Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - HELP, SWMBO IS ANTI-EGG

Options
2»

Comments

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    agree with much of this advice.  stay away from the smoke, go simple and I would even try some sweeter taste profiles - like teriyaki or citrus on fish, chicken or shrimp
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Matter of fact, my wife has complained that some of the rubs make her "stomach hurt"

One, I think, is the Salt Lick Dry Rub and the other was Three Beer Rub.

When doing chicken or Spatch I'll avoid any seasoning on her breast. (ba da dum).
    New Albany, Ohio 

• tgkleman
    tgkleman Posts: 216
    Options
    You could also try some non-meat dishes, like stir-fry, pizza, or paella.  
  • tdeater
    tdeater Posts: 38
    Options
    Stick with the basics with her. salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder. If you use smoke use a little bit of apple, cherry, etc.  
  • bo_mull
    bo_mull Posts: 363
    Options
    When I was using BGE and Royal Oak lump, my wife said that the food was too smokey. I switched to Ozark Oak and all is good.

Cleveland, TN.

LG BGE, PSWOO2, Stoker WIFI.

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    GASGUY said:

Appreciate all the suggestions, helps to see things from a different prospectus. Keep them coming. Will consider any ideas except selling my Egg!!!! Thanks.

Well guess my idea got shut down. :(
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    My wife won't eatanything with a bone it it. Think ribs, spatchcock chicken, wings. Pretty much all of the best things you can eat. I just make her something different. It's annoying but it works. Sorry man.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @grillin_beers

Bingo

As we speak, the Egg is lit.

I will be cooking chicken breast filets  for her lunches this week and have a talapia filet sprinkled with Raging River ready to go. 

"Green beans or fresh salad", I shall ask.  

Me? 

Leftovers from yesterday's THIS:

New Albany, Ohio 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Always cook 2 different methods or spices. My family doesn't like certain things so I sometimes do 2 racks of ribs, 2 tenderloin, etc...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    One word for you... "Next" :D

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options

Matter of fact, my wife has complained that some of the rubs make her "stomach hurt"

One, I think, is the Salt Lick Dry Rub and the other was Three Beer Rub.

When doing chicken or Spatch I'll avoid any seasoning on her breast. (ba da dum).
    I LOVE the Salt Lick Dry Rub but it does have lotta red pepper in it. I see lots of people that have stomach issues with Red Pepper. Not saying thats her problem, but something watch out for b

Little Rock, AR

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Seems like every few months a newbie posts a similar discussion. I guess I sort of understand. But, there are so many simple solutions. K.I.S.S. on the spices use S&P and build from that. IMHO S&P is perfect by itself on so many proteins and veggies all by its lonesome.
    Lump...go neutral RW, OO, WGWW. Don't add wood until you get some decent results.
    ALWAYS let the creosote clear before putting food in your egg. Creosote (bad smoke) will ruin a cook quicker than anything.
    Most of all use the KISS approach and don't try to reinvent the wheel.
    Good luck and enjoy.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Brother Husker - I think you mean the bad smoke is VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds).  Creosote is the tarry stuff that builds up in house chimneys with fireplaces and if it builds up too much can start chimney fires.  I may be wrong, but I don't think so.
    Flint, Michigan
  • DaveRichardson
    Options
    I agree with @cazzy‌ .... Try a lighter smoke wood. Apple maybe. I love my pecan for smoke, by SWMBO likes lighter Apple.... If I'm cooking for her, it's apple, if for others, it's pecan or hickory for my pulled pork!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    When I first got my egg the wife used to complain a lot about the taste. I started buying Ozark Oak lump and she hasn't complained since. Now that I know more about what I'm doing, if I have to use a less desirable lump I will let it "burn clean" for 30-45 minutes if not longer. In my experience with OO it seems burn clean from the start.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    After reading this post I think you're in the classic dilemma, 
    You can be Right, or
    You can be Happy.

Best of luck.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    EgginATL42    +1.....that's the way I do it in my house !!!!!

I hope my wife don't see this !!!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone‌ yes. Exactly what I meant. VOCs. Why is it sometimes when I Swype on mobile something completely different appears. Oh well. ;)
    VOCs would ruin any cook real quick.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

@Fred19Flintstone‌ yes. Exactly what I meant. VOCs. Why is it sometimes when I Swype on mobile something completely different appears. Oh well. ;)
    VOCs would ruin any cook real quick.

