Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whatever your thoughts on climate change, this is BS & would cost all of us.

Options

Comments

• Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    @Begger or we could just move to a one child policy like China where you need a permit to have a kid and forced sterilization for the lame right?
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    nazis were a minority. No requirement for being a nazi party member in either wehrmacht oder luftwaffe. Oder kriegsmarine auch. 

it only took a small minority of zealots to highjack the political process and, under the guise of returning to an imagined former glory, plunge a country into xenophobia and militarism.  I Wonder if there is a lesson there
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,410
    Options
    @Davec433 - I recall recently reading that China is going away from the one child policy.  Many demographic issues and beyond but...I didn't read for consumption.  And it's Friday so who knows where this will go...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Davec433 - I recall recently reading that China is going away from the one child policy.  Many demographic issues and beyond but...I didn't read for consumption.  And it's Friday so who knows where this will go...
    You are right they have changed it to one couple 2 kids.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nice of them 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I have a self imposed ban on more than 2 kids. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Anyone see the movie "Idiocracy"?
    Options
    Was that the Democrat debate? 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Lech mir auf den arsch

(getting a head start for when we have to speak Deutsch)

"koennen sie mir sagen wie ich zur den Nazi Rally, beim Trump Tuerm, komme?"
    [social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• henapple
    Options
    Better practice arabic
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    nazis were a minority. No requirement for being a nazi party member in either wehrmacht oder luftwaffe. Oder kriegsmarine auch. 

it only took a small minority of zealots to highjack the political process and, under the guise of returning to an imagined former glory, plunge a country into xenophobia and militarism.  I Wonder if there is a lesson there
    I didn't know that.  I always figured the German military in those days required its members to be a nazi.  
    Flint, Michigan
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    No worries

history isn't important anyway!

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    So did I, until the second one was twins.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Legume said:
    I imposed 9 yrs ago so I'm good. 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I believe in global warming, our planet has been warming since the end of the last ice age.  Based on the historical evidence, what I don't believe in is that global warming is a bad thing.  Scientific analysis shows that our planet has been much warmer in the past than it is today.  That data also shows that life flourishes when the planet is warmer and life diminishes when the planet cools.  Now maybe we wimpy humans that think the temp should be 72 degrees all the time might find global warming uncomfortable, but I do not believe that it means the end of life on this planet.  Now maybe a couple of billion years from now when the sun starts turning into a red giant, then global warming will become death to all life as we get cooked to a crisp, but that is a little too far in the future for me to get all worked up about.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options
    Legume said:
    I imposed 9 yrs ago so I'm good. 
    I remember when I "imposed".  It was a coupla days before I could walk right.
     :s 

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Aber, Ich glaube das BGE ist ein Gesellschaft mit beschraentke Haftung!

Ja oder Nicht? 

• Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Btw. "Lame"?

don't be so hard on yourself bro

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Legume said:

You and me both brother! 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options

As some others have mentioned, science should have nothing to do with politics. The two areas become confused in ways that research is beginning to understand. For example, research shows that people who are high in authoritarianism (ie., are right-wing) are more likely to seek information that confirms their existing beliefs and less likely to pursue balanced information (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-9221.2005.00416.x/abstract). Science requires an open mind, because inconvenient findings can lead to a complete change in personal beliefs, understanding, and behaviours.

For those who posted that the science has not PROVEN global warming, or that they don’t believe the science, or that the field of climate research has been corrupted by a grand conspiracy, I think you might enjoy spending a bit of time learning about what science really is, and its purpose. I don’t mean that in a patronizing way. It's just that it is impossible to have an informed opinion about scientific findings if you don’t know anything about science. 

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • henapple
    Options
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Science is really simple to understand if you choose to read and understand science.  It also splains what we know as of today.  Either edumacate yourself or ignore science.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Burning fossil fuels does not contribute to global warming; nor does it heat your home. It just a myth.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Well, if you believe that therm for therm, you ignore logic.  If you believe volcanic activity blows away human input, you have an argument.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    If you want to see what runaway carbon can do, look no further than the planet Venus.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Fart noises?
    Steve753 said:
    If you want to see what runaway carbon can do, look no further than the planet Venus.
    Who says we have runaway carbon?  Plants eat carbon dioxide here on Earth.  Are there plants on Venus?  No, there are none.  The Earth continually cleans itself.  Look at the Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.  That was deemed catastrophic and will ruin the ecology of the gulf along with the fishery.  That caused some problems, but barely a year later, everything is back to normal.

We have pretty good regulation already. In the US, the air is pretty clean and so is the water.  As long as we stick to the existing laws, there's no reason to shoot our economy down with more regs.  Man is not causing global warming.  The earth is not warming.  Why hasn't the mean temps gone up the last 16 years?

Let me close with another tidbit.  Did you know that parts of Greenland were actively farmed 1,200 years ago?  Frozen Greenland was farmed for about 400 years.  The crop of choice was barley.  The point is the climate was warm in that pre-industrial time and man had nothing to do with it.  It has since gotten colder and man had nothing to do with that either.
    Flint, Michigan
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Massive deforestation has significantly impacted how much carbon can be naturally reduced during the earth's natural carbon cycle
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Steve753 said:
    Who says we have runaway carbon?  Plants eat carbon dioxide here on Earth.  Are there plants on Venus?  No, there are none.  The Earth continually cleans itself.  Look at the Horizon oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.  That was deemed catastrophic and will ruin the ecology of the gulf along with the fishery.  That caused some problems, but barely a year later, everything is back to normal.

We have pretty good regulation already. In the US, the air is pretty clean and so is the water.  As long as we stick to the existing laws, there's no reason to shoot our economy down with more regs.  Man is not causing global warming.  The earth is not warming.  Why hasn't the mean temps gone up the last 16 years?

Let me close with another tidbit.  Did you know that parts of Greenland were actively farmed 1,200 years ago?  Frozen Greenland was farmed for about 400 years.  The crop of choice was barley.  The point is the climate was warm in that pre-industrial time and man had nothing to do with it.  It has since gotten colder and man had nothing to do with that either.
    There is so much wrong with this post it's difficult to know where to start.  Every paragraph contains incorrect information and/or logical fallacies.  Well done Fred.

I'll just comment on the Deepwater Horizon spill, as I think I've addressed most of your other misconceptions before.  About a month ago, NOAA and the Deepwater Horizon Trustees released a draft plan for gulf restoration.  It is actually open to public comment until mid-December, so I encourage people who are legitimately intellectually curious to read it.  The plan can be found here:

http://www.gulfspillrestoration.noaa.gov/restoration-planning/gulf-plan/

This is a comprehensive, 15-year plan that will cost around $10B.  It will take that long and cost that much because of the extensive damage that was done and how difficult it will be to mitigate it.  But yeah, like you wrote, everything is "back to normal."

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike