Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT-classic cars

Options
ksmyrl
ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
Any car folks out there in eggland? SWMBO and I are getting ready to put a toy in the garage. We used to ride a Harley but sold our last one when our oldest was 3. He's now 10 so it'll be a while before we get back on two wheels again. We are both hankering for a classic or more accurately a modern-classic car. Preferably a convertible or at least t tops. Being a child of the 70s and 80s I love the mid 70s corvettes and mid 80s Z28's. But I'm open to just about anything and I need advice. I know enough about cars to be dangerous. I do most of my own general maintenence but I don't have the confidence to know if a 30 to 40 year old car is in good mechanical and structural condition. Are there any sites I should be checking out, I.e. an egghead forum for car folks? Any good sites that list quality older cars for sale other than autotrader classics? Any advice in general is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks.
Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,232
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Car forums are generally car or brand specific. I've got a 69 Camaro and the online forums were life savers during the restoration.  Auto trader classics is a good resource that has most of the cars out there for sale. You really gotta narrow it down to what makes your heart race and go from there. You can always have a mechanic look at the car before purchase. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,688
    edited June 2015
    Options

'81 DeLorean here.  Had it for 15 yrs now.  Very easy to work on and parts are plentiful.  Most are cross referenced to Volvo, Peugeot, Renault, Lotus, and even Chrysler.  It doesn't take very long to swap out the Lucas electronics for Bosch--no more worries about British stigma in the car when it comes to that system.  And if you think the BGE has a cult following, wait until you get into DeLorean community.  TONS of help, aftermarket parts, events, etc.......very close knit community.

Only thing you will get sick of is the constant Back to the Future references.  Great movie though.

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

Last year sold my 2010 Plum Crazy Challenger SRT8, have had Harley's, Corvettes, 70 Chevelle, 71 442 Convert, 72 El'Camino, etc..post up some pics

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• ksmyrl
    Options
    @DoubleEgger thanks, I think we have narrowed it to GM. Camero, Vette, Cutlass, Chevelle etc. Love the 69 Cameros also. But I will admit, I've considered a Delorean...@stlcharcoal

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,046
    Options
    My dad's friend had a 70 and 71 Nova SS. I love the Nova look from 68-72.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,232
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    @DoubleEgger thanks, I think we have narrowed it to GM. Camero, Vette, Cutlass, Chevelle etc. Love the 69 Cameros also. But I will admit, I've considered a Delorean...@stlcharcoal
    There's a lot of good GM forums. Find something that is appreciating in value like second gen Camaros, 70's Vettes etc. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Some of the older cars I've owned (when I was a young lad) are:

67 Camaro Convertible
    69 Chevelle
    70 Cougar XR7
    71 Saab
    76 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
    Datsun 240Z, 260Z
    BMW E12
    Sadly, some Vegas
    81 Mercedes 300D
    Audi Quattro (not what you think)

That's all the vintage stuff besides some pickups.  Everything else was newer.

I love cars, motorcycles, boats, etc.  I'd get on some of the forums for what you like and ask questions.  There are idiosyncrasies to the years that you want to know about.  The cheaper year cars may cost you more in lemon payments for maintenance or happiness.

With the older cars, mechanical stuff is easy to fix relative to frames, interiors, anything plastic or fabric, body panels, etc.   I would buy a garaged original, un-restored vintage car with a blown engine before I bought something with a new engine and crappy body/interior.

The world is a big place....there are some really cool imports out there too.  Do your research.

Options
    Sweet!
    Options
    Do your research. Many 70s and 80s cars are now becoming popular that 10 years ago we thought were junk; late 70s camaros and 80s el caminos for example. Also 4 dr cars are now becoming hot, due to availability and because they make sense with families. Once you decide on what you want, and begin looking, take someone with you that knows what to look for. Many people throw paint jobs on cars just to sell them, then you end up with a overpriced piece of crap. If you have any questions PM me or call I'd be glad to help. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    im more a truck fan and drive a 1989 dodge dakota sport 4x4 with the convertable roof (about 2000 made). i did it the old fashioned way, i bought it new =) find something thats easy to find parts for, the origional owner of my dodge really beat on it off road, finding differential parts and transfercase parts has been difficult lately but doable. the only thing i have not had out of the truck is the engine, knocking on wood =) you need a good honest mechanic or the ability to work on it yourself. i just had pretty much the whole front end repaced, upper /lower ball joints, wheel bearings, cv boots,  tierods, idler arm, pitman arm etc and the bill was still less than 900 installed and aligned. parts seem to be cheap for the older vehicles compared to the new, replacement rag tops seem to run 150 to 300 on ebay, i upgraded the rag top from the vinyl window to glass a few years ago
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options

'81 DeLorean here.  Had it for 15 yrs now.  Very easy to work on and parts are plentiful.  Most are cross referenced to Volvo, Peugeot, Renault, Lotus, and even Chrysler.  It doesn't take very long to swap out the Lucas electronics for Bosch--no more worries about British stigma in the car when it comes to that system.  And if you think the BGE has a cult following, wait until you get into DeLorean community.  TONS of help, aftermarket parts, events, etc.......very close knit community.

