Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(Award Winning) Smoked Brisket Chili Served at Salado After Party 2014

Options
1235»

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    wps456 said:
    This is my first time to see this thread and the recipe sounds awesome but I'm a little confused...what's this "leftover brisket" that y'all speak of? We never seem to have any around here!!
    I'll be ordering these seasonings you mentioned before long, thanks for sharing the recipe!!
    As far as "leftover brisket"???......well.......we live in TEXAS! We are blessed with an abundance of brisket :wink: The recipe came from lots of leftover brisket while learning how to cook brisket when we were greenhorns. Now, we cook brisket just to make the chili!

I hope you try the recipe and enjoy it! :smile:
    The truth is: once people try this recipe, they DO start making brisket just to make the chili.  That’s all anyone really needs to know.  It is that good!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,430
    Options
    I'll second @JohnInCarolina

If I'm making brisket for a meal, I'll sometimes make 2 just to ensure I have chili ingredients. 

Also, as you practice brisket.... the mistakes usually are just fine in chilli.  This recipe is awesome! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    wps456 said:
    This is my first time to see this thread and the recipe sounds awesome but I'm a little confused...what's this "leftover brisket" that y'all speak of? We never seem to have any around here!!
    I'll be ordering these seasonings you mentioned before long, thanks for sharing the recipe!!
    As far as "leftover brisket"???......well.......we live in TEXAS! We are blessed with an abundance of brisket :wink: The recipe came from lots of leftover brisket while learning how to cook brisket when we were greenhorns. Now, we cook brisket just to make the chili!

I hope you try the recipe and enjoy it! :smile:
    The truth is: once people try this recipe, they DO start making brisket just to make the chili.  That’s all anyone really needs to know.  It is that good!
    I now cook brisket just for chili, because of this recipe, but now my chili recipe has evolved that it looks almost nothing like this one.

It's what started it, though (and I just smoke the point for chili and grind up the flat for burgers or whatever).  Last time, I ran out of vacuum seal bags, so I had about 1.5 pounds of ground flat, so I added that to the smoked and cubed point in the chili and it came out fantastic.
    NOLA
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    I’ve made this several times, always a big hit.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    Brisket tacos must be really good too. 

Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    Brisket tacos must be really good too. 

Yes! We also love to take brisket and cut it into 1/4-1/2" cubes. We then saute this (maybe in bacon grease??? haha) with diced onions. This is great on regular tacos or breakfast tacos, with any combination of egg/potato/cheese!! Same mixture is also good on a bun!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • mgoblue0484
    mgoblue0484 Posts: 148
    Options
    Smoked a 5lb flat, I know the recipe only called for 2 1/2 lbs, but I put whole dang thing in. Loved the recipe and will definitely make again. I won our neighborhood's inaugural chili cook off. Thank you for sharing. 

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    So I made a double batch of this today using the entire 12.2 lb (prior to trimming) Costco Prime that I smoked last weekend. Currently sitting in 2big crock pots on the counter simmering away.

I did add a Masa slurry to thicken it up some. I had a sample bowl for lunch - very tasty. Looking forward to tomorrow, chili is always better after at least a day in the fridge for the flavors to marry. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • NewfoundEgger
    Options
    Wish me luck!  Cul-de-sac chili cook off this evening… I used a 2.8 prime flat for the brisket. First time I’ve ever cooked a flat, rather than a full packer.  It turned out pretty good.  A silent tear rolled down my cheek as I dumped it in the chili pot.  Hopefully the chili is worth it!
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I made some of this over the weekend:

Always a crowd pleaser.  So so good.
  • NewfoundEgger
    Options
    The chili turned out great, but I didn’t even crack the top 3 out of 14 teams 😞…. Who knew my neighbors had such bad taste? 😆
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    The chili turned out great, but I didn’t even crack the top 3 out of 14 teams 😞…. Who knew my neighbors had such bad taste? 😆
    I suggest moving!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,495
    Options
    The last org I worked for before retiring had a chili cookoff/fundraiser; bring in a crock of your best chili (I brought in brisket chili), invite the whole org to pass thru and buy small bowls for $3, everyone votes, winner gets bragging rights.  At the end of the event I walked thru and it looked like two bowls' worth were taken out of my crock. I had one and paid for it; and I ended up getting one vote (not me).  Two days of effort and $40 of ingredients, to raise $6 for my organization.  
    Even worse, at the end of the workday I went down to the conf room to grab my crockpot, learned they were all moved to another room and left unplugged, so the rest of the chili had to be tossed.  
    That was my last chili cookoff.  Ever.   :|  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...