Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pink Butcher Paper on sale.

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2015
    Options
    blasting said:
    And you're still going to order that 1000' roll?  Wow, you must in some serious volume.

Yes sir, I'm still ordering it. I had already ordered this when you posted the link. We use a lot of paper. Sandwiches get wrapped in it, fried chicken gets drained on it, crawfish and shrimp get rested on it etc, etc. A roll doesn't last long around here my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Mine came today too.  I didn't realize how short in length the roll was.  My original is like 1,000 ft.   lol.   Can't wait to try it.  I can taste the difference now.   lol  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,209
    Options
    Durangler said:
    Perfect. Thanks Scottie! @SGH
    Is that going to work in your container? My 18" is far from being used up, but my 24" is winding down. 
    Would love to see your results/ set up. 
    Great idea!! 
    Looks like it'll work just fine. The plastic inserts that hold the foil are designed for a 1" inner tube and according to @SGH 's pic, the paper also has a 1" inner tube. The foil box will hold up to a 3 1/4" roll. 
    This will work better than the standard cutter because I can stack this in the pantry. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,165
    Options
    I have a 1200' roll.  My kids use it for their art projects too.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Who needs the gay pink stuff when you can have the more manly white stuff for much cheaper?
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Durangler said:
    Perfect. Thanks Scottie! @SGH
    Is that going to work in your container? My 18" is far from being used up, but my 24" is winding down. 
    Would love to see your results/ set up. 
    Great idea!! 
    Looks like it'll work just fine. The plastic inserts that hold the foil are designed for a 1" inner tube and according to @SGH 's pic, the paper also has a 1" inner tube. The foil box will hold up to a 3 1/4" roll. 
    This will work better than the standard cutter because I can stack this in the pantry. 
    Nice @DoubleEgger ...
    Thank you for the follow-up.
    I'll keep my foil box dispensers.
    Time to order up paper now!  =)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Who needs the gay pink stuff when you can have the more manly white stuff for much cheaper?

If you're ok with buying the paper without the magical brisket power, then that is the right stuff.

Phoenix 
  • SGH
    Options
    blasting said:
    If you're ok with buying the paper without the magical brisket power, then that is the right stuff.

For anyone who can't find or afford the pink paper, you can use unicorn tears in your rub and it will make up the difference ;) It's preferable to use both the unicorn tears and the pink paper for absolute best results though.  

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,165
    Options
    SGH said:
    blasting said:

For anyone who can't find or afford the pink paper, you can use unicorn tears in your rub and it will make up the difference ;) It's preferable to use both the unicorn tears and the pink paper for absolute best results though.  
    I save unicorn tears for my baby panda steaks.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    The roll from Amazon really is a rip off.  They're making a killing on that.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • blasting
    Options
    SGH said:
    blasting said:

I looked it up online and it appears to be exactly the same as the pink, and it's confirmed to not be coated and be 40lb.  Even a better buy than RD.

I'm actually poking fun at myself for buying the pink stuff just because it's "the thing to do".

Phoenix 
  • SGH
    Options
    cazzy said:
    The roll from Amazon really is a rip off.  They're making a killing on that.
    After seeing the deal someone posted farther back up in this thread, I agree. It was 1,000 feet of the pink paper for the price I payed for a tube. Heck I think it was blasting who shared it. 

Status- Standing by.

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    SGH said:
    blasting said:

I save unicorn tears for my baby panda steaks.
    SRF had a special on Panda filets but I didn't have a coupon.  I did jump on the Kobe Koala shoulder. Do you dilute the tears or go straight up?
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • SGH
    Options
    swordsmn said:
     Do you dilute the tears or go straight up?
    Do not dilute them. However you can enhance them with a little Pixie dust ;)

Status- Standing by.

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options
    ya'll wrap yer Fords and Chevy's in booucher paper?

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• SGH
    Options
    bcsnave said:
    ya'll wrap yer Fords and Chevy's in booucher paper?
    I did wrap a fried turkey last night that turned out very good. I may try to fry one wrapped in paper next time ;)

Status- Standing by.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    blasting said:
    SGH said:
    blasting said:

I looked it up online and it appears to be exactly the same as the pink, and it's confirmed to not be coated and be 40lb.  Even a better buy than RD.

