Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Blackstone Griddle - HARDTOP Cover / Prep area - pics

Options
blasting
blasting Posts: 6,262
edited July 2015 in Off Topic

Ok, so soft grill covers don't last where I live - the sun completely destroys them.  I also wanted prep area, so I decided to make a hardtop that would protect from sun and rain, and yet be pulled off to be used as a prep table.

I found some Corian on craigslist - I got this piece for $15.  I trimmed it on the table saw - slowly.  I cut it to overhang the front to protect the controls, as well as extra wide to cover the drip tray.  The piece I started with was already edged on two sides, so I used the cut offs to edge the other two sides - so rain would drip down as opposed to run underneath the top.  I used Gorilla glue epoxy and a lot of clamps to hold it in place.  It dried overnight and then I sanded my joints with a belt sander.  Then I sanded the whole top with an orbital sander starting with 80 grit, and working my way up to 150 grit.  This took the sheen off the top and I'm left with a buttery smooth mat finish.

When I want to use the griddle, I just move the top over to sit on a couple of sawhorses, and I've got a very nice size prep table.  I also use the prep table right on the Blackstone while doing other types of outdoor cooking.  FYI - corian doesn't handle blazing hot heat, so you wouldn't put a platesetter on it, but otherwise it is a great outdoor surface.  It wipes up very quick, so you always have a sanitary surface to work on.

If you have the basic tools, this is incredibly simple and cheap.  I spent about an hour cutting and gluing, and about an hour sanding for a total of 2 hours.  Cost was the corian, glue, and partial use of some sanding discs - definitely under $25 total.
Phoenix 

Comments

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

@blasting Nice cover/table top.

We had that same tableware (plate and bowl), 15 years ago. That stuff is indestructible.

How are the steak sandwiches?

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Options
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    Great looking cover! 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • grillman65
    grillman65 Posts: 81
    Options
    Very nice, I also have a Blackstone, I love it.  You got me thinking now.
    LBGE, Tobaccoville,NC
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Wow that is a pretty awesome idea.  Nice job! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Angus1978
    Angus1978 Posts: 390
    Options
    LBGE and Primo XL Plano TX All right all right alllll riight
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Dude! Someone graffiti-ed that last picture! How rude!
  • blasting
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thank you everyone for your comments.  Rarely am I this pleased with something so simple.

@hotch - I actually bought my mom a new set because she wanted new, and I wanted the plates and bowls that I grew up with.  I googled it and that pattern was released the year I was born - 1970.  Steak sandwiches were great - picking up some provolone today to try in place of the whiz.

Phoenix 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    blasting said:

Thank you everyone for your comments.  Rarely am I this pleased with something so simple.

@hotch - I actually bought my mom a new set because she wanted new, and I wanted the plates and bowls that I grew up with.  I googled it and that pattern was released the year I was born - 1970.  Steak sandwiches were great - picking up some provolone today to try in place of the whiz.

@Blasting in your quest for the perfect cheessteak you may also want to try white american, or a combination of prov and white american.  I think that is what many places in and around philly use.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Angus1978
    Options
    @blasting
    Where'd you get the thin sliced meat from?

• blasting
    Options
    Angus1978 said:
    @blasting

This is cut and pasted from the other thread:
    PSA - RD has legit philly cheese steak meat.  Individual servings of frozen thin sliced raw sirloin.  $61.05 for 40 servings (10 lbs).

I picked up a box today, but resisted the urge to cook any since I don't have appropriate crusty rolls, or cheezwhiz on hand.  Stay tuned...

Phoenix 
  • Angus1978
    Options
    missed that...so thank you!
  • blasting
    Options

@Blasting in your quest for the perfect cheessteak you may also want to try white american, or a combination of prov and white american.  I think that is what many places in and around philly use.  
    @SmokeyPitt  - thanks for the heads up - I'll try it out .
    Phoenix 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,731
    Options
    That's really cool! Great idea, and with the sawhorses giving you double duty! Very nice.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • ThrasherIII
    Options
    I need a bigger patio that is so cool. I see lots of cook related projects in my future,,,
  • DaveRichardson
    Options

Great idea with the corian!  People around here are always ripping it out and going with granite.  I'm gonna start looking.

Also great seeing the kids enjoying cooking outside.  My almost teen daughter is my assistant for most cooks.  She's gonna get a MiniMax later this year that'll come with us to the beach and mountains.  I'm gonna get it branded with her name like I did mine!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    Love the idea.....what would you say would be a weight estimate of the finished product?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • PlanSB
    PlanSB Posts: 90
    Options
    blasting said:

@SmokeyPitt  - thanks for the heads up - I'll try it out .

most places around here use white American as a standard. You can always request prov or whiz though.  I think it all comes down to preference, some of my friends love prov, I myself like whiz and American (not at the same time :)).
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,050
    Options
    blasting said:
    Angus1978 said:
    @blasting

This is cut and pasted from the other thread:
    PSA - RD has legit philly cheese steak meat.  Individual servings of frozen thin sliced raw sirloin.  $61.05 for 40 servings (10 lbs).

I picked up a box today, but resisted the urge to cook any since I don't have appropriate crusty rolls, or cheezwhiz on hand.  Stay tuned...

I'm interested @blasting You would buy the sirloin again?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • blasting
    Options
    @WeberWho. Yes, it's pretty good quality, and very convenient.  Thanks for the reminder, I'm out right now.
    Phoenix 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,050
    Options
    blasting said:
    @WeberWho. Yes, it's pretty good quality, and very convenient.  Thanks for the reminder, I'm out right now.
    Perfect! Thanks @blasting Going to pick some up this weekend 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited January 2017
    Options
    I picked some up at RD. They had a few selections. I would stay with sirloin or the ribeye. Just remember it is typically enhanced with salt water. So it is difficult to get a maillard reaction or browning.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX