Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nest vs Table

13»

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,677
    @WeberWho thanks. Coming back to me.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Mine came with a metal table made by Sole' Gourmet.

I like it.

Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Something I didn't read on this thread. Some guys build Egg homes from retaining wall blocks or some other type of hardscape. This is not portable but IMO a great idea. It's much more fire resistant and not terribly expensive. I was going to put mine in a table until I saw some of the scary fire photos on here. If you have the room, think about the stone option. It doesn't have to be permanent. I'd post the pics if I could remember who has done this.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • @shtgunal3‌ has his small in something like you're talking about.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    @theyolksonyou...yes, that's it. Love that set up. Thanks.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,794
    Yep, that wasn't to expensive and it won't burn. Not much room to set stuff but my large (wood) table is next to it and it has room.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,703
    The distribution warehouse for the Ace Hardware stores in our area must be anti-egg.  They don't handle the BGE nor do they handle Rockwood lump.

Their distribution warehouse doesn't have anything to do with BGE's, that's an individual store thing.

The fact that the Princeton, IL warehouse does not have Rockwood was my decision, not theirs.  Have your local store contact us directly.

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Nest with a side stainless work table. My wood table lit up around 2AM. I was lucky enough to wake up to put it out. Now the table is a potting bench.
    Kemah, TX
  • Buzilo
    Buzilo Posts: 185
    Hey Everyone, I just want to say thank you for all your input. Buying this Egg has made me feel like a big part of a really good group of people! Its like a brotheregghood!

I can't wait until tomorrow. I am going to make my first burgers on the egg!
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    That isn't catching fire, but if it was mine, I still would have the egg sitting on a table nest and not directly on the brick.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Nest are portable, if you are careful. Tables are heavy, wood ones need adequate heat shielding under and around the egg, work surface space adds to the size and lack of portability. Many folks build storage into a table, resulting in a loaded 800# monster, not exactly portable unless it's on air glide wheels. Wooden tables are far from maintenance free and they do burn....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited December 2014
    I have a cedar table with heavy duty casters and a granite top and love it.  Never even considered the nest and saved $150 or so buying my Egg without it. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Anyone ever ditch their casters and go for skids bolted onto the nest??? This just occurred to me as an option. Maybe cut up a cheapo cutting board and screw it onto the bottom to make it slide easier????

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!