Only thing you will get sick of is the constant Back to the Future references.  Great movie though.

Family friend growing up had one, cool car.  I only had one issue with the movie...
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • bigalsworth
    bigalsworth Posts: 685
    Options
    Are you looking to restore or buy one that is restored and just maintain it?  Many forums have a sellers area and are great places to buy a car.

Whatever you do do not buy sight un-seen, there are people out there who will work harder to hide problems than to fix them.  I know from experience.  Of I was to do it again, I would go to a Barret Jackson and buy from there.

Here is my 69 GTO that is in the process of being restored.  Oh yeah, restoration will cost 5 times more than you expect it will so keep that in mind.

Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    Any more pics?  This car looks awesome!  I want a roaster bad.
    Convertibles are nice in California, this little '27 T-Roadster is my current toy of choice.  Nothing like the sun and a "throaty" V-8 hot summer day. 

Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Buy someone elses failed dream. 
    Options
    Buy someone elses failed dream. 
    This. Totally this. Hopefully you are buying it from there estate too. Then you can really find a deal.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • ringkingpin
    ringkingpin Posts: 260
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I've got a couple of old rides, one convertible, seen below.  As stated earlier DO NOT buy it sight unseen.  If you aren't used to horse trading with old cars, I'd bring someone who is, preferably a mechanic.  Old cars can hide a lot of nasty things, I've been to the mountain and have learned the hard way but now I know what I'm doing a lot more. 
    Personally I don't like the 70's vettes, they cook the passangers feet, most are slow and your three year old might be happy this summer in the back but that won't last. 
    My little guy loves cruising in this:

"Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you who you are."
     Brillat-Savarin
  • bcsnave
    Options
    Muscle cars are nice but new "retro"... Gives you drivability   mpg, reliability, etc

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

Glenbeulah, WI

• ehummelman
    ehummelman Posts: 27
    Options

Currently driving a 69 Firebird. You might check out protouring.com or lateral-g.net - both good resources.  If you're sticking with a stock or original look there are lots of brand specific resources.  LS1tech.com is another to look at; it's not just LS powered discussions.

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Most useful, best investment I ever made (yes, investment, I bought it cheap!) for some reason I cannot add a photo so I apologize but here is a link. http://images.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1104662.jpg I've been toying with the idea of selling or trading up. Or just adding a chevy nova to the fleet so the family can actually ride in it too.
  • bcsnave
    Options
    The OP stated a modern classic ...wonder if pro tour is better suited for them

Glenbeulah, WI

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I have a VW Sand Rail I've redone. 
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,046
    Options
    @Thatgrimguy pics?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    Are you looking to restore or buy one that is restored and just maintain it?  Many forums have a sellers area and are great places to buy a car.

Whatever you do do not buy sight un-seen, there are people out there who will work harder to hide problems than to fix them.  I know from experience.  Of I was to do it again, I would go to a Barret Jackson and buy from there.

Here is my 69 GTO that is in the process of being restored.  Oh yeah, restoration will cost 5 times more than you expect it will so keep that in mind.

thats looking nice, i like those in orange =) ive got my uncles 56 tbird in the shop and it must be 20 months now off and on and its still not ready for the top coat, money and TIME
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    @Thatgrimguy pics?

Need to update that tag... I'm surprised I haven't been pulled over. I drive it on the roads here about once a month. Not nearly enough.
  • ksmyrl
    Options
    Awesome replies and great information, thanks so much. I'm not looking to do a total restore myself. I'd like to buy something we can enjoy now and maybe add to it and maintain it ourselves. I like the idea of a big 4 door convertible so the entire family can enjoy it. Maybe an old Caddy? I'll check out the sites yall mentioned. And awesome cars shown here, I can't wait.

Thanks again.

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I have a 1965 Chevrolet C10 Custom waiting to get to a guy right now.  Been on the waiting list for a while now though.  Been anxious to start the journey.  

This was my late fathers truck that was given to me when I turned 16.  I have never driven it though as it had been sitting for a while and need some things done to it.  I would love to see the day when I can take my little girl for a ride in it.  I didn't get to take many with my father.  

Also told myself after I get that done, I'd try to do my brothers car.  His was is a 1967 GTO.  It's a beautiful car.  Unfortunately, life hasn't been the best for my brother and it's sitting and likely rusting.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    I have a 1965 Chevrolet C10 Custom waiting to get to a guy right now.  Been on the waiting list for a while now though.  Been anxious to start the journey.  

This was my late fathers truck that was given to me when I turned 16.  I have never driven it though as it had been sitting for a while and need some things done to it.  I would love to see the day when I can take my little girl for a ride in it.  I didn't get to take many with my father.  

Also told myself after I get that done, I'd try to do my brothers car.  His was is a 1967 GTO.  It's a beautiful car.  Unfortunately, life hasn't been the best for my brother and it's sitting and likely rusting.  
    65 C10 will be a great lookin truck!  Lots of those around these parts.  67 GTO will be my next car if I get another one.  I like those even more than the 69 I have, fantastic cars.  Sorry to hear your bro cant enjoy it.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II