Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Planked Salmon (Maple Glazed and Honey Mustard Glazed)

Options

What a fantastic  and easy week night cook! My wife and I love salmon..especially when it is grilled.  This was our first attempt on the BGE with planked salmon and these two recipes did not disappoint!  We have cooked both types Maple Glazed and Honey Mustard several times and they are lights out good.

Maple Glazed Planked Salmon (Recipe from Big Green App)

Glaze Ingredients:

• 3 table spoons Maple Syrup
  • 3 table spoons Butter, Melted (Do not taste and eat before applying.  You will not have any left for the salmon it tastes  just like icing :) )

Marinade:

• 1/3 Cup Olive Oil
  • 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
  • 1/3 Cup Lemon Juice
  • 1/3 Cup Soy Sauce

Instructions:

1. Mix marinade ingredients together until sugar is dissolved
  2. Place fish and marinade into zip lock bag for 1-3 hours
  3. Preheat the EGG to 400°F/204°C.
  4. Place the cedar planks on the grid, close the lid of the EGG, and preheat for 3 minutes and repeat.
  5. Season the salmon with salt and pepper and brush generously with the maple glaze. Close the lid of the EGG. Cook the salmon for 12 to 15 minutes for medium.

Mustard and Honey Glazed Planked Salmon

http://www.biggreenegg.com/recipes/grilled-salmon/

Ingredients:

• 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • ½ cup Dijon mustard
  • ¼ cup honey
  • 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
  • 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme plus extra for garnish
  • 4 (7-ounce) salmon fillets, skin on
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Instruction:

1. Preheat the EGG to 400°F/204°C.
  2. Place the cedar planks in a pan, cover with water, and let soak for 1 hour.
  3. Whisk the mustard, honey, balsamic vinegar, orange zest, and 1 teaspoon thyme together in a small bowl.
  4. Place the cedar planks on the grid, close the lid of the EGG, and preheat for 3 minutes and repeat
  5. Season the salmon with salt and pepper and brush generously with the honey glaze. Close the lid of the EGG. Cook the salmon for 12 to 15 minutes for medium.

Only problem here was we did not cook enough fish!!  Please give these recipes a try if you have not already, you will not be disappointed! 

Comments

• Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Sounds and looks delicious. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Those both look excellent.  Do you have a favorite between the two? 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options
    Those both look excellent.  Do you have a favorite between the two? 
    @SmokeyPitt I really enjoyed them both. The maple glazed was a bit more "flakey" but both had excellent flavor and both were extremely tender.  If you are in the mood for something a bit more sweet go the maple route.  SmokeyPitt said:
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Darby_Crenshaw Posts: 2,657
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Looks good. Try without the platesetter next time. The planks make it indirect anyway, plus you get some smoke from the planks charring, which is part of tje rationale for planks in the first place. 

you can skip the preheat too. They will smoke too much for some folks if you preheat them direct

cheaper planks can be had too by buying some maple, cedar, etc at the lumber yard or big box. Saves some cash that way. I think williams sonoma set the record for price gouging by putting a pair of maple boards at nearly twenty bucks

of course they were marketed as 'culinary grade'. ;)

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• WAHOO_EGGER_CVILLE
    Options
    Looks good. Try without the platesetter next time. The planks make it indirect anyway, plus you get some smoke from the planks charring, which is part of tje rationale for planks in the first place. 

you can skip the preheat too. They will smoke too much for some folks if you preheat them direct

cheaper planks can be had too by buying some maple, cedar, etc at the lumber yard or big box. Saves some cash that way. I think williams sonoma set the record for price gouging by putting a pair of maple boards at nearly twenty bucks

of course they were marketed as 'culinary grade'. ;)

Darby, will definitely give that a shot next time.  No chance I am purchasing those pricey planks from WS.   Thank you for the advice!! Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!