Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Royal Oak vs Rockwood

2»

Comments

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    gamason said:

Lump is a hot topic on this forum constantly. Use what works for you. Personally when I cook out I'm doing so  because I prefer a smoky ,outdoor flavor. If I wanted neutral I could cook in my oven and have the same taste. For me it defeats the purpose of grilling,smoking, etc... if I don't have a smoky flavor, and I have never had any problems with it being to strong. The only place I might prefer a neutral lump is if I was baking something, but the oven does that job just fine. Good luck with whatever you use, and GOVOLS!!!

^^^THIS!  All the talk about "neutral" lump puzzles me.  I personally cook on  Kamados FOR the "smoky flavor" (and moisture retention).
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 20,228
    @SmokyBear I cook for the smoky flavor too.  Depending on the protein, desired color,  and style I tailor my smokiness with smokewood.  Its like wine pairing.

Maybe your purpose in life is only to serve as an example for others? - LPL

• EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    I agree with some of the comments so far about smoke flavor/taste. I would rather have neutral smoke flavor/taste from the lump and control the flavor/taste with the wood chunks I choose.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Burns longer and less ash. So you don't use as much. 
  • newegger169
    newegger169 Posts: 146
    Burns way cleaner so you will get more cooks out of it. Also temperature is much easier to control. 
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,195
    Love royal oak, been using it for 6 years without all of the problems described.
  • newegger169
    newegger169 Posts: 146
    I was talking about rw not ro above
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,759
    SmokyBear said:
    gamason said:

Lump is a hot topic on this forum constantly. Use what works for you. Personally when I cook out I'm doing so  because I prefer a smoky ,outdoor flavor. If I wanted neutral I could cook in my oven and have the same taste. For me it defeats the purpose of grilling,smoking, etc... if I don't have a smoky flavor, and I have never had any problems with it being to strong. The only place I might prefer a neutral lump is if I was baking something, but the oven does that job just fine. Good luck with whatever you use, and GOVOLS!!!

^^^THIS!  All the talk about "neutral" lump puzzles me.  I personally cook on  Kamados FOR the "smoky flavor" (and moisture retention).
    An artist starts with a neutral medium and adds personality....
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 905
    I buy Quebracho from Amazon, $1/lb delivered to the door. Some pieces are really big, it lights fast and smoke clears in 5 minutes. No added taste.
    I like Rockwood, I've used it and was impressed with it. If I ever see it on sale closer to $1/lb I'll not hesitate to buy it again.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    I like Rockwood because I agree with "truth in advertising" it's says right on the bag that there's gonna be a few rocks.  =)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    @Ozzie_Isaac 18 hours for a brisket?  You sure you weren't making jerky?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    edited May 2015
    cazzy said:
    @Ozzie_Isaac 18 hours for a brisket?  You sure you weren't making jerky?
    I thought the key to brisket was to get it as dry as possible.  Then you soak it in BBQ sauce.  Cuz sauce is the key to good Q.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,459
    @Ozzie_Isaac like the way you cross linked the threads there. Clever. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    This place is like one big inside joke :)

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    My first full bag of RO was mostly small to medium pieces.   Only a few large.
    Upon doing a good cleaning / de-ashing, I found a couple chunks of CERAMIC which are NOT from my grill.   I hope.   Also, a few pieces were NOT charcoaled properly.  
    More info after I get thru my 2nd bag.   

If I HAVE to order up some RW, would anybody in San Diego be willing to go in on a Group Buy?   We can order a PALLET of it and maybe save some $$ in the process?
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Begger said:
    My first full bag of RO was mostly small to medium pieces.   Only a few large.
    Upon doing a good cleaning / de-ashing, I found a couple chunks of CERAMIC which are NOT from my grill.   I hope.   Also, a few pieces were NOT charcoaled properly.  
    More info after I get thru my 2nd bag.   

If I HAVE to order up some RW, would anybody in San Diego be willing to go in on a Group Buy?   We can order a PALLET of it and maybe save some $$ in the process?
    You may already know this but it cannot be shipped into Cali. 
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • Offpiste
    Offpiste Posts: 47
    Here's a good question how much energy in 20 lbs of lump vs standard 20lbs lp tank?
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 905
    Offpiste said:
    Here's a good question how much energy in 20 lbs of lump vs standard 20lbs lp tank?
    Propane has almost 4x the btu of firewood, pound for pound.

However, in a gas grill, there's a lot more wasted energy in ambient heat loss than there is in a Kamado.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited May 2015
    SmokyBear said:
    An artist starts with a neutral medium and adds personality....
    Oh, that's the problem.  You must be using fine tipped brushes.
    I use a Sharpie.
    Precision is for baking.  Grilling is all about broad strokes...
    ;)  =)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Okay, I just picked up the bag of Rockwood I ordered from my local Ace Hardware. I got home, opened the bag and immediately noticed a physical difference in quality from the Royal Oak I buy in bulk from Home Depot. Pieces were larger throughout the bag and there was a more noticeable "tink" sound when knocking two pieces together than when doing the same thing with Royal Oak. We'll see how it cooks tonight.

• Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 530
    You won't be disappointed! Give your Ro to someone you don't like.  :o

Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Sometimes there are larger pieces in RO.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Told ya,,, time to change your signature line. 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • The Royal Oak I got from HD.  It was a lot of small pieces,  just a few chunks.

• EggHead_Bubba
    @HoosierDaddy... Looks just like the bags I get from them. No more though, Rockwood from now on.

• Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Hoosier,
    Your pic matches what I SEE when I use RO.  

I may be FORCED to get some BGE lump to bridge me until I find something ELSE which better balances quality with price.