Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Umai Dry - Dry cured pancetta

Options
Cookinbob
Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
I have been into curing meats for a couple of years now, but did not have a way to dry cure in that I do not have a chamber that is temp and humidity controlled.  Reading this forum about the Umai Dry system and doing a bit of research, I found that you can dry cure in the bags, and they have a charcuterie kit.  I bought the kit and decided on  Pancetta for my first attempt.

First cured the pork belly with lots of aromatics (Garlic, Pepper, Bay leaves, and some other stuff).  The cure used DQ # 2 curing salt which was supplied in the kit.  Once cured, I seasoned heavily with black pepper, then rolled and tied it (thanks YouTube).  Into the fridge it went on a small wire rack, waiting to lose 30% of its weight.  It started out at 2 lbs 11 oz. on July 3.  Yesterday (about 3 weeks in) it hit the target weight of 1 lb 15 oz.  Out of the fridge, sliced it into eighths, and packed 7 into food saver bags.  One of the slices was diced and sauteed into a batch of Arribiata sauce for pasta (tonight's dinner).  I'll use the rest in pasta and paella dishes.  I understand you can slice it real thin and eat it uncooked, but I am not inclined to go that route.

If you have held off on dry curing due to lack of a suitable curing chamber, there is no longer an excuse.  Works great!

XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
Rochester, NY

Comments

• Davec433
    Davec433 Posts: 463
    Options
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Yes!!!  I will take a bag. Two if allowed.   I am going to order that kit when I need more bags - probably in another 2 weeks.  Looks fantastic!
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Darby_Crenshaw
    Options
    Pancetta works fine without the bags, given it is only a couple weeks or three hanging. What is different about the charcuterie kit?

looks great, i just don't understand what they are selling that improves on the thousand year old method? Chambers aren't required, they just help ensure consistency, as with a commercial output/volume. But going au naturale is what gives you seasonal differences and 'terroir', if that is what yer into

beautiful cor in that. And yes, safe to eat raw. It's cured after all. That's the idea!  Slice super thin and eat with olive oil

when you eat prosciutto it is EXACTLY the same thing. In fact, prosciutto is only salt cured. Yours has pink salt too, no?

[social media disclaimer: irony and sarcasm may be used in some or all of user's posts; emoticon usage is intended to indicate moderately jocular social interaction; the comments toward users, their usernames, and the real people (living or dead) that they refer to are not intended to be adversarial in nature; those replying to this user are entering into a tacit agreement that they are real-life or social-media acquaintances and/or have agreed to or tacitly agreed to perpetrate occasional good-natured ribbing between and among themselves and others]

• Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    I have a capicola and a pachetta umi dry in process right now. Going to do the superzot next. He it turns out. And hope you enjoy your
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    The kit is just smaller bags, some recipes, #2 pink salt, and some "vac mouse" strips that let you vacuum and seal their bags with a Food Saver.

I did a Pancetta once before, flat, not rolled, wrapped in cheesecloth and hung in a dark part of the basement for 4-5 weeks.  Got some green mold on it, weight never dropped the full 30%, I was not as pleased with the result.  

I felt this system would work better for me and it did.  Likewise, one can dry age meat without the bags, but the proper environment is not available for most of us.

Yes it is cured with Pink salt, DQ # 2 which is also used for fermented dry cured sausages.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    edited August 2015
    Options
    It's safer, cleaner and more consistent. The real question is why would you not use the umami dry bags?  That Pancetta looks phenomenal! 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum