Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg Cleaner

Options
I found this at Home Depot while looking for a replacement filter for my shop vac.  It fits in my patio box, but my need to find a new place for my wood or the chair cushions.  Other option, get the outdoor kitchen done for storage. It was $21 + tax.  It works great and easier to handle then the shop vac.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    That is brilliant. Never seen that. I have a large shop vac and it is a pain to carry from shed to porch with egg. Thanks for posting
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Does it include the bucket or is that xtra?

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Have those here at HD and have considered multiple times. Need to just do it. I'm in the same boat as @chubbs and now my big vac is taking up real estate in the garage instead of the basement. 

@smokeypitt the bucket is extra here. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Does it include the bucket or is that xtra?
    No. Uses any bucket with a five gallon diameter top. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I like to use bags on the shop baca when picking up drywall dust or ash. It cuts way down on the dust blowing out the top exhaust. I suppose you can hook a bag up?
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I wonder if it does better than the mini shop vac. I got it just for the egg but it clogs constantly. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Going shopping tomorrow; thanks!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    How much
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Mickey said:
    How much
    You have your kilt over your head yet? Enjoy. The price was $21+tax.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Someone has to enlighten me on vacuuming an egg. I put an old pan under the lower vent, rake the ash, fill it with lump and repeat. Like a wood stove, leave ¼” to ½” in the bottom. Insulates the ceramic. The rake will also fit between the fire box and the base, almost half way around. That’s all the cleaning it needs.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @Skiddymarker I do the same except with the vacuum hose at the opening and when I really clean, the vacuum works well for top of the fire ring etc...
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    It works great and yes the bucket is extra, but it works with any 5 gallon bucket.   It does as well as my shop vav, but I first pulled out the little lump that slipped through first.  Italked handy and Ithink will be used more then the big shop vac.  It's pretty powerful. Worth it.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @Ladback69 I recall a good tip from @DMW.  You can switch it from suck to blow and put the hose in the draft door after you light the egg to accelerate the fire starting.  

Someone has to enlighten me on vacuuming an egg. I put an old pan under the lower vent, rake the ash, fill it with lump and repeat. Like a wood stove, leave ¼” to ½” in the bottom. Insulates the ceramic. The rake will also fit between the fire box and the base, almost half way around. That’s all the cleaning it needs.  
    I pretty much do this as well but I always manage to make a mess on the deck. I think I will have to pick up one of these.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @Ladback69 I recall a good tip from @DMW.  You can switch it from suck to blow and put the hose in the draft door after you light the egg to accelerate the fire starting.  

I pretty much do this as well but I always manage to make a mess on the deck. I think I will have to pick up one of these.  

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have a dedicated SS shop vac for the cooking area.  If you don't use bags, it's not practical as it will clog up constantly.  The bags cost a couple bucks and last for month.  No clogging.
    Options
    @nolaegghead.  This thing has a pre filter that should help keep the main filter from clogging so fast. 

Kansas City, Mo.
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    looks like a great idea.  The shop vac I use just seems to blow the dust out the other end. I noticed this in the winter when I saw all the dirty snow around the shop vac. Maybe this one will work better?
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    probing your egg....what sick fetishes will you freaks come up with next =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The only thing I don't like about my "Bucket Head Vac" is that it is very top-heavy.  I am thinking about dropping a brick or two in the bucket to try to counterbalance the weight of the vac head.  Also the hose is not very long as well.  I'm used to having a much longer hose!!!  =)

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Ladeback69
    Options
    mgd_egg said:
    looks like a great idea.  The shop vac I use just seems to blow the dust out the other end. I noticed this in the winter when I saw all the dirty snow around the shop vac. Maybe this one will work better?
    Mine does that too.  They have pre filters for the big filters to.  That may help a little.  I just bought a new filter for mine at the same time i got this.  This thing is just smaller and easier to use and store.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    All this cleaning you guys do, it must be that Rockwood you're using, creating all that ash. =)
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Ladeback69
    Options
    All this cleaning you guys do, it must be that Rockwood you're using, creating all that ash. =)
    I don't vacuum it out that often, I just thought it was something easier to use and store and not need the big shop vac, but yes I use Rockwood.  I clean the egg with a vacuum if i am going to do a long slow cook.  It just seems to help with the air flow.  Just remember to get fire box lined up right when you take everything out.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • fergi
    fergi Posts: 138
    Options

One thing the vacuum will do that the rake will not is clean the vent holes along the bottom of the firebox. Otherwise one has to remove the firebox to get to the ash that falls through the holes.

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    @Ladeback69 does it come with a bag/ filter like the bags I have linked to below?  I'm not sure if by pre-filter you mean a little foam pad of some kind.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bucket-Head-Intercept-Micro-Filter-for-LineVacer-10-Pack-100291/202187170

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Ladeback69
    Options
    There was a blue bag attached to the outside.  Now that I looked on line it is the only filter is has.  Here is what is looks like on the inside.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    I use a cheapo mini whisk broom & pan for my XL. Pull fire ring / box & sweep whats left after I trowel out the bulk. 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