Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My HOA is ordering me to remove my Egg from the property

Options

Comments

• tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    Check this out. The anti-Egg Beeotch......

https://www.linkedin.com/grp/post/3352309-210365959
    OMG I would kill her and burn the body in my egg if i lived next to her

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    Good info @DieselkW but does that account for the % of home grills that are gas vs wood & charcoal?  I wonder if gas grills outsell charcoal in the home market and the rate is actually similar.  Either way, find the stat that presents the strongest argument and use that.

I haven't read all of the posts, but may want to consider asking the fire marshal for sources of reference info.

Also, I would consider asking HOA for listing of all variances they've granted in past few years.  In my experience, these are not usually visible to the casual homeowner, just a matter of record between the board and homeowner.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Just ignore them. Make them hire the atty.
    what he said
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    tz666 said:

Really?  You can't see both sides of the argument. You don't think she has a right to live in her house and not have it filled with smoke?  If your neighbor was burning yard waste all the time and the smoke was filling up your house, wouldn't you want it to stop?

There are two sides of the argument that are both valid.  A compromise is somewhere in there.  At least the guy could get her number and call, letting her know he is about to fire up the egg.  Living in a neighbourhood means compromise, that is why HOA's have come into existence. 

Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    Grilling by the numbers
    •  In 2012, 16,900 patients went to emergency rooms because of injuries involving grills.
    • One of every six (16%) home structure fires in which grills were involved in ignition, something that could catch fire was too close to the grill.
    • Overall, leaks or breaks were factors in one of every five reported grill fires.
    • Gas grills contribute to a higher number of home fires overall than their charcoal counterparts.

Hard to determine the statistical relevance of the third without knowing the number  of each out there...

100% of the BGE grills I have owned have resulted in my house burning down when the fire brick beneath said egg cracked and permitted sufficient heat to radiate downward, igniting the framing for the table.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    tfhanson said:
    tz666 said:

Really?  You can't see both sides of the argument. You don't think she has a right to live in her house and not have it filled with smoke?  If your neighbor was burning yard waste all the time and the smoke was filling up your house, wouldn't you want it to stop?

There are two sides of the argument that are both valid.  A compromise is somewhere in there.  At least the guy could get her number and call, letting her know he is about to fire up the egg.  Living in a neighbourhood means compromise, that is why HOA's have come into existence. 

Perhaps she has a cat. I am allergic to cats. So, I'd have to let her know I'm home so she can close her windows? And if her windows are then closed, I'm firing the mother right up!  Hickory, Mesquite, the works. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    I would also do tons of horrible things in retaliation...on the internet
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    I'd get her address and sign her up for all sorts of mail-order catalogs......  Bondage, S&M, etc..... 

I do have that woman's address, but I'm not sure of the results of the case.  I recognized her name as being a friend of a friend.....  Yes, he said she's a Beeotch!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,771
    Options
    So propane is not a fire hazard? I am not sure I get where it is safer---You know, you could convert the egg to propane- then all is good
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I think most would agree that wood and lump spark a bit more than propane?

Guessing that is where insurance carrier concerns come into play.

Candles and cigarettes probably start more home fires than grills,  but a lump-fueled grill or a fire pit are located outside, where the spark is likely to migrate.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,194
    Options
    I think pine straw in an electric smoker is the way to go. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,032
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    You know, you could convert the egg to propane- then all is good
    How dare you say something that terrible!  Go sit in the corner for 10 minutes!!! ;)  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    I think most would agree that wood and lump spark a bit more than propane?

Guessing that is where insurance carrier concerns come into play.

Candles and cigarettes probably start more home fires than grills,  but a lump-fueled grill or a fire pit are located outside, where the spark is likely to migrate.

I think this is 100% the case for insurance companies.  They don't care about the statistics too much they're looking at propane grills as a controlled contained fire that can be turned on and off by a switch, theoretically.  Charcoal sparks, hot embers/ash gets out can light up a wood fire, you need a leak, propane buildup before lighting, or something to get too close on your propane to have an issue usually.  

For what it's worth I think that smoking in bed is still the number 1 cause of house fires resulting in death... 

Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,138
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @aukerns08 insurance companies are full of actuaries.  They most certaintly care about statistics.  It is their livelihood.  It is intelligent gambling.

The number a person needs is the $ lost/charcoal grill.  My guess is that is higher than $ lost/gas grill.  That would take into account the amount of grills in homes, the amount resulting in accidents, and the payout per accident.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Go talk to the president....something else is going on here.  Like maybe a pissed off neighbor.  There is no reason for you not to be able to have a non gasser on your patio.....unless maybe your house is attached to your neighbors.  I mean, if you burn your own house down that sounds like punishment enough.  Anyway, I would have a  talk with them and get it straighten out.  If that doesn't work, you can always see if the local news station would pick it up.   
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    Maybe the reason why they don't want charcoal grills is because of the charcoal ash disposal. Perhaps if you explain how to shut an BGE down, by closing the top and bottom vents, and not dumping potentially hot ash everywhere, this may address one of their concerns. Also tell them about the ash screen at the bottom vent.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    First demand that they come to your house where you provide them with samples.  If that doesn't work, it is time to start a petition (door to door) and start replacing the morons that are running those HOAs.  They are obviously jealous they don't have one. I would say they they can't change the rules after-the-fact. Read the HOA agreement and see if they are allowed to force people to remove anything from your property after having authorized its purchase/use.  All else fails, move. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options

Happens a lot here in the condo and townhouse jungles. Pretty much all condos with balconies ban charcoal cooking, some even ban propane/gas and only permit electric. I have never heard of any charcoal grill being an issue in an area designated as single family detached dwelling. Unless the lots are tiny and you park your egg next to the fence, no one should even notice. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    Read the rule - if you are truly in violation of the rule:

add the pavers like mentioned above and move your egg off of the patio (leave a slight separation between the pavers and porch, so it is sitting in your yard.)

If there is grey area in how the rule is worded, you could probably win against the HOA just by challenging them.

If it is clearly defined and you are in violation (even if it is stupid), it is not worth the hassle to sue.  

HOAs should have attorneys already that will advise them in these situations. Unless they are 100 percent right, attorneys will advise them to back down.

I was on the HOA in my old neighborhood and we had a similar case like in Thebuckeyes neighborhood.  I told the board they were wrong and needed to listen to the homeowner, but everyone disagreed with me.  They went to the HOA attorney to prepare to fight the homeowner.  Attorney basically told them they were stupid and would lose so the went back to the homeowner and told him he was right (no fines).  I just sat back and smiled.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    edited May 2015
    Options

Finally had a chance to read this. It is from over 2 years ago. But the lady should shut her windows if it smells. Or the guy can stop using Royal Oak ;)

Couldn't help myself there. Use the lump you like.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Re, anti-Egg Beeotch...

The objection was filed under a nuisance clause. Who's the nuisance. Someone who makes a little wood or charcoal smoke, or someone who can't stand it?

FWIW, I live in an old neighborhood where everybody, myself included, is a nuisance. Cripes, I do hate listening to sub-woofers at 2 AM Sunday morning. But at least I can hang laundry on a line.  And Egg-wise, I guess I have to live w. folks down the block who use enough lighter fluid that I can smell it. But no one complains about the sad young fellow who often sits rocking on his knees in front of his house. Not contagious, just sad.

I'm at the edge of rant... I'll stop at this. Suffering is just the way you know you're not dead, yet. If you have a problem with nuisances, you have no real problems.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Interesting thread. If the addendum was made after the fact they allowed your BGE I would imagine there should be concessions made to Grandfather. However, if the change was due to insurance premiums then I'm not sure. Go to the next HOA meeting and have solid documentation and facts & most of all be professional about it. Short of that HOA's have good and bad points....I fail to see eye to eye with said good points which is why we chose our area.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,138
    Options
    I would like to clarify some things:

1.  You live in  structure that has more than 1 family.

2.  You own the patio but not the yard.

3.  You asked about grills, but technically bought it AFTER the rule change.  The rule changed between asking and buying.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    It seems that picking on a guy who grills is attacking exactly the sort of thing that could make a community a great place to live.

A friend of mine was being harassed in a similar fashion.  He went to each board members house and took pictures of violations each of them had according to the rules.
    Phoenix 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @blasting You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Finding violations that others have might seem like a decent retaliation but, could also be counterproductive by pissing them off. Choose your battles wisely. In the end you have to live here and I assure you with a HOA they (if they get angry) could nitpick everything going forward and make life there quite miserable. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    jak7028 said:
    ....Attorney basically told them they were stupid ....
    I love it.  An attorney telling their client they are stupid.  That is a sure sign your claim is baseless.     :)
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    @blasting You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Finding violations that others have might seem like a decent retaliation but, could also be counterproductive by pissing them off. Choose your battles wisely. In the end you have to live here and I assure you with a HOA they (if they get angry) could nitpick everything going forward and make life there quite miserable. 

I agree.  I wouldn't have done it, but I do think it was funny.  

I'm Canadian, and true to the stereotype I hate conflict.  Unless I'm clearly in the right, and have a great shot at winning - I generally won't bother with a fight.  Life is just too short.  If this were me, I'd probably start packing.
    Phoenix 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,194
    Options
    This is slightly off topic but I feel the urge to share. Years ago, the Pinehurst NC police department was building a new HQ and I was managing the elevator installation. I was shooting the breeze with the chief when three senior citizens walked up and handed him a piece of paper. After they left, he told me that there was a group of seniors who would drive through Pinehurst every single morning at dawn and prepare a list of homeowner violations to be hand delivered to him. He said they'd start following up on the day's violations early in the afternoon.