Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raccoon invasion. Morality question.

Options

Comments

• MJLivingston
    Options
    @nolaegghead I trap coons and beavers a lot sometimes around houses and barns with coons they like fish and sweet stuff. I find with the sweet things like marshmallows and honey buns I catch a lot less cats than with fishy things. Put a few in the back of the cage and block the sides so they can't come around and try to reach it through the sides. And be careful transporting in my home state it is illegal. Some people don't want to see them harmed just relocated I try too when I can just try to be sneaky about it. Good luck and be safe.
    Lexington TN
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL - Ya, they're an invasive species.  We have some of those problems.  The Nutria were introduced into Louisiana for fur.  Same old story - some escaped into the wild, they bred, and now they're responsible for a large amount of wetland erosion.  The state has a bounty on them, and I've personally done my share to help control them via .22 long and a scope.   Another problem we have is feral pigs.
    Options
    @nolaegghead I trap coons and beavers a lot sometimes around houses and barns with coons they like fish and sweet stuff. I find with the sweet things like marshmallows and honey buns I catch a lot less cats than with fishy things. Put a few in the back of the cage and block the sides so they can't come around and try to reach it through the sides. And be careful transporting in my home state it is illegal. Some people don't want to see them harmed just relocated I try too when I can just try to be sneaky about it. Good luck and be safe.
    @MJLivingston - thanks, that's good info.  I'm about to load up the traps.  I was thinking about using canned tuna.  Good info, I'll block the sides.  Our cats will be inside, but there are a few neighborhood cats that I'm sure will be inevitably captured.
    Options
    jllbms said:
    There are some topics that are generally considered off limits for joking. For example, "rape jokes" are deplored universally. I put animal abuse in that category, but that's just me. "Trespassing", a cat? Are you really serious? Or was that more humor?
    Personally, I hate finding cat poop in my yard.  so yes, cat's trespass and do despicable things.  I bet you don't want me leaving a long brown one in your flower garden.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    A bonus?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Hilarious - Christopher Walken is on the Daily show talking about raccoons coming in his cat door.  I'm super serial.
    edited June 2014
    Options
    My absolute favorite skit with him on SNL has got to be Need More Cow Bell! He's money in all his acting.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    The Continental is also good.

And this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQ7z57qrZU8&feature=kp
    Options
    I prefer the "3 S" method.......SHOOT, SHOVEL, and SHUT-UP.....
    GWN
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Didn't think you Canucks had guns. :)) JK
    Great White North: Beer Nog: http://youtu.be/w1RN3cYnY9k
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Thinking of Walken, did you see Jon Stewart tonight? Walken was talking about racoons coming into his house through the cat door - you are in good company. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Skiddymarker‌ :)) you must have missed this»»»

Hilarious - Christopher Walken is on the Daily show talking about raccoons coming in his cat door.  I'm super serial.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    First world problems, man I'm glad I have them.   Could be worse like, I don't have any drinking water unless I walk for 2 miles and carry it back.
    edited June 2014
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I'm bitching about raccoons coming in my cat door.

And not this:

More than 2.2 million people died in 2000 from waterborne diseases (related to the consumption of contaminated water) or drought. In 2004, the UK charity WaterAid reported that a child dies every 15 seconds from easily preventable water-related diseases; often this means lack of sewage disposal
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ that's way too deep for my current state. 18hr day and adult beverage (s). Just winding down before tomorrow's (well its 1:37am so I guess today's) adventure begins. But, yes you're absolutely right. Some problems seem very miniscule once you look at catastrophic events around the globe. I guess at least you don't have Jihadist sneaking through your cat door. :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ The real question here is. Did ya catch one of those pesky rascals yet? Pics or it didn't happen. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    No Jihadists or any other supernatural charged zealots.  Anyone getting into my back yard had to do a lot of work to get there (that's where the cat door goes)  I hold people to a higher standard than animals.  If a person comes through the cat door uninvited, they'll be greeted by a 12-gauge shotgun with very fine birdshot. 
    Options
    Nope, just checked the traps for the third time.  I put canned tuna in each one, and sprinkled a little fish sauce.  These little shits are either off raiding someone else or they're just too smart for me.

I will take pictures if I catch any 'coons.
    Options
    Try the sweet stuff also like @MJLivingston‌ suggested. I've caught them with the real small cans of soft cat food, a few marshmallows, left over scraps, etc. Like ya said they are opportunistic.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    And make sure to anchor the bait. They are smart lil buggers. They'll reach in, move it to the trap entry door and snag it and laugh their a$$ off while doing so.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Thanks, good advice.  Probably need to pick up some marshmallows.  I don't stock those in the pantry, more of a savory kind of guy.

Here's the squirrel I caught earlier.  Psycho squirrel was going berserk, running into the sides of the trap.  Yep, trap works.

Options
    Also gives ya an excuse to make some Smores on the egg ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Shortly after letting the squirrel out, I caught the Hemmingway cat in the picture in the same trap.  He was probably smelling the squirrel and tripped it.  I found him laying in it upside down meowing, opened the door and he didn't want to come out.  Little freak.
    Options
    Nuffin' in the traps.  I'll check in the morn'.  They're so smart, I might just leave a trap out and if that wards them off, problem solved.
    Options
    Catch in the trap and give him some swimming lessons. I must not be a very good teacher as I haven't had one learn yet. Maybe I should take
    jllbms said:

There are some topics that are generally considered off limits for joking. For example, "rape jokes" are deplored universally. I put animal abuse in that category, but that's just me.

"Trespassing", a cat? Are you really serious? Or was that more humor?

Lighten up Francis
    Greensboro, NC
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Well said @nolaegghead‌ concerning 1st world problems. Pretty much this whole forum fits into that genre; e.g. My Egg has underbite (been there).
    Kemah, TX
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @henapple - Nigeria is Africa's super power.  The most populous nation, the largest economy, oil rich.  They supply a significant amount of oil to the US (I think around 10%).  They're a developing nation, but with problems that you or I would not be happy with.  Blackberrys?  Silliously?

Nigeria can only be classified as a third world country for the following reasons.

1.  Mains electricity supplies are erratic or non-existent in most parts of the country.

2.  There has never been provision for any form of social security, unemployment or retirement benefits to most Nigerian citizens.

3.  The streets are strewn with mountains of trash in most major Nigerian cities as municipal trash collection is effectively non-existent.

4.  It is possible to break the law and sometimes even get away with murder simply by bribing the Nigerian Police.

5.  The innocent often wind up in jail or get summarily shot for failure to bribe Nigerian policemen. 

6.  Armed robbers very commonly lay siege on residential neigborhoods FOR HOURS AT A TIME in many Nigerian cities, without police response.

7.  Federal and state highways in Nigeria are pock-marked with massive craters that constitute death traps to motorists.

8.  Nigerian state-run hospitals are under-funded, under-staffed, housed in run-down buildings and lacking both equipment and reliably safe pharmaceutical drugs.

9.  Dead bodies are a common sight on the streets in metropolitan areas as well as in plain view along major highways.

10.  Vehicle safety codes in Nigeria are non-existent, and vehicle smog emmission controls entirely unheard of in Nigeria.

11. In Lagos, Nigeria's commercial hub, there exist TODAY pedestrian over-head bridges in such disrepair as to have rotted clear through, leaving gaping holes through which unwary pedestrians do regularly fall 50 feet into traffic below.

12. The number of Nigerian metropolitan areas that are served by a centralized drinking water supply can be counted on the fingers of one hand.