Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Time to get organized!

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
Last month, I did a lil google fu to see how I could better organize my spices.  I ran across this idea and I couldn't be more happy with the end result!   =)B) 

Supply List

- adhesive chalkboard liner
 - chalk marker
 - 4 oz Ball jelly jars
 - Chalkboard mason tops

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Very nice. I should do something like this  this. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice. Consider this idea stolen.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Cool idea. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Very clean looking.  You could easily date them this way as well - that's my challenge, replacing old spices when they've gone dull.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Somebody's been hitting Pintrest...... =)

Cool idea.  I REALLY need to do this very thing.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    That is not bad I suppose, but maybe you should try my method:
    1) cram all the spices in one cabinet. 
    2) when you need a spice, take every one of them out and put them on the counter.
    3) When you still can't find it, call out to your wife for help. 

Seriously though- that is pretty awesome.  
    Have you been to my house?  That's spooky!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    2) when you need a spice, take every one of them out and put them on the counter.

Me three.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Foghorn said:

Me three.
    Me four, but it's three cabinets. 

I can stop anytime I want to, don't judge. 
  • GeorgiaGirl
    Options
    That is right up my OCD alley!  Thanks for sharing.  I am definitely copying this!
  • cazzy
    Options
    That is right up my OCD alley!  Thanks for sharing.  I am definitely copying this!
    Niiice!  A few of my OCD friends on FB gave their approval too. 
  • Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Well done. My problem is that I wouldn't be able to read my own writing. =)
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Dredger said:
    Get your wife to write it.  That's what I have to do for everything. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • cazzy
    Options
    Dredger said:
    That's why I had my wife label them all!  :tongue: 
  • Dredger
    Options
    @Grillin_beersMaybe I should change my forum name, lol. I'm the wife, but hubby is an engineer (retired) and his handwriting is impeccable, so that would work.

Sorry @cazzy didn't mean to side rail your thread. Outstanding job on the spice storage solution.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • cazzy
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Dredger said:
    @Grillin_beersMaybe I should change my forum name, lol. I'm the wife, but hubby is an engineer (retired) and his handwriting is impeccable, so that would work.

Sorry @cazzy didn't mean to side rail your thread. Outstanding job on the spice storage solution.
    I prefer that all my threads to lose their sh!t...please feel free to side rail!  :tongue: 
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    WOW - Great idea.  That is exactly what we need.  We have allot of Penzies spices that we need take out each one to see what it is.

Garnerville, NY
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    @dredger my bad for assuming.  You know what they say about assuming lol.  
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    I haven't done this because it doesn't seem like a space saver to me. I'll still have to store the original bottles because those drawer sized bottles look tiny. Am I missing something? 
  • cazzy
    Options
    I haven't done this because it doesn't seem like a space saver to me. I'll still have to store the original bottles because those drawer sized bottles look tiny. Am I missing something? 
    It is more ideal for peeps who buy fresh spices.  You can take the container and zero it out, and not even deal with the bags.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    cazzy said:
      You can take the container and zero it out, and not even deal with the bags.
    What do you mean by this? 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Niiice!  A few of my OCD friends on FB gave their approval too. 
    You actually have friends ;)

cazzy said:
    I prefer that all my threads to lose their sh!t...please feel free to side rail!  :tongue: 
    Are you sure about this? I can have it spiraling down the wrong track real quick ;)  

On a serious note, that's a pretty neat idea. Thanks for sharing. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    Options
    cazzy said:
      You can take the container and zero it out, and not even deal with the bags.
    What do you mean by this? 
    In the bulk spice section of my market, you put your spices in a bag and weigh them. If I take my own containers, they use an empty container to zero the scale.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    edited August 2015
    Options
    (thread derail again) I did something similar with hardware in my workshop.  The top shelf has little containers (cheep, think I got them at Lee Valley) with transparent tops, and the bottom shelf is for bigger items, I still have boxes full of slide containers from my film photography days, I try to remember to glue a single item on top of the cover so I know what's inside.

Never thought of trying my spices this way, stolen!  Sadly we don't have a bulk spice dealer up in Ogden, Salt Lake City may have one.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    Unfortunately, drawer space was a premium in our kitchen remodel but we were able to utilize the shared wall of the refrigerator.  TaDa!  The spice wall was created!  Admittedly, some of the spices are not used frequently but most are replenished every 3 months. The only downside has been after parties when my guests have rearranged the alphabetized bottles....I failed to mention we always have a barrel of Berghoff Dark on tap!  
    IL 
  • Dredger
    Options
    @dredger my bad for assuming.  You know what they say about assuming lol. 

@Grillin_beers no problem. I picked my forum name based on one of our hobbies. We enjoy gold prospecting.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • cazzy
    Options
    LetsEat said:
    Unfortunately, drawer space was a premium in our kitchen remodel but we were able to utilize the shared wall of the refrigerator.  TaDa!  The spice wall was created!  Admittedly, some of the spices are not used frequently but most are replenished every 3 months. The only downside has been after parties when my guests have rearranged the alphabetized bottles....I failed to mention we always have a barrel of Berghoff Dark on tap!  
    Awesome!!!!!  That is a lot of spices!
  • LetsEat
    LetsEat Posts: 458
    Options
    I love the idea of a spice drawer but didn't have available drawer space.  TaDa! The spice wall was created Admittedly, some of the spices are used infrequently but most are replenished within a few months. The only downside I have ever experienced is after parties and a few cocktails my enterprising friends find great humor in reorganizing the alphabetized bottles ;)
    IL