Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Caught a tuna

Options

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,848
    Options
    @Sea2Ski, we caught him trolling. Good luck tomorrow. Hope you get at least as lucky as we did. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Thank you @SGH. Now I am complete. We probably would have had to eat the whole fish to get the double seal of approval. 
    You are welcome my friend. Eating large will certainly earn the double seal every time. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Great fish-

@maskedMarvel coming in Tuesday- save me a tuna
    Greensboro, NC
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    Wow!!  I caught a yellowfin in Japan that I swore was 50lbs when I felt it hit.  It came in at just over 10lbs.  At 150lbs, I can't even imagine the fight in that monster.  What a blast!  You and your son will remember that forever!

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I'm gearing up for tuna fishing....slowly.  There's some world-class tuna fishing off the Mississippi delta.  I bought a Lowrance 7" HDI chartplotter/sonar.  Have a new radio, new compass.  Old Lowrance works fine but no GPS.  I've already been lost half a dozen times so I need to get this gear installed. 
    Options
    Wow, amazing! Can't beat fresh tuna!
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @4Runner, thanks. Where are you going in Alaska. We went out of Homer once and got a bunch of halibut and salmon. The halibut are virtually guaranteed there. The only question is the size. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    @nolaegghead,
    ? tuna camp?

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    BIll-W221 said:
    I live in Hanson, it's about 30 minutes from the Cape,  but I fish out of Chatham too, beautiful area. 
    @Bill-W221, do you have your own boat - or do you have a regular captain you use? And when are you coming. It's still pretty early for tuna this year. Apparently they ran into November last year. 

San Antonio, TX

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @4Runner, thanks. Where are you going in Alaska. We went out of Homer once and got a bunch of halibut and salmon. The halibut are virtually guaranteed there. The only question is the size. 
    @foghorn - Salmon Falls Lodge in Ketchikan. Looks like just about everything is peaking in July so we should be sending a lot of fish home.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @4Runner, that sounds like a great trip. Good luck - and share some pics with us. 

San Antonio, TX

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,144
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Great fish-

@maskedMarvel coming in Tuesday- save me a tuna
    Excellent. Ask for me on the reservation and they'll have you in my section. Looking forward to it!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• RollTideRob
    RollTideRob Posts: 139
    Options
    Nice catch!!! Congrats
    Large, Medium

Heflin, AL
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Nothing like one straight off the.hook for sushi either.
    Suggestion for those who catch one. Prepping is essential to quality.
    Once.landed immediately  do the following..
    Cut its throat at the V where gill plates end belly side about 2" deep. Youll know as blood flows. cut Cresent behind pectoral fins about inch or 2 as well and ring cut all the way around to spine 3rd or 4th finlet  up from tail. Your fish will totally  pump out all blood  and be bled out to obtain highest quality meat. Once bled gut and remove gills and plates rinse well and pack tightly with ice. You now have about as close to sushi grade meat as possible 

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Yellow Tail is my favorite, we caught a couple the last time in Cabo but they weren't any where that big! Nice catch.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @AUCE, our captain and mate did essentially what you describe. The meat is as good as any tuna I have ever eaten so I can only conclude that you are giving sound advice as always. 

San Antonio, TX

• BIll-W221
    BIll-W221 Posts: 279
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @Bill-W221, do you have your own boat - or do you have a regular captain you use? And when are you coming. It's still pretty early for tuna this year. Apparently they ran into November last year. 
    I charter and have been using the same captain for a long time, but i stopped going last year. Long story.

But typically I went for the bass, that stuff is great on the grill !!!!

• Foghorn
    Options
    @Bill-W221, that's a good-looking bass. They are great on the grill. Prior to this year that has always been our payoff and we've enjoyed a lot of it over the years - although I don't think we've ever caught one that large. We've used a variety of captains over the years out of Rock Harbor, Pamet (with a neighbor of my in-laws) and Chatham.  I can't honestly say that the one we used this year did anything different than we did on any of our previous failed tuna attempts, but if you want his name let me know. He ran a good trip and seemed to have his stuff together. 

San Antonio, TX

• allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Tuna-  off the cape?  That sir is wicked pissah!  Congrats!  Sometime, ask the captain if the false albacore are running or when you can fish for them. Not much to eat from what I understand but they are a son of a gun to catch. 
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• Foghorn
    Options
    allsid said:
    Tuna-  off the cape?  That sir is wicked pissah!  Congrats!  Sometime, ask the captain if the false albacore are running or when you can fish for them. Not much to eat from what I understand but they are a son of a gun to catch. 
    @allsid, yes it was (wicked pissah that is).  And I'll ask about the false albacore - although with our penchant for wanting to cook what we catch I doubt it will be a top priority. 

Thanks to @fishlessman and a recommendation he made last year we had the tuna with some great Allagash beer. The Curieux is now my favorite. 

San Antonio, TX

• allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    allsid said:
     - although with our penchant for wanting to cook what we catch I doubt it will be a top priority. 

Hope this is not stating the obvious, but Striped bass is amazing on the grill!  I have a striped bass cooked on a salt block recipe coming out in my book- :)  Wish I was back east chasing the blues and bass around.  My dad said the fishing on Long Island Sound has been awful, so I am stoked you had fun on the cape- Cheers!
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Striped bass is up there with grouper as one of the best in my book.
    Options
    Foghorn, I hope you are planning on turning the annual end-of-year pick up of your son from Hopkins into a week-long crabbing and Rockfish extravaganza on the Chesapeake Bay.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @nolaegghead, I agree on the stripers and grouper (although we've never caught a grouper).  I'd add Mahi and halibut to the list. 

@Eggcelsior, that is a very intriguing thought. My son and I would love it, but there are other factors that I may not be able to overcome like a wife who is not a fan of fishing and a sister and nephews in Manassas.  Do you have a boat?

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @nolaegghead, I agree on the stripers and grouper (although we've never caught a grouper).  I'd add Mahi and halibut to the list. 

@Eggcelsior, that is a very intriguing thought. My son and I would love it, but there are other factors that I may not be able to overcome like a wife who is not a fan of fishing and a sister and nephews in Manassas.  Do you have a boat?
    I don't, sadly. 
  • Foghorn
    Options
    Foghorn said:

I don't, sadly. 
    You've got until May. Get on it. 

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    @4Runner, did you have any luck?

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    We're heading to Kitty Hawk next month to try our luck at yellowfin - down South they run about 30 lbs. average and we usually manage to get more than one each.
    Biggest I've ever caught is still smaller than that monster you brought in, I would guess 60 lbs.?

@DieselkW, it occurred to me that the scale of the pic may not be that obvious. My son is 5'11". 

With that being said, catching several 30 pounders would probably be an even better experience than what we had where we only got one bite from a tuna that just happened to be huge. 

San Antonio, TX

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    @Foghorn - we leave on 7/28.  ;)
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Foghorn
    Options
    4Runner said:
    Foghorn said:
    @Foghorn - we leave on 7/28.  ;)
    Ah. Well hopefully you'll get your limit when you go.

San Antonio, TX