Try using your hands to swype... =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • sctdg
    sctdg Posts: 301
    Options
    Nothing like being single ,living alone and having a part time girl friend who likes what I cook .She is from the school that if I want to cook knock yourself out .Food is alway's good if someone else is doing the cooking. My father was one of those people that if you seasoned something or did not cook meat till it was shoe leather he would not eat it . Drove my mother crazy . What was real bad was going out to eat ,it was a ritual where the meat no matter how well done always went back to the kitchen .Very embarrassing and God knows what they did to it before they brought it back out to him .
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    When I first got my egg, I screwed up by putting us into a meat coma the first month. She really got over loaded on the smoke flavored meats - direct or indirect.

At one point she simply asked me to stop altogether, "I know you love that thing, just give a rest willya?"

OK, I love this woman and want her to like it that I've taken over the cooking duties, at least for three seasons a year. 

This is how I solved it: She likes organization - so on Sunday afternoon I sat her down for a weekly meal plan. Check the freezer/fridge/cupboard and decide which day we're having what, and what needs to be bought to accomplish the meal plan.

I'm not making spaghetti on the egg, but I can get her to agree that the Italian hot sausage is less hassle and less 'odorous' to sear and cook on the egg, and then finish in the sauce on top of the stove. Happy Wife.

Would you, dear wife, rather cook the whole chicken we have in the freezer inside at 350f in the kitchen or would you rather I brine it that morning and beer can it that night? "That was really good last time... we should cook that outside."

You want that pork roast in the crock pot? I'm cool with that - (It's supposed to rain Wednesday)

Leftovers on Thursday - ok, we regularly have a variety meal of leftovers for dinner.

Friday is the start of the weekend - hot dogs/hamburgers Friday night - I got that covered.

That's more than fair. Over the weekend I'll ask her if she's in the mood for a long cook - I'll pick up some baby backs and we'll try that rub recipe I showed her from the BGE forum.  If not, I'll take her out and "date" my wife. She loves that....complete with me opening her car door and putting on nicer than normal clothes.  

If I buy some nice steaks, it's understood that's a direct cook - quick and easy and as long as I get her done-ness right (pink, 145f, rest until 150f) SWMBO is happy with being inside making salad and getting the mushrooms cut and sautéed. I wrap whole onions in foil with butter and S/P, and get those on a full 45 minutes before starting the steaks. 

This is getting bogged down in details, but the bottom line - I brought her into the conversation - gave her input on when I'm cooking outside, and when WE are cooking inside. I readily compromised on how often I cook outside. She gets to decide when we eat what and then there's no unpleasant surprises when I bring in a few pounds of smoky smelling dead animal she didn't want to eat but feels obligated to smile and say thanks.

She goes with me to our two local egg-fests, and she agrees it's 10x better than the Webber it replaced, but she won't use it herself. It's intimidating and she once saw it backlash on me, and smelled the burned hair on my arms and face - she stays away from it ever since. 

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I have a question. Did she ever even agree to you getting the egg in the first place?

Even with my 11 eggs the mrs still agrees with me wanting a bakers dozen and has no problem with me getting eggs or anything bbq related.

If she don't like something she don't eat it. Take fish she don't like it but we cough 70 lbs of King salmon we cough this year I solve that by making surf n turf that night she just don't eat the surf part.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,760
    Options
    every year for tday i cook one bird in the egg and one in the oven for the one that doesnt like smoked meat. then she eats the smoked turkey
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    You indicated that you and the wife spilt cooking duties. What kind of flavoring profiles does she use when she cooks? You might try to use some of the same flavoring profiles. A lot of us love southern BBQ but you can try other flavors. For example, I did a cuban style pork butt last night. My family also likes pork butt with a Bavarian style seasoning. You said she likes pork cooked in a slow cooker. What does she flavor it with?
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• GASGUY
    GASGUY Posts: 111
    Options
    Mostly great advice, again thanks for your input.
  • plumbfir01
    Options
    Give her the D......
    Take it how you want but either D would fix the problem :)
    Beaufort, SC
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,189
    Options
    My wife is also sensitive about flavor. When I do ribs, one rack gets salt and very light pepper. She will tolerate a bit of mild pecan smoke so we are good there. I let her sauce her own post cook.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa