Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE VS. ELECTRIC OVEN

Options
I know I am about to commit blasphemy, but I cannot help myself.  I have been experimenting with cooking southern style cornbread (no sugar just buttermilk, egg, baking soda, and salt in a cast iron skillet at 450F.  I'm adding onion, bacon fresh corn and occasionally ham.  I recently added a little serrano chile(just the peel and no rine or seeds)

I see no advantage to using the BGE to cook this cornbread.  

1. It's a side dish and a good thirty minutes to get up to cooking temp and then another few to get the CI skillet up to temperature and then the actual cook time on top of that.

2.  It's a waste to try and smoke the cornbread cause it is not in there more that 10 to 15 minutes

3.  I can cook it in my Breville toaster oven in one half the time with the same results and I don't have to shake the cinders out of the BGE or a add more hardwood charcoal to the BGE.

4.  I can fry a piece of bacon in my CI skillet on the gas stove and use the hot grease to pour the batter into.

I love my BGE with all my heart and stomach but I am just sayin......

Comments

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Makes sense to me, looks pretty tasty too.  If you were doing it in conjunction with something else.  But if somebody else likes it on the BGE more power to them.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I feel the same way about pizza
    Seattle, WA
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    IMHO, no blasphemy at all. The egg is a cooking tool and like any other tool it has its strengths and it has its weaknesses. Breads and cakes can be made on the egg with good results, they can also be made in the oven (even a toaster oven) with great results - every time. 

Many wok on their egg, I prefer a high output propane burner. It has great temp control, can get hotter and is much easier to use. It is also ready in seconds. 

Every now and then SWMBO asks for a chicken done on the gasser with the rotisserie. Not better than an egg spatched yard bird - just different. 

Nice looking corn bread - are you using a fine meal? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    I grew up on corn bread in the ci out of the oven. I've thought I might try it on the egg just for giggles, but I certainly wouldn't fire it up just for corn bread.
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    Corn bread on the egg is great.  I can't say that I'd ever go to the trouble to fire it up JUST to bake corn bread, but as a side with other egged items, it's hard to beat.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    There's no law saying ONCE YOU BUY A BGE YOU CAN NEVER USE YOUR OVEN. On the other hand...Using my egg to bake chocolate cakes for instance may sound silly to some people, but the reason I do boils down to one simple fact...because I can! I always get a kick out of the look people have when I tell them I baked this on my egg!  
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Glad you've figured this out. One doesn't need to use the egg for everything. I do think that most things cooked on the egg do taste better but maybe not worth the hassle. Also, there are the intangibles like not firing up an oven on a hot day in the south, or impressing your friends and family with your outdoor cooking skills, or, bragging on social media or this forum. LOL.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I look at cooking a different way. Firing up the egg means I get to go outside with a beer and cook. My eggs are in the garage and we live in a cul de sac so neighbors stop by and I have a tv I can see from the egg so why be inside? If it takes longer that means I just get to hang out longer. I have fired up the egg to cook a totinos before. We moved into our house in May and the oven still hasn't been turned on.
  • BBQJIM
    BBQJIM Posts: 106
    Options
    Thanks everybody for your input and understanding
  • BBQJIM
    Options
    Skiddymarker, Yes it is fine cornmeal.
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    edited November 2014
    Options
    +1 on what @lit said. Use the tool you like that is best for the task. No hatin here. But...life is full of "crazy hurry up and move on to the next thing", every day. It's amazing how taking the time to light a fire, prepare the food, make a cocktail, and fiddle with the egg is so relaxing to me. Equally amazing is how much I learn about my kids' days as we stand outside waiting on the egg to come up to temp. I hope they consider it quality time, I sure do.
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I use my Egg when I want to smoke something.  Even if it is grilling something but wanting smoke.
    I use a variety of other cooking tools when I'm not interested in smoke flavor.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• BBQJIM
    Options
    What ever floats your boats or cranks your handles
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Haven't had a fully functional oven in the 3 years I've owned the house. No need with the egg. Replacement oven part - $20. Still not interested. I'll fire up the egg
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Different cooking vessels for cooking is not blasphemous. Although the BGE is perfect for most cooks I agree that cooking in other vessels is not off the table. But, if doing a big meal and the egg's thermal mass is already at desired temps I like to use it for the simple fact it is efficient. Good looking Southern Style Cornbread :-bd
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I definitely understand and appreciate the egg doesn't always make the most sense, especially when time is a factor.  Heck lately our kids have us running around so much it is a rare occasion we really get to "cook" anything.  Tonight Publix is cooking us a rotisserie chicken...talk about blasphemy! 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Jim I did the other day on the Egg because I had never cooked cornbread on the Egg. It was fine, but like you, why? And why no bacon in that cornbread? image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• BBQJIM
    Options
    Yeah,  Several people do it on the egg just for being outside and talking to neighbors etc. That's is reason enough for them.  As to the bacon it is one of the staples of life.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    That and during the summer with highs in the 90s I always look for a reason not to heat up my house with the oven.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Personal preferences is what it comes down to, but I am in the same boat. I also cook lasagna, cookies, bread, etc in the oven, I'm crazy.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    @JRWHITEE VS MY WIFE!

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2014
    Options
    but i can sit in my old teak rocker on the lower patio enjoying a beverage and watch bikini clad latino girls swimming across the lake while cooking that cornbread, just saying
    :D sure beats standing in my worn out tiny kitchen watching an oven door
    :))

I would love to see these bikini clad Latin beauties my friend. They are one of my very favorites :>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

@SGH

Ummmm...can I come over

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI