Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Porterhouse and Spudz

Options
Went Christmas shopping for the grandkids today and ended pretty close to Fresh Market so we stopped in for some beef. They had nice looking Porterhouses so that is what will be for dinner. Took it home and hit it with a dry brine of kosher salt for 3hrs. This is after I blotted the moister off each side 
imagejpeg 
imagejpeg 

Got the mini fired up at 600° and the small at 250° indirect with a lil bit of oak. So on to the mini for a 90 sec sear on each side than into the small to finish roasting. The steak was pulled at 135 IT. Sorry for the lack of egg pics but it was getting dark so I only have plated pics. 
imagejpeg 

Thanks for taking the time to look. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    Options
    Oh, yeah...............looks excellent! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    That's still my favorite cut of steak!  Nice cook. 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Steak looks great, but I really like the loaded baked potato just sitting there pretending not to be important.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Nice cut there. Expertly executed as well. Kudos!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I wish I had the nerve to ask Santa for either a mini or a MM. You make the mini seem like a necessity. Well done. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    @SciAggie - maybe not a necessity but it sure is a convenience. I knew I would use the mini when I bought it but I never figured it would almost take over my egg cooks.  The only thing I haven't done on it is stir fry.  

analyze adapt overcome

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @Mattman3969 Wait a minute - which egg do you do those amazing stir fries on? I would have sworn it was the mini. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Stir fry has only been on the large so far. I got to get a wok for the mini then it's on!!

analyze adapt overcome

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Dude. What a meal! Beautiful.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Thank you,sir!!

analyze adapt overcome

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Nice cook, as noted above by the egg all over you guy, my favourite cut of meat. Lately, for the sear I've been using my Weber Smokey Joe, 20 briquettes and some chip lump and it sears very well. BTW - that tater is off the wall. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Skiddymarker you will henceforth be referred to as the dirty underwear guy!  B)
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Drooling.  Nice looking steak.
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Skiddymarker you will henceforth be referred to as the dirty underwear guy!  B)
    Can't argue with the truth - it is what it is........
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Nice cook, as noted above by the egg all over you guy, my favourite cut of meat. Lately, for the sear I've been using my Weber Smokey Joe, 20 briquettes and some chip lump and it sears very well. BTW - that tater is off the wall. 
    I've used briquettes in the mini and it gives an excellent sear so I know where you at coming from on the sear from briquettes. That is a much better sear than from lump IMHO. M

analyze adapt overcome

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Very good point, @DMW how could a tater like that not be important! !
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Just finished my meal and I want yours.  This is not a good night for dieters.

Question:  You roasted at 250 ... do you use that temp all the time?  How thick was the steak?  I like how even the core of your steak is cooked.  Start at room temp or out of the fridge?

We usually cook rib-eyes cut to 1-3/4" to 2" thick.  Roast at 350 degrees with a reverse sear.  Any advise?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Yeah buddy. Spectacular looking grub my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Killer Matt!  Absolutely killer!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Looking great
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Just finished my meal and I want yours.  This is not a good night for dieters.

Question:  You roasted at 250 ... do you use that temp all the time?  How thick was the steak?  I like how even the core of your steak is cooked.  Start at room temp or out of the fridge?

We usually cook rib-eyes cut to 1-3/4" to 2" thick.  Roast at 350 degrees with a reverse sear.  Any advise?

I've had decent luck with reverse sear but have pretty much given up on it as the TRex or forward sear is so much easier to control final temps.  For this cook I let the steak lay out for maybe 20mins while the mini was getting hot.  Then it was a 90sec sear per side on the mini at 600 direct then I let it rest for about 15 mins so the filet would equalize temp with the other side then it went on the small indirect at 250 with 1 oak chunk till it hit 135IT.   I've done my last few steaks this way.  If I have a steak that is 1 1/4" or thinner I will just do hot and fast with several flips.  Reverse sear on steaks is just to hard to control final temp IMHO.  

analyze adapt overcome

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Thanks Matt ... I agree with the flip-flip on thinner steaks. 

Will have to fire up both eggs next time and try a forward sear.  Thanks for the feedback.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Mattman3969
    Options
    That's why you have 2 eggs,right?  Lol.  

Im guessing you could roast at a higher temp if you wanted but I like the slower response time. 

analyze adapt overcome

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Where's my plate Matt :angry: 
    Nice :clap: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Dude we only had 1 steak but if you let me know in advance next time I'll hook you and MaMa up. 

analyze adapt overcome

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Matt that is top notch. Great meal!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    This definitely gets my attention. Looking good.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Gorgeous. My screen is soaking after looking at that PRoN. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .