Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raccoon invasion. Morality question.

Options

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌ or in Comedy Central cuz this is gonna be Epic fing hilarious! :-P
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    I'm gone for 7 hours and still no dead coon?
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @eggcelsior - As long as Travis and I are on this planet, you should buy stock in Evan Williams.
    Options
    tkleager said:

I'm gone for 7 hours and still no dead coon?

I know right? Pu$$y cats. ;-). I catch and release these guys. Easy peezy to trap. Maybe they're in the French Quarter getting their drink on before they crash your pad @nolaegghead‌ :-D
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    @eggcelsior - As long as Travis and I are on this planet, you should buy stock in Evan Williams.
    I like the green and nola likes the black. 

It's cheap and its good. Two of my favorite things. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I think these little bastards have been caught before and we're just the last neighborhood they've been dumped.   Would explain why they disappeared when the traps came out.
    Options
    I think these little bastards have been caught before and we're just the last neighborhood they've been dumped.   Would explain why they disappeared when the traps came out.
    I was thinking the same thing, they've seen those wire boxes before and know what they are all about.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    DMW said:
    I was thinking the same thing, they've seen those wire boxes before and know what they are all about.
    If that's the case, I should just hang a few traps in my back yard and problem solved.  Coon-B-Gone
    Options
    DMW said:
    If that's the case, I should just hang a few traps in my back yard and problem solved.  Coon-B-Gone
    I'll bet if you leave the traps in the same place they'll figure out how to maneuver around them. Those things are too smart for their own good. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    SWMBO is on her way home from work, just talked to her.  She's picking up some Marshmallows for bait.  Word on the street and the dark underground world of raccoons is MARSHMALLOW IS COON CRACK.   So we'll see what happens on night two.  Night three may turn violent.
    Options
    Waiting for the PETA approved mayhem and bloodshed to begin... No cooking tonight, rain and finally getting to sit down.

Enjoying a fruit salad... Well actually it's a couple of Titos soaked oranges slices.
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2014
    Options

SWMBO is on her way home from work, just talked to her.  She's picking up some Marshmallows for bait.  Word on the street and the dark underground world of raccoons is MARSHMALLOW IS COON CRACK.   So we'll see what happens on night two.  Night three may turn violent.

They love the rock.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Back when my wife was doing grad school we rented a house in the country. I had two of those Rubbermaid trash cans with the snap on lids. Raccoons figured out how to open them. So I made a cage out of 2x2s and chicken wire. They just lifted the lid. So I put a latch on it (one of those slide latches) damn if they didn't open that.

After I watched them do it myself (at first I thought my wife was messing with me) I sat out there one night and quietly drank with Mr. Browning.

I won that night.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Jeremiah said:

Back when my wife was doing grad school we rented a house in the country. I had two of those Rubbermaid trash cans with the snap on lids. Raccoons figured out how to open them. So I made a cage out of 2x2s and chicken wire. They just lifted the lid. So I put a latch on it (one of those slide latches) damn if they didn't open that.

After I watched them do it myself (at first I thought my wife was messing with me) I sat out there one night and quietly drank with Mr. Browning.

I won that night.

Why not with Mr. Crowley? ;-)

Ozzy Osbourne - Mr. Crowley: http://youtu.be/pdlS7tab5rQ

Ozzy with the Great Randy Rhoads!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    It may have the distance. It may be outa here!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    It's like a slow news day.
    Options
    It's high...it's deep...I think it may be gone

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    DAMMIT!  The little bastardges were in the kitchen and out and I didn't even hear them because I'm typing on a thread about catching them!  F*CK ME. Water everywhere.
    Options
    And meanwhile while @nolaegghead‌ sleeps ..
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    DAMMIT!  The little bastardges were in the kitchen and out and I didn't even hear them because I'm typing on a thread about catching them!  F*CK ME. Water everywhere.
    That sucks. You need a laptop/tablet/smartphone.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Little Steven
    Options
    When I had to do it we punched holes in the top of a tuna can. Caught a bunch

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I know.  I know.  Marshmallows are here.  I'M GONNA CATCH YOU FURRY F-ERS!!!
    Options
    Raccoons to @nolaegghead‌
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Maybe Canuck coons prefer savoury?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    (*FIST SHAKE*)
    Options
    I tried savory yesterday.  Tuna, canned, plus some fish sauce around the cage.
    Options
    Raccoons giggling. You won't catch me Nola. Go back to calculating algorithms. >:)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014