Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raccoon invasion. Morality question.

Options

Comments

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    @henapple‌ That animal that you shoot may be somebody's beloved pet. I don't know if you or anybody else are "joking" - it's not very amusing. If you're serious, then there's a lot more serious problem. Some scumbag shot one of my cats years ago, and he lost a leg.
    Kemah, TX
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    It's threads like this one that keeps me coming back to this forum. Just when I'm tired of it-- roped back in. Keep it coming!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    Remind me not to move next door to @travisstrick‌. My two girls like roaming next door and checking out the lizard and mice population over there. But they do not like any ruffians coming on this side of the fence.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited June 2014
    Options

Prolly pretty good boiled with Allegro hot and onions . =)) Just playin

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    jllbms said:
    @henapple‌ That animal that you shoot may be somebody's beloved pet. I don't know if you or anybody else are "joking" - it's not very amusing. If you're serious, then there's a lot more serious problem. Some scumbag shot one of my cats years ago, and he lost a leg.
    I wonder if your cat was trespassing on someone else's property. 

I was joking and it is funny. I found that cat skull by the river. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    henapple said:
    @travisstrick‌. ..you got flagged for the cat joke. I hate cats. If an animal is on your property why not shoot it. @RRP‌. ..you're in Illinois, @nolaegghead‌ is in Louisiana. ..trust me, the same rules don't apply.
    And dogs, different rules?

Options
    There are some topics that are generally considered off limits for joking. For example, "rape jokes" are deplored universally. I put animal abuse in that category, but that's just me. "Trespassing", a cat? Are you really serious? Or was that more humor?
    Kemah, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    Options
    nolan8v said:

NPHuskerFL,

Re: I actually had to break down and pay a pro to trap them and
    shortly after did it myself after I saw the trick of trapping them.

I’m
    having current issues with them as well.

What’s
    the trick of trapping them?

& @nolaegghead‌ to catch/trap armadillos you set up the trap or traps in a area you know they are frequenting. I set up 3 when I had the issue. (2) 2x6s or 2x8 etc (I had 15-20ft lengths) and then anchor each of them to where it is a wide funnel to the trap. This causes the armadillos to basically just walk into the trap. They are a lazy creature and take the path of least resistance. Bait does not attract nor does it help. I always handled the traps with gloves so I didn't leave human scent. Also anchor the trap and set the trigger to almost a hair trigger. I set two side by side one one direction one in another direction. And you can't just set it up in the middle of the yard you want it near fencing or structure this is the reason for the boards they just bump back and forth till whammy! Busted!
    Oh ya and it is complete BS waist of time and $$$ to lay "real moth balls" or "snake away". I did around our entire property. The only thing it drove away is us. Didn't even phase the snakes and definitely not the dillos!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Eggcelsior‌ so that's how you trap yours huh? =)) TMI dude. Lol
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,901
    Options
    henapple said:
    @travisstrick‌. ..you got flagged for the cat joke. I hate cats. If an animal is on your property why not shoot it. @RRP‌. ..you're in Illinois, @nolaegghead‌ is in Louisiana. ..trust me, the same rules don't apply.

I fully realize that and offered that as an explanation that some states, locations, etc are different! Hell, in some parts of the country some people would have strung up the "lady" by her ears for encouraging these things by feeding them!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    Options

henapple said:
    People love their pets.  Killing something people love is pretty heinous.  I hope you're kidding Tony.

If someone killed any of our cats, first of all I'd suspect them of being a budding serial killer, secondly, I will work hard and diligently to make sure the rest of their life is complete fuckin' misery.  
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ I misread and thought you said dildos. You really need to be careful of them. They seem harmless but one wrong move and you sit on one.
    That's what everyone getting stuff pulled out of their butt says in the emergency room.

Edit: adding emoticon to lighten things up.  ;)
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ I misread and thought you said dildos. You really need to be careful of them. They seem harmless but one wrong move and you sit on one.
    That's what everyone getting stuff pulled out of their butt says in the emergency room.

I thought the cat glitter would have done that. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Come on in Rocky...I won't hurt you.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Did that explanation help @nolan8v‌ & @nolaegghead‌?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @NPHuskersFL - Good info man...I was thinking more of raccoons, don't have an arma-dildo problem ;)
    Options

@NPHuskersFL - Good info man...I was thinking more of raccoons, don't have an arma-dildo problem ;)

Well that's good to know. Not sure if the advice from @NPHuskerFL‌ would help with an arma-dildo infestation...
    :-?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    Options

I thought the cat glitter would have done that. 
    The cat glitter WAS AWESOME. 
    Options
    They have no conscience.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ hellz bellz! Coons are lazy looking for a hand out. Little soft cat food anchored down and that cute masked coon is gonna trap himself. Like I said I relocate them. But, recommend you relocate at least 7+miles away or to an uninhabited area. I let em go 15or so miles away in a wildlife refuge area.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    NPHuskerFL,

Thanks for that info. I do plan to try it tomorrow afternoon. Hopefully, I will have success.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2014
    Options
    DMW said:

Well that's good to know. Not sure if the advice from @NPHuskerFL‌ would help with an arma-dildo infestation...
    It was the ONLY thing that got rid of our Dillo infestation. Like I said those lil bastards can destroy 1/4 to 1/2 acre overnight. They virtually destroyed 3/4 or more of our 1.25-1.5 acre lot before I caught every last one. The biggest thing is patience and leave the trap set in the same spot for several days. Once you find the sweet spot and begin catching them you'll continue catching them. It took us close to one and half months to get rid of all of them. It works.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

DMW said:

It was the ONLY thing that got rid of our Dillo infestation. Like I said those lil bastards can destroy 1/4 to 1/2 acre overnight. They virtually destroyed 3/4 or more before I caught every last one. The biggest thing is patience and leave the trap set in the same spot for several days. Once you find the sweet spot and begin catching them you'll continue catching them. It took us close to one and half months to get rid of all of them. It works.
    I have no doubt it is sound advice for dealing with armadillos, just not sure it would would for arma-dildos. :))
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @dmw not sure. :-?
    @Eggcelsior‌ seems to have a nack for knowing how to trap them. Not me my friend. >:)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Coons are hunter gatherers.  Like most hunter gatherers, businessmen, and animals that aren't dead or in a coma, they're opportunistic   Unfortunate that's at the expense of the sanctity of my castle.  Little creatures goin' for a road trip.  
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ Believe it or not it is illegal in FL to relocate an armadillo because although they are everywhere now they are not native to FL. So it "IS" legal to trap and dispose of them in a humane fashion. Coons I relocate.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014