Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anova sous vide surprise

Options
njl
njl Posts: 1,123
I had big plans to try out my new Anova tonight and had no idea I didn't have a pot tall enough to accommodate it.  I had to improvise:

I think we're going to need a bigger pot.  But there was no time tonight...so I made this one work.

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    A good ol redneck fix to the problem I'd say.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    What, no duct tape?

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • njl
    Options
    Farbuck said:
    What, no duct tape?
    The foil cover doesn't need that tight a seal for a 2 hour cook, does it?

:)
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2014
    Options
    No it does not, evaporation will be minimal. 
    Make sure you have the MIN mark covered or you will burn out the heating element. 
    At my local grocery store I found a SS stock pot that was 30cm (12") across and 24cm (9-1/2")high. Perfect for the Anova. It was $11. I would not want to actually apply heat to the bottom, but for Trés Booblay it is just fine. 

Foil is your friend for longer "cooks". Nice ghetto fix with the pliers!
    =D>
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • njl
    Options
    Ghetto pliers too.  Just over 2hrs next to the pot with the water at 140F, the Harbor Freight pliers got a nice coating of surface rust.
  • Cymbaline65
    Options

I like it. +1 on making sure your water level is over the minimum.

@SkiddyMarker: I speak enough French to be dangerous. Trying to figure out the  Tres Booblay=Sous Vide. Please enlighten!

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @Cymbaline65 - just a localism that kinda stuck with me. Trés translating to the English word "very" and Booblay is the Francophone attempting the English word "bubbly". 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Cymbaline65
    Options
    @Cymbaline65 - just a localism that kinda stuck with me. Trés translating to the English word "very" and Booblay is the Francophone attempting the English word "bubbly". 
    I am now complete. Thank you.
    In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • njl
    Options
    I've got a better (I think) pot now.  I picked up a 20qt aluminum stock pot.  I wondered if maybe I'd gone too big?  It's nearly 11" deep.  I just checked Anova's web site, and this seems to be just about the max size (though i doubt it'd be filled to the top, so it should be fine for either the current or soon to be released slightly smaller version.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Boom

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • rsterman
    Options
    I have used ours thus far to prepare various types of steak to desired interior temps before searing, cooking various seafoods, preparing specialty vegetables, and making the best creme fraiche we have ever had......it works beautifully every time, and we love it.....
    Berlin, Maryland