Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

rib temperature gets too high

Options
msupt
msupt Posts: 2

I am new to the big green egg and have a scenario that needs some help.

I have done ribs a couple of time and although they taste great the temperature seems to increase as I am cooking. What the problems seems to be is that I am opening the lid to mop them a few times as well as opening to put the sauce on top. So when I open it up a large volume of air flows in which creates a larger flame and the temperature goes up. After doing this a few times the coals are too well lit to bring them back down other than totally shutting the airflow off.

Does anyone have techniques to help with this type of problem?

I use a DigiQ for the temperature/air flow monitoring. When I put on a pork shoulder it works great and keeps the temp right at 225 for me all day long, but it cannot seem to handle the influx of air when I am doing the ribs.

Thanks for any suggestions that you have.

Comments

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Turn the Q off before you open the lid. Turn it back on after the dome temp exceeds your set temp. Also, you don't have to open the lid much or mop the ribs when using a BGE.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    Make sure your open lid detect is turned on.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Only suggestion is stop mopping. Tho I've never tried it. Prolly never will
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,824
    Options
    It sounds like you figured out your own problem. IMHO there is no need to mop ribs in the BGE they stay moist with the lid closed. You are opening the lid to mop to keep them moist  but letting out all the trapped moisture every time you open it. I would only open it to sauce (if that's your preference) at the last 30 to 45 minutes.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • msupt
    msupt Posts: 2
    Options

Thanks for all the responses.

I have some good ideas and a good reason to smoke some ribs real soon.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

After reading a million threads I went with the simplest way I could find.  (3 young kids would rather play than watch me BBQ!)  I remove the silverskin, do a light coating of rub, and cook them indirect for about 4 hours at 250 (for babybacks).  Around 190 they pass the bend test.  If I'm ready to eat I glaze them towards the end of the cook with a mix of 50% water / 50% BBQ sauce.  If not, foil/towel/cooler until I'm ready, then glaze them closer to eating time.  No DigiQ, haven't seen the need for it for a daytime cook, the egg holds a stable temp so well.

Are they championship ribs? No.  Are they far better than any rib I've made on the gasser or weber kettle? Yep.  I think the work to result ratio is optimal.

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle