Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best bbq book

Options
When I recieved my order from firecraft they sent me a catalogue, they sell cookbooks.I've been bbqing for a long time so I'm not a beginner. But I'm always trying to raise the bar, is there a holy grail of cookbooks.

Comments

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    To me it would be Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    +1

Garnerville, NY
  • DoctorMojo
    Options
    Peace, Love and Bar-B-Que....One of my Faves!!

Southern, Tennessee

LBGE, MBGE  

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    I like smoke and spice.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    smokeyw said:
    I agree with this.  Charred and Scruffed by APL is good too (although I would get Serious Barbecue first).
    NOLA
  • Handcyclist
    Options
    Smokin' by Myron Mixon--love the barbecued baked beans with peach filling. 

Ditto on the Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang.

There is a new cookbook available on Amazon and looks good.  It's release day was yesterday.  It is written specifically for kamado cooking--The Kamado Grill Cookbook by Fred Thompson.  Because I pre-ordered it, it arrived yesterday.  With only a short time to look through it I can say already it looks good--practical and doable.  It has a variety of recipes as well as a well written introduction to kamado style cooking, smoking, roasting, grilling, and baking. He gives recipes for each method of cooking.  He also includes, deserts, sauces, rubs, marinades, and injections.  The photography in it is gorgeousHe also includes directions in how to make your own bacon.  The author's biography states he has taught grilling classes across the country and has written at least ten cookbooks.  He is also a writer for Williams and Sonoma's line of cookbooks. 
    Knox, PA, Medium, Mini Max, Mini, Large KJ, grandma, handcyclist, eagle watcher, always in search of good chocolate.  
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Options
    Thanks for all the choices
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Our very own @NibbleMeThis has a cookbook. I haven't checked it out except what you can see for free on Amazon, but it has good reviews.

The Kamado Smoker and Grill Cookbook

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I love my APL Serious BBQ book. Its great. But be warned, if you like it simple, this ain't your book. Its very involved with LOTS of ingredients for each recipe. Just my opinion, of course.

Little Rock, AR

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Although not technically a BBQ book, this is the one book I find I use in reference to meats and smoking more than any other on my shelf. And there are a few there.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • kthacher
    kthacher Posts: 155
    Options
    Redundant, but another vote for APL.
    Winnipeg, Canada
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I've got a few books and rarely use them.  I bought a BBQ sauce book and was very disappointed with it.  Lots of different BBQ sauce recipes, not a one that used bourbon or whiskey, must have been written by a teetotaler.  So now, I pretty much go with the modern digital age and google for something new, elsewise, my old tried & true recipes on 3" by 5" cards, or print the ones I save on my hard disk. 
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    I asked for serious BBQ for Xmas since I kept borrowing my neighbors book. I will say that the recipes are very involved. Not that it sounds like you are a novice, some people don't like spending a ton of time cooking. I would say it's mostly a weekend cookbook for me.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options
    Smokinpig said:
    I like smoke and spice.
    Like that one also.  Been my go-to for quite a few years. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I asked for serious BBQ for Xmas since I kept borrowing my neighbors book. I will say that the recipes are very involved. Not that it sounds like you are a novice, some people don't like spending a ton of time cooking. I would say it's mostly a weekend cookbook for me.
    I don't know if you are referring to me or not.  I will say I spend a lot of time cooking.  I consider it one of my hobbies.  I cook almost all of the dinners for my wife & son.  today I cooked (smoked) ribs for my wife's potluck at her work (got up at 5 AM to get the ribs started, then went back to bed).  Delivered ribs just before their scheduled lunch time.  My wife cooks very rarely.
    This year I will be hosting Thanksgiving for my extended family, probably 12 people in attendance.  I also do my own canning of certain items.  I can my own poultry stock, beef stock, ham stock, spaghetti sauce, canned peaches from my tree, and can o'beans.  I make my own frozen condensed cream of mushroom soup (no home canning guides for cream of soups).  I grind most of my ground meat for consumption, rarely that I buy ground beef or pork.  We stopped using pre-packaged foods when we discovered most of my wife's medical problems stemmed from MSG.  And as I have high blood pressure, I just adopted cooking more and more from scratch (no more boxes of hamburger helper, rice'a'roni, etc.)  i do buy low sodium tuna and low sodium canned tomato products and no added salt canned veggies when I find them.
    I make my own rubs so I can eliminate MSG and reduce the salt content compared to commercially available products.  I have a lot of cookbooks, and most are neglected.  A few have recipes I like and use and those pages are tagged for easy finding.  but in general, i prefer to use the web than try to find a recipe in a book.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    Myron Mixon's first cookbook - good sauce recipes.
    Chris Lilly's first cookbook - good rub making theory, excellent pork shoulder recipe with injection
  • tjosborne
    tjosborne Posts: 529
    Options
    Steven raichlins the barbecue bible
    middle of nowhere- G.I. NE
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Raichlens how to grill is the one that got me really started, even though its a pretty simple book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0761120149?pc_redir=1414568039&robot_redir=1

Little Rock, AR

• Grillin_beers
    Options
    @zmokin I was referring to the OP. Sorry for any confusion
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Solid recipes and solid advice throughout.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Serious BBQ.  My Go To book. 
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    @SGH‌ i think maybe you're reading your book upside down. No wonder you hang everything on hooks.

Little Rock, AR

• MoJack
    MoJack Posts: 23
    Options
    Peace Love & BBQ

Legends of Texas Bbq
  • GQuiz
    GQuiz Posts: 701
    Options
    Don't forget APL's BBQ 25. Built like a kids book so the sauces rub off.

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    The thing about APL's book - yeah, sure, some of the recipes are complicated and have several steps - but many times I'll just skip the stuff that I don't feel like doing.  I won't bother with the marinade, for example, and just use the rub and glaze.  Stuff still comes out great.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • mslaw
    mslaw Posts: 241
    Options
    SGH said:
    Solid recipes and solid advice throughout. image
    Hands down I agree. My go to resource when I need smoking advice. I have all of the above mentioned books and I have to agree with SGH, Smoke and Spice is the best.
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    DMW said:
    Although not technically a BBQ book, this is the one book I find I use in reference to meats and smoking more than any other on my shelf. And there are a few there.

+1 on this. I have gone to this book way more than any of the BBQ books I have ever been given. I can get all the Q advice and ideas I need on the forum. This book is awesome!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,512
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The thing about APL's book - yeah, sure, some of the recipes are complicated and have several steps - but many times I'll just skip the stuff that I don't feel like doing.  I won't bother with the marinade, for example, and just use the rub and glaze.  Stuff still comes out great.
    Agree.  For example, one nice trick I learned from Serious Barbeque's baby back ribs recipe is to blend bbq sauce with honey, apple cider vinegar and grated Granny Smith apple, also spritz with apple juice just before pulling... I ignored the other more complicated steps and the bb comes out with an additional flavour profile.

I also like Charcuterie that @DMW mentioned.

canuckland