Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nest vs Table

What's everyone's take on the BGE nest vs Getting a table?

Comments

• I have a large in a table and a large in a nest. I hands down prefer the table. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Buzilo
    Buzilo Posts: 185
    Hey JohnKitchens, thanks for sharing. What's the reason you prefer the table? Is it due to more space and is there anything against the nest? I Have the XL and I'm worried the nest might tip over one day.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,958
    Did you mean buying a table or building your own?
  • Buzilo
    I would probably buy one however, building one would be fun.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    edited December 2014
    Having my eggs in a nest works perfect for me. I like the fact that I can easily move them around to different spots in my yard . Mainly depending on the weather. Rainy, I just pull them under the patio. Nice and sunny, I can move them to a shaded area or anywhere in my yard.. A table near by comes in handy instead of depending solely on the wings. 
    Here is my current set-up but, I have a really nice work bench that I'm in the process of making into a table. But my eggs will stay in their nests.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• I like the table better because of the space. I plan on adding mates to the egg in the nest, but I don't have them yet. 

I am contemplating a new table that I can put both eggs in. I can't decide what to do. 

I don't have a problem with the nest. I just like the extra space that I get with the table. 

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,483
    I have a nest, because at the time that's what I could afford. I want to build a table of some kind, maybe next year. The nest is very mobile and has its advantages, but a table is more versatile and you can store things on it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Buzilo
    Hey TigerTony, that's a nice setup you got there. Thanks for sharing. I like your point about being able to move the egg. I think building a table is a good idea for anyone who has space.
  • If you decide to build a table, you can put wheels on it, but make sure they are very sturdy and well attached. Also, ALWAYS PULL DON'T PUSH! Don't ask me how I know.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    I have a metal table on good castor's.  It is easy to roll around with no fear of tipping.  I like having the table space immediately adjacent to the cooking surface.  However, my next Egg will be a medium located where A) mobility is important, &  B) storage size is very important.  It will be in a custom modified nest for rough terrain mobility, with Egg Mates for collapsible table surface area for easy and small storage area compatibility.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Buzilo
    Theyolksonyou, great Tip! Thanks for sharing.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,958
    Here's another angle to consider. While a nest may be more portable and easy to push around you need to consider the terrain and surfaces. An egg in a nest is top heavy and an obstruction under one of the wheels can make it tip. One solution is to never push an egg in a nest, but instead always pull it! That way if it starts to tip over you have a better chance of grabbing it as it would fall toward you instead of falling away from you.
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Buzilo said:
    The nest works great while you build your table. Then you already have a nest for your second egg. :-O
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Buzilo
    I can just picture my wife's face when I I say I want a second egg.
  • Buzilo said:

Give it 8-10 weeks. I mentioned it and it's going to be an uphill battle. I just showed her @badinfluence‌ signature and said see.... Still uphill.
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Buzilo said:
    Yeah good luck with stopping @ one egg! I was of the same opinion...... a couple eggs ago.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Buzilo
    I don't know I think the XL is all I need but I guess time will tell
  • Buzilo said:

yes it will B-)
  • Buzilo said:
    You know the old saying, "it is easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission." 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 33,427
    Surprised this angle hasn't been brought up-the wood table can present more of a fire hazard than the nest.  There have been a few eggers who have had serious house fire damage (level of detail left to those should they choose to offer) related to the BGE in a wood table and a few others who dodged a major fire conflagration with the table set-up.  Others use metal table or stand-alone wood table set-ups.  Something to consider-FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    If you are using a nest and moving the BGE around, the advice to pull instead of push is spot on. Also, I have my large eggs in nests with egg handlers. I highly recommend the handlers for increased stability when moving the eggs. Much more stable!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • mtbguy
    mtbguy Posts: 299
    Table for me, and my friends think I should sell them. Had fun making the table. Large has a good home. Now I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to make a mini max table hook to the large table. Oh and no wife to ask. Thought one egg was enough. Yeah right. Notice the old weber in the background. No more gas grills here.
  • Buzilo
    I think my next purchase will be a handler
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    After 2+ years Of thinking about this I've decided to build a table but not put my egg in it. Provides the best of both worlds.
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,483
    Buzilo said:

I bought the XL first to handle the biggest cook I could do. Now I want the Mini Max, because so I don't use as much lump and it would get up to temp faster. There is just 3 of us and it would be perfect during the week and safe the XL for large cooks on the weekend.

XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

• Buzilo said:

Give it 8-10 weeks. I mentioned it and it's going to be an uphill battle. I just showed her @badinfluence‌ signature and said see.... Still uphill.

@theyolksonyou‌ man up cupcakes! Never ask permission ask for forgiveness. After awhile they don't even notice another egg and when they do just tell them it's been there for months gesh.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,810
    Buzilo said:

To me it's size dependent. For my mini I prefer the nest for portability reasons. For my large I much prefer the table for added stability and also for room to lay trays and pans on. Just my preference my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    I've got an XL and a Mini Max.  I have always had my XL in the nest so I can roll it around the patio.  With the addition of the Mini Max I, I went to a restaurant supply store last saturday and bought a stainless steel prep table.  It's on casters so it's mobile as well.  Now I can put the Mini Max on the table and have a lot of surface to work with as well as having the XL directly next to it.
    If it ever stops raining here, I'll post pics of it.  More than likely this weekend.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,115
    If it's any help, because of the weight and wide base compared to the Large, Medium and Small, it's pretty stable in the Nest. And I have the older style with the smaller wheels. The newer one is even better.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas