Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone roll their ribs?

Options
Has anyone ever cooked their ribs rolled up like this before? I have two full back ribs I want to cook on the MiniMax. Going to do turbo. Just wondering if I should expect anything different from normal flat cooking. Image stolen from a Google image search. 

LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario

Comments

• blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    Hmmm, that's a first for me, give it a try @Greeno55
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    need a consult here @SGH  ^^^
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've done something close.  I've cut three racks of St. Louis ribs in half, skewered them together, and placed on a Mini Max.  They stand on their side like the pic you posted, but I think it's a little bit easier to fit on the Egg than curling them like that.

@cazzy has done the same thing on a Small. 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I'm starting to get a few rolls around my ribs from hanging out with all you guys, but I've never cooked any like that. However, I'd be willing to try in about a week and a half. 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Nope, never curled my ribs because I prefer to slice them up into individual ribs first.  Although, when cooking a lot of them, I have stacked them like you can stack dominos minimizing the contact patch so smoke can flow all around them.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• nlovold
    nlovold Posts: 194
    Options
    Haha!  I've always just cut in half, but this looks worth a try.  I would think it would reduce bark development a bit though.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    @DMW - Now that's what I'm talking about. Figure I can both rolled in some sort of configuration on the MM. Basically looks like they're held together with just some wooden skewers?
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • DMW
    Options
    Greeno55 said:
    @DMW - Now that's what I'm talking about. Figure I can both rolled in some sort of configuration on the MM. Basically looks like they're held together with just some wooden skewers?
    Yep, wooden skewers. I'll bet you can get 2 rolled racks on without a problem.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    @DMW - Any tips? Will be doing turbo at 350°
  • DMW
    Options
    Greeno55 said:
    @DMW - Any tips? Will be doing turbo at 350°
    I don't usually turbo ribs, but that's because I usually use a rub that is sugar heavy. Not sure why rolled would make a difference though.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Legume said:
    need a consult here @SGH  ^^^
    I have cooked baby backs rolled before. I haven't tried spares rolled up. The baby backs turn out great when cooked rolled up. The biggest difference that I have noticed is that it's considerably harder to get a nice even bark due to the contact points. But short of this they cook fine and turn out incredible. Also the few times that I rolled them, I ran 250-275 degrees. Im more than sure that you could turbo them rolled with excellent results. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.