Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    When you take a chance, sometimes it comes up roses and sometimes you get fu€£+!     

Here’s to those who put themselves out there and take that chance.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    thetrim said:
    When you take a chance, sometimes it comes up roses and sometimes you get fu€£+!     

Here’s to those who put themselves out there and take that chance.  

Problem with the new job @thetrim or you just referring to the bitchy comments about the open road and getting rid of all your crap?

Personally I miss the days where I was only responsible for a duffle bag and crammed in with a bunch of knuckle heads in tight quarters...it was never dull.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,497
    Options

Shelby Cobra that was 3D printed out of carbon fiber, at Oak Ridge National Lab.
    Wasn't aware you could 3D-print carbon fiber, but its been 3 years since I worked in the 3D print lab.  :confused:

"In the twinkling of an eye, I found myself without an office, without a seat, without a party, and without an appendix."  - Winston Churchill

• Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options

Shelby Cobra that was 3D printed out of carbon fiber, at Oak Ridge National Lab.
    How does that work? Some kind of micro chopped strand / resin mix?
  • Eoin
    Options
    kl8ton said:

Exactly 6 months to the day we told the kids we were selling everything and hitting the road.  We sold the house, most everything we own, I left my job,  and today we departed.  Grand Rapids Michigan is where we started this morning.  We are in Lexington KY for the night.  All rain the whole way.  The rig pulled nice.  
    Good luck!
  • thetrim
    Options
    It’s not the critic that counts....
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I am with you @Dyal_SC. I will take 18 days of grinding stone to reface my woodshed, but I will never ever EVER paint a room again.  I hate painting.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • thetrim
    Options
    Painting is relaxing.  
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,629
    Options
    Painting is more fun at someone else’s house
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Botch said:

Wasn't aware you could 3D-print carbon fiber, but its been 3 years since I worked in the 3D print lab.  :confused:
    Their MDF is state of the art:

https://www.ornl.gov/blog/eesd-review/moving-future-3d-printing

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina so they are printing carbon fiber? That is possible?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yes.  Pellets of resin and CF.  From John's link:

"
    The Big Area Additive Manufacturing system—developed through a collaboration with Cincinnati Incorporated—works to overcome the speed and cost challenges by depositing commodity materials and doing it faster than earlier systems. Like those systems, the BAAM machine melts a carbon-reinforced polymer to create products, but instead of pushing and melting a plastic wire, it relies on pellets of the material fed with a screw extruder.

“There’s a fundamental limit on how fast you can heat the wire and melt it,” Love said. “By going from a heated tube and wire to a pellet and screw, you go from a limit of one cubic inch an hour to printing as fast as you want.”

By using this new system and reinforcing the material with carbon fiber, he said, researchers were able to bring the cost of a  nal part from $1,000 a pound to around $20 a pound.

“Now it gets to be pretty exciting,” he said. “It opens up other applications where traditionally you would never think about 3D printing.”

"

Options
    Sad news sports fans - there is literally no sport on this whole weekend.  Nothing, nada, zip, zilch, diddly squat.
    Thats because the PL has given way to the FA Cup 4th round.

So the domestic cup with marginally more value out of the two enters the stage where PL teams very carefully plan to eject themselves and minnows dream of a run to the final. 

It did used to mean something, back when it was the only game shown on TV live - often on both main channels, BBC1 and ITV.  BBC2 probably had horse racing from Towcaster - and a bonus prize for any of my US chums that pronounce that name accurately.   Yes we had just 3 TV channels until the mid-80's and then we went all out and added a 4th!.

Anyhoo, we have cup-ties spread over the next three days.  
    Things to look out for, er, well - er, ummmm…  depends if you like watching teams with peculiar names 'Accrington Stanley' for instance, or collect football team suffixes generally.
    This weekend you can watch a;
    United,
    City,
    Wanderers,
    Hotspur
    Athletic
    Town
    Rovers
    Albion
    Rangers
    County
    Wednesday 
    the aforementioned Stanley and a couple of AFC prefixes, too.
    Not bad, just missing; Dons, Orient, Argyle, Forest, North End.  

Sensibly @eoin Stoke gave up on the whole thing in the last round.   Palace have a great chance to bow out with grace as they play Spurs on Sunday.  Sadly, Spurs are injury hit and might field 11 staff from the admin department.   Oh and Arsenal play Ole’s Utd tonight.  It is now actual UK law that Man Utd are always televised in the FA Cup - because most of the media love them,  the rest love Liverpool.  Not the case for the rest of society I can assure you. 

Happy Burns Night to all you sweaties!

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Yes.  Pellets of resin and CF.  From John's link:

"
    The Big Area Additive Manufacturing system—developed through a collaboration with Cincinnati Incorporated—works to overcome the speed and cost challenges by depositing commodity materials and doing it faster than earlier systems. Like those systems, the BAAM machine melts a carbon-reinforced polymer to create products, but instead of pushing and melting a plastic wire, it relies on pellets of the material fed with a screw extruder.

“There’s a fundamental limit on how fast you can heat the wire and melt it,” Love said. “By going from a heated tube and wire to a pellet and screw, you go from a limit of one cubic inch an hour to printing as fast as you want.”

By using this new system and reinforcing the material with carbon fiber, he said, researchers were able to bring the cost of a  nal part from $1,000 a pound to around $20 a pound.

“Now it gets to be pretty exciting,” he said. “It opens up other applications where traditionally you would never think about 3D printing.”

"

Thanks for digging that out for me! Pretty wild.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Feeding
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Otto, our Schnauzer, went to doggy heaven before Christmas and today we got an unplanned replacement. He's a fancy expensive dog that didn't fit in with the buyer's other dog. We think it was probably left in the house a lot and was bored. Anyway, we took it off their hands. Meet Ted......

He's cool, Great name!
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Otto, our Schnauzer, went to doggy heaven before Christmas and today we got an unplanned replacement. He's a fancy expensive dog that didn't fit in with the buyer's other dog. We think it was probably left in the house a lot and was bored. Anyway, we took it off their hands. Meet Ted......

Good looking pup!  

Is is that a sauna in the background? 
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Eoin
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Eoin said:

Good looking pup!  

Is is that a sauna in the background? 
    Pool house for the hot tub. Could be made into a sauna.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Is that a custom build or is that a common shape in the UK? Never seen that style here in the States. It's kinda cool looking.
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • thetrim
    Options
    Hate to trigger @nolaegghead, but every time I see that non pass interference play, I think it gets even worse.    
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Eoin
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Is that a custom build or is that a common shape in the UK? Never seen that style here in the States. It's kinda cool looking.
    It was a design by a garden building company locally and we had it built a bit differently using the same basic layout. It's a good changing room for the tub, inside is all boarded out with hinged lids on the side benches for storage and finished with yacht varnish.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Eoin said:

Congrats....is that Ted's old dog house or new in the background? =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Eoin
    Options
    Eoin said:

Congrats....is that Ted's old dog house or new in the background? =)
    Ted will be living in luxury in the house!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks like traffic here is on a slow, consistent decline.  This place used to be a lot unfriendlier.

Options
    Eoin said:

How's Siri adjusting? 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay