Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whatever happened to independent thinking??

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,349
edited October 2015 in Off Topic
Okay-early Friday PM (EDT) (And not yet into low earth orbit:) ) but I find the recent number of "How do I ...(insert a common hunk of beef, pork or chicken or lighting process or other basic BGE function) posts to be much more in number than I recall even in the height of BGE initial Spring buying season.  I realize that this forum is quite valuable with the information found here, but I know that using Google and  adding "egghead forum" "or "big green egg"  will get you here and provide a wealth of initial base-line articles from which to assess and then post any questions that you have after venturing out on your own.  Friday night and now off the soap box and fueling the rocket engine to hit the orbit.  FWIW-
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,046
    Options
    Sometimes it is easy to just follow step-by-steps and you get trapped.

Sometimes I miss getting to make my own mistakes.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,046
    Options
    @SGH I think you are spot on.  Especially the ice breaker part.  Easier to dip a toe in by asking for help.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @SGH- appreciate your post as you raise some eggcellent points.  I have no issue with anyone posting here about any topic. And if I can add something to the question/commentary I will.  As you well know, there are many ways to get to the finish-line of any cook.  The search function will give you several threads to digest.  I just wonder how many of the initial "How do you.." have taken the initiative to see what the options/variables really are.  But that's fuel for another rocket launch...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gamecockeggman
    Options
    Team, you should bask in the glory of respect the inquiry directs towards your eggcellence and eggperience.  Pride should be taken when newbies reach out for help and guidance.  Do not forget that once upon a time the regulars who frequent this site were beginners and they too needed encouragement before they jumped into the deepened of the pool.  I am perhaps one of those.  Ok.....I have had a few Captain Morgan's, and will leave it at that.  Cheers!!!
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    lousubcap said:
     I just wonder how many of the initial "How do you.." have taken the initiative to see what the options/variables really are.  
    Again, this is just speculation on my part, but I think that most of them do actually search. You can usually spot the guys  who haven't searched and are totally at a loss. Their questions will usually be very generic and straightforward. The guys who have searched and came up with what the believe is right will usually ask a compound or two fold question. They will ask the question and then offer their own solution. This leads me to believe that they have done some research and come up with a viable solution to their own question. However they simply want that second opinion from the forum. Sometimes reassurance is a good thing. There are times that I will seek advice from Nola on certain Cajun dishes. In this arena, his knowledge far exceeds mine and as such I capitalize on it. For Sous Vide I consult both Nola and brother Grim. Here again, their knowledge far exceeds mine. While I can certainly hold my own, these fellows can usually tell me a easier or better way, and as such I capitalize on it. When you are just starting out or trying something for the first time, it gives you confidence when someone that you trust offers input. Anyone who wanted to cook a brisket for the first would be wise to ask yours, cazzys and brother Tex's opinion. No matter how many times it's been answered, a beginner wants to hear it again. We may never know how many actually search, but I feel it's a large segment of them simply basing it on the fact that they usually offer their own answer and and seeking confirmation before proceeding. With all of the above said, what do you y'all all think about Royal Oak ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• lousubcap
    Options
    SGH said: With all of the above said, what do you y'all all think about Royal Oak? 

I will tell you that RO is much more palatable than the snake (AKA: HRC) just to take this thread down a Friday night dirt road.  ;)

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Lou - you are onto something, the techno crowd needs an app to get to the search app to get to the forum app, independent thinking went out with the systematic approach to research, now it is whatever just jumps up and bites your ass or whatever you trip over... 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    I've stopped asking general questions for the most part.  Too many contrasting opinions is harder to wade through than searching.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Legume said:
    I've stopped asking general questions for the most part.  Too many contrasting opinions is harder to wade through than searching.
    I disagree with half of that, agree with the other half, and I'm completely neutral on the last half.
    Options
    Legume said:
    I disagree with half of that, agree with the other half, and I'm completely neutral on the last half.
    I take it you don't vote party line? :wink: 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
    I used to be a member of a muscle car forum and people including myself would ask what seemed like stupid questions all the time. It's part of the learning curve and everyone is on it in different places. Not only is it a way to socialize but if whenever someone ask a question and all they get back is "utilize the search" the forum might as well die and be a book.

Check out this forum http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/index.php

All types of rules and you must do a search before posting. If you don't a moderator will quickly point it out to you and your thread will fade. Also look at the last date posted in all their sub-forums - little to no traffic compared to this place.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    DMW said:
    Legume said:

I filled out my voting cheat sheet for tomorrow.  I am voting for people of both the republican and democrat parties.  But first I am going fishing.
    Options
    DMW said:
    Legume said:

I filled out my voting cheat sheet for tomorrow.  I am voting for people of both the republican and democrat parties.  But first I am going fishing drinking.
    FTFY
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    @lousubcap , I think you know my stance. Hell,  I was the one called a moron when I said something.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Dwayne, you might as well added breathing and morning grumpy to that.  Some things are a given.
    Options
    I think a lot of this forum is regurgitated with the flux of new eggers and guys leaving. . It's part of the gig. 

Not sure I can help another person decide what size second egg  =)

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Well, I, for one, have solicited guidance on many occasion from all of you, and thankfully, you folks were kind enough to help. I have had incredible success, thanks to you, and have appreciated greatly your help and very kind comments on my posts.
    I have frequently mentioned this forum, and you all specifically,to numerous folks who want to learn from the absolute best. They have. They have thanked me for turning them on to this forum. They learned from you.
    You folks rock. To borrow a quote from the Bard, "Heavy is the head that wears the crown." Sucks to be you, but not really.
    Thank you, for helping me.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky