Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What Music are you listining to right now

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 16,001
    A great cover of Chicago's greatest tune, (I've been) Searchin' So Long.  Their version of Hey Jude.  Love Leonid and Friends!  

https://youtu.be/XEDatFQ3m98?si=l34-Ft1gdoLqMAbG

Curry smells a hell of a lot better than a Big Mac, just sayin'  

• Botch

Totally unexpected.  This popped up yesterday!

https://youtu.be/JhWrggrJ20I?si=l3m-07LsNhsCcTkB 

The Carpenters were all over my Jr High/High School years, and I really didn't give them much thought.  It wasn't until later in my life that I realized how etherial Karen's vox were, and how good Richard's arrangements are.  Superstar eventually became my favorite song of theirs, and the instrumental intro is one of the finest ever crafted.  Leonid's "hot chick's" vocal here doesn't quite match Karen's, but they're very, very close.  Wow!    

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    edited October 2023

Interesting thread (click "Show More" to open thread) about the Vegas Sphere and U2.

Plans are to build another Sphere in London and some smaller Sphere's (spherelets?) in other cities.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Botch
    The Sphere solved the issue with its 167k speakers including one in each seat. Effectively, every person is “getting studio-quality sound” according to James Dolan (owner of NY Knicks, NY Rangers, MSG and the man behind the Sphere). 
    I remember reading about this feature before...
    Where was it?  Where was it?

Oh Yeah!  The stereo speakers built into each of the two headrests in the ~1983 Pontiac Fiero!   B)    

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,380
    I really want to see a good planetarium show in that thing.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 15,017
  • Botch
    I don't speak much French, but I could listen to her sing in french all week.  In fact, I might.  Beautiful!

https://youtu.be/Vifphml57hc?si=epTC8yLes6wMviLU

• Botch
    Prince's "1999", a double album had the fawnky hit Dance, Music, Sex, Romance (DMSR). I taped it in college on a 90-minute cassette and about wore it out. Bought 1999 on CD when CDs came out, they were able to squeeze that double album onto one CD, by leaving off one song: DMSR?!?!? Subsequent Prince GH and compilation CDs never included DMSR, I just couldn't find a digital copy of it anywhere; wondered if Purple Guy grew to hate the song and never played it again. I just checked, and it is now posted on EweTube; good to hear it again.

https://youtu.be/awkJVD7mQLw?si=3do_2RFo_lSr4L1E

• Botch
    Another extremely different quartet with Louis Cole.  Upright bass thru an Envelope Filter, a synth, Louis on ferocious drums, and...  a button Accordian???  Dayam, this is good!  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9b_u2fk6c-g

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 33,191
    found this yesterday =)

some new music for the office

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    So that's where the "Union Jacques" originated...  I enjoyed that piece.   B)

• fishlessman
    Botch said:
    So that's where the "Union Jacques" originated...  I enjoyed that piece.   B)

fits in with my musical hallucinations, i just go with it. you can google that. water seems to trigger it =) im completely tone deaf, cant hear the highs, and yet.......a full orchestra plays out of nowhere at times
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    Picking this one up tomorrow!

https://youtu.be/eAyxdbF8GAg?si=83GaDnNm9hYRRc90

• Botch
    The Man in the Brown Shorts™ just dropped this off from a young artist called Laufey, who is picking up Disney/Jazz/Pop styles and incorporating it into her COVID/Internetz style.

Then, 30 minutes later, I see Adam Neeley did an hour-long EweTube on why she isn't really jazz, but he had some very interesting history to discuss too. 

https://youtu.be/68zOvCLwcL8?si=xH5Dcl4Oph1TCIGb

I haven't listened to the Laufey disk yet, it will be replacing the latest Louis Cole CD that's been in the car the past month, who's another youngster taking old styles in a new direction.

The kids are all right.

• Botch
    Just saw the "official" video for the "new" Beatles tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opxhh9Oh3rg&t=275s

For some reason, it kinda gives me the creeps, not sure why.  The mix of old and new reminds me of the new Stones video, with AI-generated concert footage from various stages in the band's career.  

• Botch

The "Professor of Rock" ewetube channel just reviewed Dire Straits' third album Making Movies, and I learned one of the 4 songs cut from the record was Twistin' by the Pool (rightly, as it didn't fit the rest of the album) but boy did it bring a smile to my face, got a few past bands to learn this and it always packed the dance floor.  Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/DsJ5aYK-S6Y?si=dsE7IvUT58gHi2hj

• Botch
    And then, there's this!   :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiM7ZsneF64

• Botch
    Rick Beato just talked about a workshop that the great Frank Gambale did at a NAMM show three years ago.  Just fantastic chops!  

https://youtu.be/B3D0Dtk8c4w?si=JXQcaLc_G6a8abSI

• fishlessman
    How much money are ABBA making from ABBA Voyage?
    $2 million a week
    Abba is making more than $2 million a week touring as avatars. Seven times a week, the Swedish supergroup ABBA performs in front of a sold-out crowd in east London. None of the band's four members are on stage.

is this the future.....live concerts with no band......
    fukahwee maine

• Botch
    $2 million a week
    Abba is making more than $2 million a week touring as avatars. Seven times a week, the Swedish supergroup ABBA performs in front of a sold-out crowd in east London. None of the band's four members are on stage.

I saw KISS (the carbon units) just did the same thing.  

• fishlessman
    Botch said:
    $2 million a week

I saw KISS (the carbon units) just did the same thing.  

im not sure a kiss concert in full makeup or a generated avatar screen would be that much different. =) i would not pay for it though
    fukahwee maine

• Botch

I kinda stopped following KC after Belew left; heard a couple tracks on ewetube and decided to find this one (no, I didn't pay the current amazoid price  :o ).  
    Levin is in on bass/Stick, I don't recognize the others (one's a horn player) but the arpeggios are gone; Tony is just growling in the lower register (a beautiful thing) and Fripp is doing mostly frippertronics here (lots of guitar loops/echoes and tone mods, but no rhythmic arpeggios).  Good "lights out and turn it up" music.  

• Botch
    edited December 2023
    Here's a prolly boring cover band story.
    I moved here to Ogden in 1995, late December.  Once I got settled I put an ad in the paper, looking for a band to join.  A group called "Nightwing" responded, I talked to the guitar player over the phone for quite awhile, and he said, "Come audition with us for a set, 9 pm at Sebastian's".  This ended up being a "live" audition in a club, with no prior rehearsal, but it sounded like I knew all the tunes they played.  
    First set/audition went well, I thanked them all, and started tearing down my gear.  Soon they stopped me and asked, "Could you play one more set, we'll pay you for it?"  I stopped tearing down and sat with them for the rest of the break.
    While we got back on stage for the second set, one guitarist started warming up thru "Nights in White Satin", and I pulled up a flute patch on the ol' DX-7 and started fumbling around for the notes, and then the whole band said "Yeah!" and they launched into the song!  I was yelling "Wait, wait, I've never played this before!" but we got thru it, and I could hear how they ended the tune without the mamby-pamby poetry at the end, and it finished okay.  Dancers loved it.
    End of the second set, and they asked me to stay the rest of the night, with full pay.  End of the third set, they offered me the job.  They were the house band for Sebastian's, and I played there every weekend for the next nine months.  

Then, showed up on a Friday, and the club was taped off, with the other band guys standing in the parking lot.  Our drummer, and recent new club owner of Sebastian's, was caught selling drugs on HAFB (he, I, the lead guitarist, and the rhythm guitarist's wife were all Civil Servants there).  He lost Sebastian's, his band, his wife, his job (two years before full federal retirement!), and ended up in prison.  I ran into our old LG on base, and learned that after he was released, he was repairing barb-wire fencelines up in Montana.  A very sickening story, overall.

