Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nest vs Table

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,205
    lousubcap said:

Surprised this angle hasn't been brought up-the wood table can present more of a fire hazard than the nest.  There have been a few eggers who have had serious house fire damage (level of detail left to those should they choose to offer) related to the BGE in a wood table and a few others who dodged a major fire conflagration with the table set-up.  Others use metal table or stand-alone wood table set-ups.  Something to consider-FWIW-

Couldn't agree more. Wood tables have never made much sense to me. Now add a wooden table on top of a wooden deck. That's a gamble I'm not willing to risk.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2014
    Originally bought our LBGE with a nest because I frankly didn't care for any of the prefab tables on display. And the tables I did like were crazy expensive. Then a prep table that needed an abundance of TLC caught my eye at work. I thought what if...and after modifications and TLC it became our LBGE's home.
    Edit: FWIW our table is SS.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I have mine in nests. I also have separate tables. My favorite is the Camp Chef Dutch Oven table.

I like this because it can handle hot parts out of the eggs and can also double as a prep area. Or as a table for my butane burner, etc.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Originally bought our LBGE with a nest because I frankly didn't care for any of the prefab tables on display. And the tables I did like were crazy expensive. Then a prep table that needed an abundance of TLC caught my eye at work. I thought what if...and after modifications and TLC it became our LBGE's home. Edit: FWIW our table is SS.
    The dealer tables are a step up from particle board.  They're made with new farmed cypress which is about as weather resistant as paper mache or balsa wood and they're stapled together with toggle bolts on the legs.  And no finish. If you completely disassembled it and gave it a finish at the get go it could be a good table (and 86 the staples).  On top of all that, it's overpriced for what you get.  So basically I'm saying "I concur".
    DMW ... That looks like a nice table!. I might just get something like that and keep the egg in the nest. 
  • Buzilo
    Buzilo Posts: 185
    Off topic, just wanted to share a quick picture I took of the smoked salmon from tonights dinner served on a wood plank. 250 Degrees for about 30-40 minutes.  I warmed up some apricot Jam and lightly brushed the salmon with it for the last 10 minutes. One thing to note, if you leave the salmon covered in brown sugar, you will find that it will cure the salmon and allow for it to smoke better. Cheers! 
  • Not like you need any extra opinions here, but I will chime in.  I have my large in a nest and it works for me.  It's not ideal when you need prep space or a place to lay down the platesetter or other accessories, but I do like the fact that I can move it around the patio and put it pretty much anywhere.  I also like how I can get around the whole egg which comes in handy once in a while.  Someday when I'm a little more permanent, I would like to build a table that would be it's home and maybe put another egg in there too, but for now the gasser works fine as my storage and prep space.  If you do buy the nest and you find you don't like it or you don't use it, I always see people unloading them on Craigslist - just MHO - 
  • Buzilo
    Thanks Chicagoegghead20. A very practical point of view. I agree with what your saying. I think my biggest issue is space so I am considering building a table next summer when it gets nice out or go with a side table as DMW suggested. Thank you for your input as it is always appreciated! 
  • I'd wrap that plate setter in heavy duty aluminum foil STAT. Save yourself a lot of cleaning grief later. Wen that thing starts getting grease on it and it starts cooking off it will stink up your food.
  • nolaegghead
    I have large castors on my egg table and it moves around like a zamboni on wet ice.
    theyolksonyou, that is a good tip. I will make sure I do that next time I cook. Didn't think of the cleaning part yet as it is my first cook but you just saved me a lot of work later. Thanks!
  • Buzilo
    Nolaegghead, what are castors? 
  • Foil is your friend, it has lots of uses on your egg. Here's a freebie. When you use a drip pan, you need an air gap. You can sit your pan on balls of foil.

also, castors are wheels like on a cart.
  • nolaegghead
    Buzilo said:
    Nolaegghead, what are castors? 
    Sorry, "casters".  I'm completely dyslexic.  Swivel wheels. 

DYSLEXICS UNTIE!!!
    edited December 2014
    Castor had it rough. He was fully human, but his half-brother was the result of his mother being seduced by a god. Oh, his full sister was also his half-brother's twin. 

I'll bet he grew up confused.

And now people are confusing him with wheels. Poor guy...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    ^^^no thanks to "spell-checker"   Damn homophones.
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    I have a nest because I roll mine in and out of my garage..and a table would be big rolling in and out..I have a TV tray I set up next to it.

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,677
    Big fan (for me) of the nest with "Handlers". Like being able to move easy. But must have handlers. Notice on the back of Eggs. Sams sells a rolling SS table for $100 that works nice for a prep. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    I saw around here where someone built a table and still used their nest. I wish I could remember who it was. It looked real nice. Best of both worlds.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• What @Mickey‌ said. Go with the nest WITH HANDLER ans a simple stainless prep table. I like the prep table so when I'm done all I have to do is roll it out and hose that suckered down.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • mlamb01
    mlamb01 Posts: 210
    I initially wanted to get a wood table, but ended up sticking with my nest and a stainless steel prep table next to the egg.  I like the combo...  The fire risk is what turned me off of the wood tables.  What I read on here was that over time, the heat from cooking in the egg dries out the surrounding wood, until its like charcoal, then one day it will catch fire from the heat.  May take some years to happen, but it is only a matter of time.  This happens even when you use tiles under the egg.  Custom built wood tables can be designed to minimize the exposure of bare wood to the heat, that would be the way to go if you are set on wood.  Best bet is to get someone to make you a stainless steel one.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Mickey said:
    Big fan (for me) of the nest with "Handlers". ...
    @Mickey ... the hinge bracket is right there on the backside of the egg.  It seems to work well as a handle to move the egg around ... pull-don't-push.  What, in your calculations, justified the extra $100 plus for the handler?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Mickey
    Mickey said:
    Big fan (for me) of the nest with "Handlers". ...
    @Mickey ... the hinge bracket is right there on the backside of the egg.  It seems to work well as a handle to move the egg around ... pull-don't-push.  What, in your calculations, justified the extra $100 plus for the handler?
    I have moved more Eggs than all but a few guys on this forum. The Handler makes it safer for the Egg and for you. Did this to myself last year w/o a handler at the Salado Fest trying to keep from busting an Egg w/o a handler. That is the reason both my Larges have them.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• WeberWho
    Mickey said:

Big fan (for me) of the nest with "Handlers". Like being able to move easy. But must have handlers. Notice on the back of Eggs. Sams sells a rolling SS table for $100 that works nice for a prep.

I just picked up two large handlers at my local Ace. They were $64 dollars on closeout. I was also able to get 20% off that for $53 a piece after tax. Not bad on price but should be part of the nest from the start. Money grab for BGE

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    The distribution warehouse for the Ace Hardware stores in our area must be anti-egg.  They don't handle the BGE nor do they handle Rockwood lump.  It's Kamado Joe cookers and lump ... and Cowboy lump.  Oh yes, and Weber stuff.

I bought a large egg in a nest 'cuz I didn't know which direction I would go ... table or stay with the nest.  So far the separate table seems to be the best fit for my situation.  Guess I'll have to start looking for a handler.  One advantage is that the handler has a nice big metal side plate ... a couple of hard drive magnets and a small shelf would support the Maverick or DigiQ unit when they're used and disappear when not needed. 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Mickey
    edited December 2014
    @WeberWho I am thinking off memory and that is dangerous on its on. But I seem to remember there is two "handlers" (could be wrong on that). One for new nest and one for old nest (smaller wheels). Just saying you want to be sure. And I agree, it should be standard eqt.

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,505
    Do the wheels on the nest roll good on grass? Many wheels are for better suited for different surfaces and the size also can make a difference on how they roll.
  • WeberWho
    edited December 2014
    Mickey said:

@WeberWho I am thinking off memory and that is dangerous on its on. But I seem to remember there is two "handlers" (could be wrong on that). One for new nest and one for old nest (smaller wheels). Just saying you want to be sure. And I agree, it should be standard eqt.

@Mickey I believe the two options for handlers are pre 2008 and 2009+. Ripnem and I were trying to figure out the difference between the two the other day. Since the casters are bigger in 2009+ what would change on the handler? Maybe just the handle height to accommodate the bigger casters?

Minnesota
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,483
    Here is my set up for now. Have been looking for a large SS table to put my egg in.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.