Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: These words came from my mouth????

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
edited March 2015 in Off Topic
Early Saturday hoped in the Van (29k miles /13 mo's old) and it just made that ticking sound. No start. Got in the PU and went to Dallas. Got back very late. 
This morning I made 2 statements never before said by me:
First- I need to go to Walmart. 
Second- I need to buy a jumper cable. 
What is this world coming too. 
Will go by Toyota store in the morning and they will replace the battery as leaving Tue early for Seaside and Savannah. It was nice not owning a damn car/truck for the past 30 years. Not fun being a regular person. 
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Welcome to owning money pits.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Welcome to the real world. :grin: 

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Yesterday the idiot light came on warning CHANGE OIL SOON! It still had 400 miles until the next recommended change so I panicked thinking it has started to burn oil or has a leak, but no, the dip stick level was fine and the oil - a synthetic - didn't look particularly dirty. I assumed then the on board oil analyzer has sensed a problem. Off to the Chevy dealer in the morning with VISA in hand and holding my breath!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Aren't the change oil lights usually just on a timer?
    NOLA
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Tanya and I keep these in our cars. As far as I can tell, they are the best. 

Clore JNC660 'Jump-N-Carry' 1,700 Peak Amp 12-Volt Jump Starter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JFJLP6/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_RfYdvb181FRSH
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    yes - and that's why I suspect the oil analyzer has caused it to trip the trigger.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    LOL... Don't cha just hate it when life jumps up and bites ya in the ass?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Mine starts flashing right before 5k and then comes on full time at 5k on the Tundra
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Early Saturday hoped in the Van (29k miles /13 mo's old) and it just made that ticking sound. No start. Got in the PU and went to Dallas. Got back very late. 
    This morning I made 2 statements never before said by me:
    First- I need to go to Walmart. 
    Second- I need to buy a jumper cable. 
    What is this world coming too. 
    Will go by Toyota store in the morning and they will replace the battery as leaving Tue early for Seaside and Savannah. It was nice not owning a damn car/truck for the past 30 years. Not fun being a regular person. 
    I was a Boy Scout.  Motto - Be Prepared.

I own 4 cars and everyone of them has a set of jumper cables and a portable air compressor, and good lug wrench unlike the crappy ones that come with the spare tire.  If those fail me, then the AAA card in the wallet comes out.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Tanya and I keep these in our cars. As far as I can tell, they are the best. 

Clore JNC660 'Jump-N-Carry' 1,700 Peak Amp 12-Volt Jump Starter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JFJLP6/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_RfYdvb181FRSH
    @travisstrick they are, I've had several thought the years at the shop, but they don't hold a good enough charge (to crank a completely dead battery unless they are continuously plugged in. The last one I bought even stated that in the directions. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    I've been told it is based off of crankshaft rotations. So if you spend a lot of time idling it will come due before actual mileage   IDK.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Zmokin said:

I own 4 cars and everyone of them has a set of jumper cables and a portable air compressor, and good lug wrench unlike the crappy ones that come with the spare tire.  If those fail me, then the AAA card in the wallet comes out.
    The lug wrench is a great idea. Had some tires changed at a Les Schwab recently. Watched as the wheel mechanic air gunned the lug nuts on. The manager finalized the sale and asked if we had any questions - I advised the lug nuts had been tightened into oblivion, not torqued. To his credit, he came out and tried to loosen a lug nut with the factory lug wrench. No way that was happening. The car went back in and they hand torqued all the wheels.  Never saw that before. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Make sure to buy a quality lug nut wrench too; I had purchased a cheapie, "X"-style and it actually twisted into a pretzel, the nut wouldn't budge.  Anymore, when I get new tires, I get home and break all the nuts loose and torque them to spec myself, on the motorcycles too (my first flat on the beemer resulted in snapping a Torx bit in two!).  

Oddly I went to a Walmart today too, for the first time in years.  My Egg dealer used to sell 20-lb bags of BGE Lump for <$20, but it's now over $30  :o  Lowe's and Home Depot only carry Frontier (which I didn't like) and Cowboy (which you guys didn't like, I haven't tried it).  The good news, Wally World had RO, 10-lb bags for $7, I'll give that a try when the BGE is gone.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Zmokin said:

The lug wrench is a great idea. Had some tires changed at a Les Schwab recently. Watched as the wheel mechanic air gunned the lug nuts on. The manager finalized the sale and asked if we had any questions - I advised the lug nuts had been tightened into oblivion, not torqued. To his credit, he came out and tried to loosen a lug nut with the factory lug wrench. No way that was happening. The car went back in and they hand torqued all the wheels.  Never saw that before. 
    Over-torquing lugnuts and over-inflating tires are two of my pet peeves about most shops.  Even Honda dealerships will inflate the tires to the maximum rated pressure on the tire and not to the Honda recommended pressure in the owner's manual that is also stamped on a label on the driver's door jamb usually.  WTF, why can't a dealership follow their company's own guidelines on tire pressure and lugnut torque specs?
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    @Mickey you will almost be in my neck of the woods. I live 100 miles from Savannah. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Mickey said:
    It was nice not owning a damn car/truck for the past 30 years. 
    If I had your money, I would drive a different truck every day of the week =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I hope the service manager treats you better than he treats the rest of us lowly car owners.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

ahhh... welcome the world of us regular schmoes. Its painful :)

But how come the battery died after just a year? Will you get a warranty replacement?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mickey
    Options
    caliking said:

ahhh... welcome the world of us regular schmoes. Its painful :)

But how come the battery died after just a year? Will you get a warranty replacement?

I know a guy who knowes a guy. Bet I do leaving on a 5k trip
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    grege345 said:
    I hope the service manager treats you better than he treats the rest of us lowly car owners.
    I hired the service manager 35 years ago. 

• Mickey
    Options
    SGH said:
    Mickey said:
    It was nice not owning a damn car/truck for the past 30 years. 
    If I had your money, I would drive a different truck every day of the week =)
    I used to. Now I got my money and have a damn dead battery. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I've found if my shafts runs too long it needs an oil change. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Options

@Mickey you will almost be in my neck of the woods. I live 100 miles from Savannah. 
    Might have questions. My email 
    mjrawls@me.com. Thanks

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Hahaha Mickey had the same job longer than my son and I have been alive.....combined. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.