Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,114
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I was supposed to move to Raleigh-Durham-Carey area 3 seperate times.  For various reasons, each time (spanning 25 years) never happened.  NC has always been a place I have wanted to live.

I am still bummed about that, but for whatever reason the Universe has conspired against me.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Thanks @GrateEggspectations I set it at 125
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    129° won't quite get you to medium rare, you want a couple more degrees. 
    This was sous vide one and a half hours at 130°

This one 132"

This was 128°

Sorry about the order.
    You want to let  your steak rest or better yet chill it before searing. 
    Then sear hot over direct heat, almost smoking ci pan or torch it

Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    That all looks good @MasterC
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• MasterC
    MasterC Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Most importantly enjoying eating steak
    Fort Wayne Indiana 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    you do know you can put some ice in the nit and drop the sous vide down to 110/112, then sear after it stabilizes at those lower temps. make sure to dry the steak down before the sear or it will take too long. i would prefer the sear on the regular grid direct up around 700 with the dome open with the flames lapping up thru the grid, but thats just me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    agree with masterC - unless you are cutting 1/2” steaks, SV to the temp you want in the middle, then rest/cool it a bit and dry the outside well before searing really f’n hot and use a fat that won’t burn.  try some ghee if you have it
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I was supposed to move to Raleigh-Durham-Carey area 3 seperate times.  For various reasons, each time (spanning 25 years) never happened.  NC has always been a place I have wanted to live.

I am still bummed about that, but for whatever reason the Universe has conspired against me.
    The truth is that Asheville is the true gem in NC.  That’s where I’d want to be in the state if I could live anywhere.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Legume said:

devastated.
    A couple of years back, we had a cold from blow in and I went out to check on everything that night and couldn't find the gasser.  Turned on the pool light and up, the wind blew it into the deep end.  Nothing like pulling out of a pool in December.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. first sous vide with steaks for me, I am getting a bit nervous, our kitchen freezer is full of odds and ends, the garage freezer is full of chickens and my stand up freezer has 1/2 a beef in it more or less, fish and rando about 90% full, we are butchering hogs on jan 18th so not sure where I am going to go with all that!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    No effin way I would live in Asheville with all the hippies but I get why you would want to be there @JohnInCarolina.  I would take a spot over looking the New River or the Boone area.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

The truth is that Asheville is the true gem in NC.  That’s where I’d want to be in the state if I could live anywhere.  
    We’ve had people tell us that Cary stands for “Containment Area for Relocated Yankees.”

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• GrateEggspectations
    Options

You don’t have to hide your motives here, Ozzie. Pretty plain to see that you didn’t want to live in the same city as @johnincarolina
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys. first sous vide with steaks for me, I am getting a bit nervous, our kitchen freezer is full of odds and ends, the garage freezer is full of chickens and my stand up freezer has 1/2 a beef in it more or less, fish and rando about 90% full, we are butchering hogs on jan 18th so not sure where I am going to go with all that!
    I suspect you’ll take to SV pretty quickly. Soooo convenient when hosting and not certain when you should be eating. Leaves you a huge window. Have recently been SV’ing a lot of brisket and it’s been incredible. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    No effin way I would live in Asheville with all the hippies but I get why you would want to be there @JohnInCarolina.  I would take a spot over looking the New River or the Boone area.
    Who gives a sh!t about the hippies?  They’re harmless.  The main attraction in Asheville for me is all of the breweries downtown, not to mention many of the restaurants.  All that plus the surrounding mountains makes for a pretty nice place.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Oh no not hippies!  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Options

Oh no not hippies!  
    Damn.  That was not in the brochure.  I told my wife last night that men are weak and easy to sway.  They could probably convince me to listen to some Grateful Dead or Janis Joplin.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    those look like coachella “hippies”

expensive sunglasses and iphones are a tell
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    John- noticed they opened a Cugino Forno in Durham. Worth a visit-

Greensboro, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    those look like coachella “hippies”

expensive sunglasses and iphones are a tell
    Some things cost more than others…
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    John- noticed they opened a Cugino Forno in Durham. Worth a visit-

We’ve been - it’s pretty good!  We’re actually spoiled with gourmet pizza places here these days.  Toro is our favorite.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    mountains  -  North Carolina
    That's cute.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Botch said:
    That's cute.  
    It’s all fun and games until the peak snobs show up.  
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    Botch said:
    That's cute.  
    Flying over the alps. No comparison. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Never saw a mountain that was above tree line
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Options
    Botch said:
    That's cute.  
    It’s all fun and games until the peak snobs show up.  
    I have a 9k' peak out my back door, and I know better than to play that game.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I didn’t think there were any mountains in Ohio.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    think I have.  Traveling home from UT to SD, I came up to a canyon roadblock, road construction.  Was told by the flagman that it would be a 4-hour wait, or I could take a logger road for about 90 minutes; he looked at my car and asked "4-wheel drive?"  I said yes, he said, your call.  Gas tank was at 3/4s, but I'd only had this car for a year or so, my first/last new car.  
    Went for it.
    The logger road started in WY and descended into MT.  Once I got to a certain altitude there were no more trees, very cold, and blasting winds; was second-guessing myself the whole trek.  Finally made my way back down, got onto an eastbound interstate, and relaxed a bit.  
    Too soon.
    I had to dodge two really bad storms that afternoon, even parked underneath an Interstate overpass at one point.  The second storm started hailing, bad, and I pulled up against a building on the downwind side.  Suddenly the garage door opened, and I was motioned to back in.  LOVE IT!  After the hail passed I handed those wonderful guys a $20 for some pizza, but they wouldn't accept it.    
    The trip back home was just as "interesting", but that's for another thread.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I’ve been to the highest point in Ohio and if there wasn’t a sign I would have never know.
       @Botch Montana is beautiful country definitely with mountains, my sil lives in glacier national park, and with the bears and peaks definitely reminds me of home.  I have come to appreciate mountains east of the Mississippi, though ancient and worn to their cores, they were once and should always be recognized as mountains and you should respect elders.

South of Columbus, Ohio.