Oh, and here's why this just jumped up into my head.  The "Professor of Rock" just did a story about the brand-new kid hired to do lead vox in an R&B band called the Moody Blues, who auditioned, got no sleep, tried to write a new song that night, joined the band the next day, and eventually birthed Prog (at least according to PoR).  Interesting story.

https://youtu.be/tDcgGvBb-SA?si=Szl4gPh8Zxnxccju

• Botch
    "Thela Hun Jinjeet", from King Crimson's Fridays performance, much clearer video/audio than I've seen before.  Gawd I loved this band!

https://youtu.be/GrSVrcYt2m0?si=zanJDG_dGTONIvC3

• Botch

This dropped a couple weeks ago, only now been listening to it. PG's first new release in, what, 22 years?!? 
    There's a thread on another forum about older rock musicians who should hang it up, with some hilarious/very sad live video examples from Vince Neil, David Lee Roth, and even Brittney Spears that are truly horrid-sounding. 
    Peter Gabriel is 72 years old. You canNOT hear it, on this album; he sounds fantastic, and the music sounds fresh and as relevant as ever. This CD set actually has two copies of the album, each mixed/produced by a different team. I'm just learning the "Bright Side Mix" and that'll take a couple weeks; then I'll listen to the "Dark Side Mix" and maybe post my thoughts later. 
    Peter released a lot of the songs, singly, on EweTube over the past year; I only listened to the BSM of "PanOpticon", and decided not to listen to anything else and be surprised when the album was actually released (so, if you're curious you can listen to some of the tracks free). He will be touring in '24, with most of his usual band (including Manu Katché on drums, Darryl Sturmer on guitar, and in-his-eighties Tony Levin on bass/Stick). If they come as close as Denver/Phoenix, it may be worth a road trip for me. 

They don't make music like this any more... well, some do.   B)   

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,606
    edited January 1
    Something new, Radio Company. It turns out that “Dean” from Supernatural can https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=C3quk_hPWTc&pp=ygUNcmFkaW8gY29tcGFueQ%3D%3D

sing.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,977
    Botch said:

This dropped a couple weeks ago, only now been listening to it. PG's first new release in, what, 22 years?!? 
    There's a thread on another forum about older rock musicians who should hang it up, with some hilarious/very sad live video examples from Vince Neil, David Lee Roth, and even Brittney Spears that are truly horrid-sounding. 
    Peter Gabriel is 72 years old. You canNOT hear it, on this album; he sounds fantastic, and the music sounds fresh and as relevant as ever. This CD set actually has two copies of the album, each mixed/produced by a different team. I'm just learning the "Bright Side Mix" and that'll take a couple weeks; then I'll listen to the "Dark Side Mix" and maybe post my thoughts later. 
    Peter released a lot of the songs, singly, on EweTube over the past year; I only listened to the BSM of "PanOpticon", and decided not to listen to anything else and be surprised when the album was actually released (so, if you're curious you can listen to some of the tracks free). He will be touring in '24, with most of his usual band (including Manu Katché on drums, Darryl Sturmer on guitar, and in-his-eighties Tony Levin on bass/Stick). If they come as close as Denver/Phoenix, it may be worth a road trip for me. 

They don't make music like this any more... well, some do.   B)   
    Thanks for this, Botch. I did not know he’d released a new album.

Likely his last tour.  It will be worth trying to catch a show, for sure.  I’ll be on the lookout.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Botch
    edited January 24
    I'm pretty sure I've posted about Jacob Collier here before; kid is a musical genius, up there with Mozart, Wonder and Prince.  Here, he answers some questions from the internet; most of them are pretty basic but I did learn that the human voice's overtones form a major chord, which I did not know.
    But, at 10:00 or so, he demonstrates polyrhythms, 3 beats/measure with one hand and 5 b/m with the other (I used to be able to do 3 against 4, but just realized I lost that; the Police actually did that in Murder by Numbers).  Then he demonstrates doing 5 polyrhythms with the fingers of one hand: 6, 5, 4, 3, and 2 beats per measure, all at once.  I'm nowhere near smart enough to know if he actually does it (I'd have to see a video synced to the sound, with transcription, to see it).  Kid's an effin' monster!  

https://youtu.be/gpjUu2g8fOY?si=HNODPazUPYbZuuvw

• Botch
    Follow-up video that appeared on the same page.  My gawd....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K28H04Y2IdE

https://youtu.be/K28H04Y2IdE?si=Tnm6_UAC2C2UeJjj