Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you drinking....now?

Options

Comments

• Ragingirishman2
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Wanted a whiskey, took a flyer on this.  If I had wanted a scotch it would have been okay (not good, but passable) but really missing the whiskey notes I like.  Definitely a pass for me. 

Almost the entire Japanese whiskey offering  tastes like scotch to me. Drinkable, but not a fan of it honestly 
    Good to know this is just their "style".  Will avoid it all from now on.
    The color of a whiskey can tell you a lot about it. At a minimum it holds many clues. You will search far and wide to find a whiskey that color that was in a new charred oak barrel. Additionally, some of the really dark ones are very likely extra aged and or finished with some variation of wine barrel. Japanese whiskey is scotch but since it’s not distilled in Scotland it cannot be called scotch. 🥃
    I consume far more bourbon and Irish than I do scotch. @pgprescott makes a good comment about color but you have to be cautious with scotch and American whiskies because they can add artificial coloring. 
    XL BGE
    Plainfield, IL.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Wanted a whiskey, took a flyer on this.  If I had wanted a scotch it would have been okay (not good, but passable) but really missing the whiskey notes I like.  Definitely a pass for me. 

Almost the entire Japanese whiskey offering  tastes like scotch to me. Drinkable, but not a fan of it honestly 
    Good to know this is just their "style".  Will avoid it all from now on.
    The color of a whiskey can tell you a lot about it. At a minimum it holds many clues. You will search far and wide to find a whiskey that color that was in a new charred oak barrel. Additionally, some of the really dark ones are very likely extra aged and or finished with some variation of wine barrel. Japanese whiskey is scotch but since it’s not distilled in Scotland it cannot be called scotch. 🥃
    I consume far more bourbon and Irish than I do scotch. @pgprescott makes a good comment about color but you have to be cautious with scotch and American whiskies because they can add artificial coloring. 
    That’s correct! In fact, one of my favorite brands, Dalmore, gets dragged for it. Most don’t add color. 👍🏻🥃
  • TechsasJim
    TechsasJim Posts: 1,909
    Options
    bbracey21 said:

Someone mentioned previously Four Roses single barrel as one of the best bottles under $50. While I do not disagree this bottle is another. Probably 1A & 1B on my list (insert either as A or B)
    Problem with Eagle Rare is it’s very difficult to come by in my area. Very rarely do I see it on the shelves anymore.
    I posted recently about 4R but when it comes to ER I’m not a fan. Only had 1 bottle but it was hotter than Hades to me.    Albeit that’s back when it was $22, now it’s like $45.  SMH 
    LBGE, 28” BS, Weber Kettle, HCI 7.8 SE Texas
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,526
    edited June 2023
    Options
    Wading in here-Four Roses Single Barrel is a great pour for the price.  I find Eagle Rare to be even better at around $45 when you can find it. Recent hunting trips (w/o rifles or ammo) have greatly upped my ER stock in hand.
    Edit as I failed my daily driver-Buffalo Trace. 
    Now, if you are looking to go under $25- Old Forester 100 is at the top of my list. 
    All bourbon tastes are personal so branch out and if you don't like it-cook with it in some fashion B).
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Legume said:
    I've seen mason jars and fancy bottles of all sorts, but is anybody putting whiskey in squirt bottles yet?  The market seems ripe for it, most of it has been thinned already.

I had a barber that did this with his water bottle.  
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,462
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    Legume said:
    I've seen mason jars and fancy bottles of all sorts, but is anybody putting whiskey in squirt bottles yet?  The market seems ripe for it, most of it has been thinned already.

I had a barber that did this with his water bottle.  
    My barber uses an old William Larue Weller pint bottle. 
  • TechsasJim
    Options

• ColbyLang
    Options

Too hot in Louisiana to be sitting outside, regardless of the pour. Hope you got a fan blowing on ya in Techsas
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    ColbyLang said:

Too hot in Louisiana to be sitting outside, regardless of the pour. Hope you got a fan blowing on ya in Techsas
    It’s not too bad here man.  Yeah, warm but have a blower fan working.   If I’m drinking bourbon I’m comfortable.    79 on the course today.   Going for 75 tomorrow bud 
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Postgame celebrations
    Las Vegas, NV

• ColbyLang
    Options
    ColbyLang said:

It’s not too bad here man.  Yeah, warm but have a blower fan working.   If I’m drinking bourbon I’m comfortable.    79 on the course today.   Going for 75 tomorrow bud 
    Well, did we shoot a 75?
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:

Well, did we shoot a 75?
    lmao, sadly no.    Poured down rain, lost interest and just kinda drove around and swung a few times.    
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    ColbyLang said:

Well, did we shoot a 75?
    lmao, sadly no.    Poured down rain, lost interest and just kinda drove around and swung a few times.    
    We missed the rain. Shot 86 in the blistering heat. Triple bogey on 17 don’t help anything! 
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    @ColbyLang
    It's funny how bad triples can kill an entire score card.    My Friday round ruined a nice card with a triple.    Golf is maddening...
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,201
    Options
    @ColbyLang
    It's funny how bad triples can kill an entire score card.    My Friday round ruined a niccard with a triple.    Golf is maddening...
    I golf a 165 and bowl a 72.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    @ColbyLang
    It's funny how bad triples can kill an entire score card.    My Friday round ruined a niccard with a triple.    Golf is maddening...
    But do you have fun?    At my age I prefer fun over end results (yet end results can be frustrating--and we pay for it).    
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,201
    Options
    @ColbyLang
    But do you have fun?    At my age I prefer fun over end results (yet end results can be frustrating--and we pay for it).    
    I used to, then the guys I golfed with starting betting on every hole and every stroke.  I stopped golfing.  Sold all my clubs and moved on.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • TechsasJim
    Options
    @ColbyLang
    I used to, then the guys I golfed with starting betting on every hole and every stroke.  I stopped golfing.  Sold all my clubs and moved on.
    I can fully understand that.  When I play I usually have 3-4 bets going.   It gets to be too much sometimes.  
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    @ColbyLang
    I can fully understand that.  When I play I usually have 3-4 bets going.   It gets to be too much sometimes.  
    $1 skins. $3 closest to the hole par 3’s and $5 birdies. 2 tie all tie. Rains, all bets cancel if we don’t finish. Adds up if you playing with a 4 some. Ain’t looking to bankrupt my buddies.

back to drinking! Bourbon group meets tomorrow night. Should be an interesting spread, we have a new guy coming as a guest. I’ll be sure to post pics
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,526
    Options
    That is a very high quality gift bag right there.  I'm sure the challenge (at least here in the relative epicenter of bourbon) to acquire such treasures will not be lost. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,674
    Options

Options
    Codigo Ranch Water.  It’s so dad gum hot and humid down here I needed something refreshing.   

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,372
    Options
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    6000 year old Egyptian wheat and an MSRP of $499……..hahahahahaha