Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First cook

Options

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    SGH said:
    In all seriousness brother Tex she seems like a very nice young lady. I would feel bad if she got injured and I had not at least tried to warn her of the known risk. That would be wrong on my part. Now she knows and can proceed at her own peril. Looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks brother Tex.

In all seriousness here too- what you said was extremely demeaning to someone who is obviously a very capable person. 3/4 of the dudes on here didn't build their own egg or do half the **** she did today. She does not need a heads up because she is a woman. She may need a heads up because she is new to cooking this way...just like any new dude who asked the same question.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • TifffanyD
    TifffanyD Posts: 119
    Options
    Would an adjustable rig replace the plate setter? Can still smoke and do pizza? Not sure what it actually is. I'll invest more money for more versatility
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    TifffanyD said:

Hah! So basically I should just buy a platesetter now since I will definitely want one later.

Why is that not included? :)

It's another thing they can money on parting out would be my guess. The Adjustable Rig is nice, but am getting fine with my plate setter just fine. You can do lot with the plate setter.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    i think she has a medium- they don't make an AR for that. It would be the woo or some other setup that Tom has for Med. If they make a PS woo for Med, that would a decent setup. Also, the grid extender we did as a group buy on here would be good too. buy that, a platesetter and a small grid and you will have multi levels, raised grid, swinging top grid...for $75 or under, it's a nice little set up.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited August 2014
    Options
    TifffanyD said:
    Would an adjustable rig replace the plate setter? Can still smoke and do pizza? Not sure what it actually is. I'll invest more money for more versatility

Yes, the adjustable rig offers greater versatility over a plate setter. You can see the types of cooks you can do with one here: http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/big-green-egg-large-adjustable-rig.html Click on the red "tabs" to see pics of the many set ups.

Welcome aboard!

Edit: Oops, just saw your Newby post and see you have a Medium Egg and not a large. There are fewer options for a Medium: http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/woo2-direct-or-indirect.html
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • TifffanyD
    Options
    Yes I have a medium. And I am very confused now lol
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    I also find it surprising that the plate setter isn't included but I guess it helps with the sticker shock for it to be an *accessory*.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    edited August 2014
    Options
    SGH said:
    In all seriousness brother Tex she seems like a very nice young lady. I would feel bad if she got injured and I had not at least tried to warn her of the known risk. That would be wrong on my part. Now she knows and can proceed at her own peril. Looking forward to meeting you in a few weeks brother Tex.

In all seriousness here too- what you said was extremely demeaning to someone who is obviously a very capable person. 3/4 of the dudes on here didn't build their own egg or do half the **** she did today. She does not need a heads up because she is a woman. She may need a heads up because she is new to cooking this way...just like any new dude who asked the same question.

Damnit Cen-Tex! I have to choose between liking your post or agreeing with it. I can't do both although it's deserved.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • TifffanyD
    Options
    I take it there aren't many females on here lol
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    TifffanyD said:

and now you know why :))
  • TifffanyD
    Options
    Lol Bless all y'all's hearts
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    TifffanyD said:

and now you know why :))

But there are some unbelievable females on here who can cook and work circles around most. We would love to have more...
  • TifffanyD
    Options
    So to recap. I should buy the platesetter or no?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother Tex I feel that you took my intent wrong. Just didn't want to see her get hurt is all. Nothing more.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TifffanyD
    Options
    I am good with it SGH. But you should warn dudes too. I can't think of anyone that wants hot projectile stones headed their way (deserves them... Maybe ;) )
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options
    I have a platesetter and a PSwoo in my large. I have a woo with crossbars and a pizza stone lays on the crossbars for indirect. If it were me I'd go with the Medium Woo and get a pizza stone with it.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• shtgunal3
    Options
    I never take the Woo's out of my eggs. The woo raises the cooking grate to gasket level.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• TifffanyD
    Options
    What is a woo?
  • shtgunal3
    Options

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Hi welcome   you dont have to buy all the toys at ounce get use to cooking with what you have then move on

Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • TifffanyD
    Options
    Lol right I know I don't need all the toys. But pizza is in my very near future
  • shtgunal3
    Options
    @cook861 I totally agree but in my opinion the Woo is invaluable.

• cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Im waiting for one of my co-workers to get a pizza pell for me .I know i dont need one but i want one  :D
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • TifffanyD
    Options
    So em woo is just for raising the grid?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @‌TiffanyD
    All I was trying to say is that it bothers me worse to see a female or a child get hurt. I certainly was not implying that being female limited your capabilities. This is the sad part of reading instead of hearing the spoken word. It's very easy to miss interpret. Again you asked a question about using bricks. That led me to believe that you were unaware of the danger. I took it upon myself to give you a honest answer to make you aware of the danger. If that makes me a sexiest then so be it. Sorry for the confusion. All I was trying to do was help.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• TifffanyD
    Options
    No harm, no foul. I was skeptical that normal bricks would work and you validated that :)
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    @TiffanyD a plate-setter and pizza stone work great together when cooking pizza. The woo ring raises your grate to the felt line for raised direct cooks. You can also lay the pizza stone on the lower crossbars of the woo ring for indirect.
    But for pizza, the stone on top of the plate-setter is best imo.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @TifffanyD‌ my setup for pizza is: plate setter legs down, four foil balls about 1" thick placed 12-3-6 and 9 o'clock (creates an air gap) then pizza stone on top of the foil balls. My pizzas turn out great at 550 cooked about ten minutes. There are a lot of guys using the woo and adjustable set ups but you can cook a ton of stuff with just the plate setter. You can even make your own raised grid pretty cheaply, just search DIY raised grid here on the forum. Oh and welcome to the forum!
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • TifffanyD
    Options
    Thanks! So I think plate setter and beer cans for now LOL