Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butchering a Hog. The Kill and Slaughter. Warning: Disturbing and Graphic Images.

Options

Comments

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Thanks for the share, @SGH.  Looking forward to the rest of the story.  It's all new to me.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @SGH - Thanks for posting, I showed it to my 11 yr old. He got a kick out of the anus removal, apparantly anus is a trigger word for adolescent humor
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,168
    Options
    DMW said:
    @SGH - Thanks for posting, I showed it to my 11 yr old. He got a kick out of the anus removal, apparantly anus is a trigger word for adolescent humor
    You mean humour, without the qualifier.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,168
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @SGH I'm curious about the shot from behind left ear towards right eye.

We used 22 shorts, but right between the eyes.  Sometimes you would get a richochet, is that why you use behind the ear?

Also, why the skinning rack?  If you have it hung why not just skin there?  Also, why not shoot, hang, then bleed out?

I'm merely a novice seeking some answers.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @DMW Here are a few more random slaughter shots.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Did you clean, rinse, and pack any intestines for casings?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    @SGH I'm curious about the shot from behind left ear towards right eye.

We used 22 shorts, but right between the eyes.  Sometimes you would get a richochet, is that why you use behind the ear?

Also, why the skinning rack?  If you have it hung why not just skin there?  Also, why not shoot, hang, then bleed out?

There are many ways to reach the same end. The behind the ear shot is almost fool proof. By your own admission above, the between the eyes shot is not. As far as the skinning rack, it's much easier due to you having easy access to get around the hog and work. The biggest hog we killed was well over 300 pounds and almost 7 feet in length. Now hang a 7 foot hog that is raised a foot in the air and that puts you trying to reach the rear end that is now approximately 8 feet or more in the air. If they are small short hogs, then I usually hang and skin them. But on the real long hogs, the skinning rack is much more practical. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    Did you clean, rinse, and pack any intestines for casings?
    No sir. The only internals that I kept was hearts and livers. Just didn't have time to fool with it due to all of the grinding and curing. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited December 2015
    Options
    For the record, I'm no pro myself. In a time gone by, I was decent at it though my friend. The old knife skills are just not what they use to be. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    "Even a very astute tongue can not tell the difference between the anus and real calamari"

this has to be the best thing ever written on here. Ever. 

Did you like that one better than "Of all the land animals"? 

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    "Even a very astute tongue can not tell the difference between the anus and real calamari"

this has to be the best thing ever written on here. Ever. 

Did you like that one better than "Of all the land animals"? 
    This is my new favorite. It's not even close. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options

@SGH - Scotty - you clearly respect the animals and that is the necessary ingredient here.

Your Momma raised you right, sir.
  • SGH
    Options

@SGH - Scotty - you clearly respect the animals and that is the necessary ingredient here.

Your Momma raised you right, sir.
    I have always tried to be as humane as possible when slaughtering and harvesting animals. And thank you brother. 

Status- Standing by.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Looks pretty crazy.. You mentioned these were wild boars?  I understood wild boar to taste pretty terrible. I've never had any personally. What's your opinion?
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Looks pretty crazy.. You mentioned these were wild boars?  I understood wild boar to taste pretty terrible. I've never had any personally. What's your opinion?
    Only one was a wild Russian. The other three were just domesticated slop hogs brother Grim. When the cure and cold smoke is complete, come by and try some of each and see what you think my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    SGH said:
    Only one was a wild Russian. The other three were just domesticated slop hogs brother Grim. When the cure and cold smoke is complete, come by and try some of each and see what you think my friend. 
    I will definitely take you up on that!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    edited December 2015
    Options
    I will definitely take you up on that!
    Depending on this stupid weather that we are having, it's coming out of the cure and getting hung somewhere between Wednesday and Friday. I'm hoping for Wednesday, tired of fooling around.  

Status- Standing by.

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Scott - thanks much for posting these. Any person offended by the contents of this post did themselves a disservice by not reading the thread title. I applaud the care with which you perform this task. I do have a question. I observed (didn't want to use "saw" twice) you using a saw to cut through the rib cage. I know NOT cutting into the guts is crucial as not to spread bacteria. Have you ever accidentally cut too deep/far? If so, what does one do in that situation? Scrap the whole thing? Grab a new knife and cut away any potential contact meat? Thanks again.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    it is amazing that most of the guts are in a sack and comes out pretty cleanly. (all the stuff that went into the bucket).   While at Excel, during a tour I watch probably 75 head go from walking to 2 hanging sides in very short order. It is a brutal business, but, it is where 90% of our meat comes from.  That one plant averaged 10K head/day.  
  • SGH
    edited December 2015
    Options
    @Hibby
    Brother, I hope that I can make this make sense. When using the saw to aid in breaking primals, the guts and inards are already removed. The only cut that I make with the guts still inside the carcass is at the 4th rib starting from the skull counting towards the rear end. This is just to get through the spine to help in removing the head. At this part of the carcass, there is no intestines. Only, lungs and heart. So no harm no foul if you nick the heart or lungs. But to answer the question in general about busting the guts or bile sacks, as long as you wash it immediately with fresh cool water, all is well my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options

I think this would be a great slogan for the Butt Blast in April.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    Options

I think this would be a great slogan for the Butt Blast in April.
    My plan is to make imitation calamari at Butt Blast =)

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm having shirts made. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Note to self: avoid calamari 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    You always did strike me as more of an anus man.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SGH
    edited December 2015
    Options
    On a very serious note brother yolk, properly cleaned and prepared anus is heavenly. You honestly have to try it to really appreciate it my friend. 

Status- Standing by.

• Roadpuke0
    Options
    SGH said:
    On a very serious note brother yolk, properly cleaned and prepared anus is heavenly. You honestly have to try it to really appreciate it my friend. 
    Ya I'll pass! i talk enough crap let alone eat it. Well cleaned or not. Just don't seem right in the head to do it.
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin