Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kamoto

Options
Friends, I have a friend who is looking to save a few hundred dollars and considering purchasing the Kamoto from Home Depot.  Would save him about $400.  Does anyone out there have any experience with the Kamoto and is the BGE worth the extra $$.  I've had a large BGE for many years, been very happy and never known anyone with the Kamoto.  Thanks.

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited June 2015
    Options
    The ease of my warranty replacement yesterday is testament that the lifetime warranty with BGE is worth more than $400. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    i dont see getting replacement parts from home depot. i own the small vision kub, assuming he is looking at the vision, it cooks well but i dont see it lasting and i have no warranty. the little kub was on sale online a few years ago when i purchased mine, the first few received warranty and a day later they decided not to cover it, i do not trust visions integrity. bge has dealers everywhere to replace parts, ive replaced fire boxes, fire rings, two bases, spring band, fire grates, no problems with the warranty on the egg. you do get more with the vision, the egg needs upgrades right out of the box which needs to be considered
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    Is he looking at the Vision or the Akorn?  I would stay away from the Akorn since it's metal & not ceramic.  There's another model of the Vision, at Sam's Club which is less, but, I think it's smaller or something.  (Don't know too much about them)

At the end of the day, if he's more comfortable with the lower initial investment and going with the Akorn, that is all right.  It won't likely last more than a few years, and then, if he still likes this style of cooking, he can upgrade to another brand.  Since most of us have multiple eggs/cookers, it's likely he would just start with this one and then get a second one anyway.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    i dont see getting replacement parts from home depot. i own the small vision kub, assuming he is looking at the vision, it cooks well but i dont see it lasting and i have no warranty. the little kub was on sale online a few years ago when i purchased mine, the first few received warranty and a day later they decided not to cover it, i do not trust visions integrity. bge has dealers everywhere to replace parts, ive replaced fire boxes, fire rings, two bases, spring band, fire grates, no problems with the warranty on the egg. you do get more with the vision, the egg needs upgrades right out of the box which needs to be considered
    Just like BGE, if you purchased your Vision product through an authorized Vision seller (in my case Costco) there IS a warranty. And they honor it. I have firsthand experience.

So...that excludes most on-line sellers (also same as BGE and the warranty many here like to cite as the most compelling reason to pay extra for BGE products) such as you claim to have purchased your Kub......online.

As the owner of BGE, Visions, and Kamado Joe products I can vouch for their warranty and the fact that they all do what they advertise, provided the product was purchased in agreement with their Terms and Conditions.

When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited June 2015
    Options
    To save $400, I think he is looking at the Akorn. I know a guy that has had one for a couple of years and it still looks and cooks great. The gasket is super high temp it would appear as it is very similar to the one on many self cleaning ovens, no need to mess with replacements. Like Broil King's Keg, the all metal construction might corrode as time goes on. But considering there is nothing to crack, and covering ceramic failure is the true value of the BGE warranty, a lifetime safety net might not be all that imortant. 
    Even the Bge hardware starts to show some corrosion over the years, I think the Akorn might start too show corrosion everywhere. I think if he is not sure of the jump to kamado cooking and has a place to keep it out of the weather, it might be a best buy for him. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options

The ease of my warranty replacement yesterday is testament that the lifetime warranty with BGE is worth more than $400. 
    Assume it was a ceramic replacement? BGE, Primo, Visions must provide lifetime or multi-year replacement warranties because of the MTBF of ceramics. Failure is not like a gasser slowly rusting away, failure is often instant - one minute you have a great grill, the next minute you have a craked flower pot.
    Lowe's Canada sells a Browning ceramic kamado similar to a LBGE for $200 less with a 90 day warranty. Given the nature of ceramics only a fool would buy one. If I could get an all metal kamado for 1/2 the price of an egg, I might have considered it.  

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,761
    Options
    Gogogordy said:
    Just like BGE, if you purchased your Vision product through an authorized Vision seller (in my case Costco) there IS a warranty. And they honor it. I have firsthand experience.

So...that excludes most on-line sellers (also same as BGE and the warranty many here like to cite as the most compelling reason to pay extra for BGE products) such as you claim to have purchased your Kub......online.

As the owner of BGE, Visions, and Kamado Joe products I can vouch for their warranty and the fact that they all do what they advertise, provided the product was purchased in agreement with their Terms and Conditions.

my problem was how they honored their policy changed overnight. some got the warranty others didnt from the same supplier. bge covered internet eggs as well back in the old days even though retailers were under contract not to sell on line, there was even a guy running eggfests selling online =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    Gogogordy said:

my problem was how they honored their policy changed overnight. some got the warranty others didnt from the same supplier. bge covered internet eggs as well back in the old days even though retailers were under contract not to sell on line, there was even a guy running eggfests selling online =)
    That would irritate me as well, especially if they set a precedent for like-sourced product previously, being treated in a different way after the fact. 

My experience with all 3 mfrs. I mentioned in my previous post, INCLUDING Visions has been exceptional.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I hate these scenarios... Probably one of those instances where the friend has already made their mind up and goes cheap.  Tell him to just go and get it and save your time.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site