I'm actually poking fun at myself for buying the pink stuff just because it's "the thing to do".

It's the same. I've used tons of it.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    edited November 2015
    Options

@SGH I deep fried with paper....skin came out nice and crispy

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    blasting said:
    SGH said:
    Mine just came. 3 new rolls. Time to get to cooking!!

And you're still going to order that 1000' roll?  Wow, you must in some serious volume.

I'm seeing the lawyer this week to spell out how my new 1000' roll will work it's way down through future generations.

I know a good paper attorney. He also deals in old maverick probes and cracked bases
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    I didn't realize that there was so much difference in butcher paper. Wax, no wax! I got the pink stuff
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • SGH
    Options
    MaC122 said:
    I didn't realize that there was so much difference in butcher paper. Wax, no wax! I got the pink stuff
    That is the upshot of buying the pink. It only comes in one weight (40#) and there is not a coated version that I know of. Can't go wrong other than maybe the price. But as stated earlier in this post, if you call Oren you can get 1,000 feet for 40 something bucks. 

Status- Standing by.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Just picked up my second 24"X900 40# non coated roll at RD. It was on sale. Getting ready for the SRF Brisket for this weekend. The plan is coming together.....
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Getting ready for the SRF Brisket for this weekend. The plan is coming together.....
    Can't wait to see it brother. If this is your first SRF, you are in for a real treat.  

Status- Standing by.

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Just picked up my second 24"X900 40# non coated roll at RD. It was on sale. Getting ready for the SRF Brisket for this weekend. The plan is coming together.....
    While I support wrapping, it really isn't necessary to wrap a SRF.  People wrap to prevent oversmoking, which isn't a problem on the egg because of our fuel source.  They also wrap to protect the flat and some wrap to speed up a cook.  

The SRF brisket has more marbling in the flat than any brisket you've ever used, so unless you really screw up, you're going to have incredible results.  Speaking of screwing up, if this is your first time wrapping, I wouldn't use a SRF as your first test subject.  You could end up overshooting or end up with a mushy texture. 

Just advice...several of us have cooked a SRF without wrapping and achieved incredible results.  Just remember, SRF briskets are sometimes done in the 180-190 range, so start checking for resistance earlier than you normally would.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    cazzy said:
    YukonRon said:
    While I support wrapping, it really isn't necessary to wrap a SRF.  People wrap to prevent oversmoking, which isn't a problem on the egg because of our fuel source.  They also wrap to protect the flat and some wrap to speed up a cook.  

The SRF brisket has more marbling in the flat than any brisket you've ever used, so unless you really screw up, you're going to have incredible results.  Speaking of screwing up, if this is your first time wrapping, I wouldn't use a SRF as your first test subject.  You could end up overshooting or end up with a mushy texture. 

Just advice...several of us have cooked a SRF without wrapping and achieved incredible results.  Just remember, SRF briskets are sometimes done in the 180-190 range, so start checking for resistance earlier than you normally would.
    Will do! I really appreciate the advice. This is going to be for my relatives and friends coming up from Texas, and I really want to make this the best I possibly can. I have one bag of Rockwood left, and I plan on using it for this cook. Keep the SRF info coming, lord knows, this Yeti owner and Ford driver could use it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,209
    Options
    I agree that you don't need to wrap a SRF. I've had good luck going commando. Enjoy the ride! 
  • blasting
    Options

Gotta give a shout out to 24" butcher paper on a dispenser.  

Briskets taste better, and gifts wrap easier.

Phoenix 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

That is how I used to make my school book covers back in the day....

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    Options
    blasting said:
    Briskets taste better, and gifts wrap easier.
    My wife wrapped a few of our gifts in pink and white paper this year as well. I wanted to drizzle a little grease on them to make them look authentic. The wife didn't go for it though. 

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @blasting
    The cutter makes life easy doesn't it my friend. 

Status- Standing by.