Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Finally Remembered

Options
Since getting my egg in September I've been too busy learning the nuances to remember to take pictures of the cooks and final products... Until tonight. Trial run for the Christmas prime rib. This is the junior version at 7 pounds and only 3 ribs but I was primarily testing for flavoring (and making an excuse to cook a prime rib). Initial sear on the gasser for about 5 minutes. Then onto the egg at 350-400 with some oak chunks added in. Removed at internal temp of 122. Tented for 15 minutes. Pleased with first run on the egg. By the way, although I haven't posted much yet, I appeciate all the good posts.

XL BGE, 2 22" Weber Kettles, Weber Performer, Weber Genesis

Bradenton, FL

Comments

• Hawg Fan
    Hawg Fan Posts: 1,517
    Options
    Welcome to the forum!  Nicely done on the rib roast.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Works for me!!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Looking good and it's a good start on posting your cooks.  
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Nice. Next to me try giving it a reverse sear totally on the egg. You'll love it. Welcome! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome!  That's pure $$$!!! Eggcelent post :plus_one: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Looks great. 

I usually just cook my prime rib at 325f indirect no pre or post sear.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Perfect time to remember 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Awesome!  Welcome. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Good job! Looks like you nailed it. BTW you should get a reward for the most damaged looking thermometer cable that still works! That thing has more twists and bends than I've ever seen! I've lost several cables with a lot less abuse than what you show.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Good looking trial run!  Need any trial testers?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Great cook right there.  Nothing like going big out of the gate.
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokinBuckeye
    Options
    RRP said:
    Good job! Looks like you nailed it. BTW you should get a reward for the most damaged looking thermometer cable that still works! That thing has more twists and bends than I've ever seen! I've lost several cables with a lot less abuse than what you show.
    You are right about the award. This is my original thermometer probe and it's been around the block a few times. Most of the twisting occurred before I knew any better. Hopefully the award is a new thermometer cable!

Bradenton, FL
  • SmokinBuckeye
    Options
    Nice. Next to me try giving it a reverse sear totally on the egg. You'll love it. Welcome! 
    I've seen mention of the reverse sear on the forum. Decided to wait until after the holidays to give it a try. What differences or advantages does it provide over a pre-sear.

Bradenton, FL