Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sauce For Pulled Pork

Options
fergi
fergi Posts: 138
I'm getting ready to try my hand at pulled pork and would appreciate some suggestions for a sauce. I'm not a fan of the sweet bottled varieties found on the store shelves.

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

Comments

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    Look for a recipe on Eastern North Carolina sauce.  Vinegar based.  Goes well with pulled pork.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    i have been using the dead guy sauce posted by CarolinaQ a while back. It's really good. I do add a little butter but that's just cuz i can 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • onthegreen
    Options
    Sorry, i just use my favorite store bought bbq sauce. Usually I don't put on much sauce anyway because I don't want to hide the flavor of the pork. I'm sure you have but If you haven't already considered it yet try making a simple coleslaw to go on the sandwich it gives it an awesome crunch and flavor and and last time I lightly toasted my buns, light coating of mayo, and oddly enough added pickles, it was out of this world good. With brisket prices so high pork butt/shoulder is the new brisket.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This is a bottle but I use the hell out of it. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2015
    Options
    i have been using the dead guy sauce posted by CarolinaQ a while back. It's really good. I do add a little butter but that's just cuz i can 
    Here... http://food52.com/recipes/6400-dead-guy-sauce
    Recipe created by TRex, the steak guy. 

Couple more...

Traditional Eastern NC vinegar sauce (from my mid-80s Weber cookbook that came with my kettle). 

1 1/2 cups each, white vinegar and cider vinegar
    1 1/2 Tablespoons each, sugar, red pepper flakes, bottled hot sauce, cayenne

s&p to taste

Can reduce or eliminate cayenne if desired. 

Found this this one from Emeril. The one listed as Barbecue Sauce, not the mop. Love this stuff, even if it does have ketchup. And no cooking. 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/barbecued-pulled-pork-sandwiches-with-homemade-bbq-sauce-cole-slaw-and-fried-pickles-recipe.html

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fergi
    Options
    Thanks all of you for your comments. Have already made a trip to HEB for one of the sauces and will try the recipes you have suggested! 

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited March 2015
    Options
    We use a 50/50 mix of Sweet Baby Ray's and apple butter sauce for a sweet sauce (sometimes with a touch of root beer), the usual smoke wood for PP at my house is apple, so seemed like a natural. 
    This tread has a bunch of vinegar tangy sauces which we also do for sammies.
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1317292#Comment_1317292
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • MadcapMagician
    Options
    Dead guy sauce

Makes about 2 cups once reduced

• cups apple cider vinegar
    • 2/3cup brown sugar
    • 2/3cup ketchup
    • 1teaspoon tobasco
    • 1teaspoon salt
    • 1teaspoon onion powder
    • 1teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
    • 1teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for about half hour, whisking periodically, until the sauce just begins to thicken. Serve immediately, or reserve in the refrigerator and reheat.

1 brand new XL BGE 1-22" WSM 1-Weber Performer 1-Four Seasons gasser West Islip, New York
  • proline19
    Options
    Where did you find Franklins BBQ sauce????
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    proline19 said:
    They sell it at HEB grocery stores in Austin

Where are you located?

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    I posted one that is still in the process of being reviewed..... :angry: 
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Durangler said:
    I posted one that is still in the process of being reviewed..... :angry: 
    If it saved as a draft repost and it will go
  • fergi
    Options
    proline19 said:

HEB here in the Fort Worth area.

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    Thanks @Yolk ... No draft saved.
    Had a link to NecessaryIndulgents blog for her Root Beer Chili Sauce sauce. No go, I guess.
    Just google her and search N Carolina pork butt. Sauce recipe is 1/2 way down that page.
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options

Traditional Eastern NC vinegar sauce (from my mid-80s Weber cookbook that came with my kettle). 

1 1/2 cups each, white vinegar and cider vinegar
    1 1/2 Tablespoons each, sugar, red pepper flakes, bottled hot sauce, cayenne

s&p to taste

This is my favorite ^.

Also google Adam Perry Lang's BBQ sauce.  It's a bit of a task to make, but it's very good.
    NOLA
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My go-to sauce is one I learned from Pork Butt Mike, who doesn't seem to be around any more.

Combine Kraft BBQ Sauce and Wishbone Italian Dressing 1:1 and put in a squeeze bottle. I love it!

Judy in San Diego
  • Mickey
    Options
    proline19 said:
    HEBs all over Texas
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options
    Fergi please run down to Salado for the Salado EggFest on the 14th. Just about 150 miles south on I-35 between Waco and Austin. Meet a bunch of the people from here. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Mickey said:
    This is a bottle but I use the hell out of it. 

I received a bottle of the above from my Elfster. It's actually pretty darn good I thought. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    At my last pork cooking class I was turned on to 1 part sweet Blues Hog and 1 part vinegar Blues Hog mixed together.   Good stuff. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • fergi
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Fergi please run down to Salado for the Salado EggFest on the 14th. Just about 150 miles south on I-35 between Waco and Austin. Meet a bunch of the people from here. 
    I'll keep that in mind, Thanks for the invitation! Where in Salado?

Fort Worth Texas

Large & XL Green Egg

• Mickey
    Options
    @fergi its at the park. Take a look at this and call me any questions. 
    Mickey 254.630.8399
    SALADO EGGFEST BLOG 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    If you want a little ketchup in your sauce, you can do a Lexington style BBQ sauce.  Some of these ingredients are not indigenous to the real deal, it is really what I like.  Also, I am not the best at exact measurements, so please use as a guide and taste to see what you like.  

2 cups cider vinegar 

2 cups ketchup 

2 cups of water (If thicker back to 1/2 part (1 cup or less))

*1/2 cup sugar 

*1/4 - 1/2 cup brown sugar

*1 tablespoon iodized salt

*1 teaspoon pepper 

*1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

*1 tablespoon butter

* Couple dashes Worcestershire 

* I add a little dried mustard 

Juice of a lemon

* - To taste  

Place all ingredients in a sauce pan.  I bring up to a boil, then let simmer for a while (around 30mins or longer).  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    If you want a little ketchup in your sauce, you can do a Lexington style BBQ sauce.  Some of these ingredients are not indigenous to the real deal, it is really what I like.  Also, I am not the best at exact measurements, so please use as a guide and taste to see what you like.  

2 cups cider vinegar 

2 cups ketchup 

2 cups of water (If thicker back to 1/2 part (1 cup or less))

*1/2 cup sugar 

*1/4 - 1/2 cup brown sugar

*1 tablespoon iodized salt

*1 teaspoon pepper 

*1 teaspoon red pepper flakes

*1 tablespoon butter

* Couple dashes Worcestershire 

* I add a little dried mustard 

Juice of a lemon

* - To taste  

Place all ingredients in a sauce pan.  I bring up to a boil, then let simmer for a while (around 30mins or longer).  

I like this. Vinegar base cuts the fat of the pork nicely. This is perfect for making a dressing for slaw as well. I add a couple cut up onions and some of my favorite hot sauce to this basic combo to taste. Definately Lexington area inspired.(actually Lake Norman/Mooresvile)

Jim
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim