Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(Award Winning) Smoked Brisket Chili Served at Salado After Party 2014

Comments

• @NDG:  Sorry, I just now saw your question.  Yes, equal parts of vegetable bouillon cubes and chicken should work.  The product I use is also 1 teaspoon makes 1 cup of broth.  Just so you'll recognize it if you see it:  https://www.amazon.com/Knorr-Tomato-Boullion-Chicken-Flavor/dp/B0000GHEEY/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1480878158&sr=8-1&keywords=knorr+chicken+tomato
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    That what I ended up doing . . . thanks
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Making this now- perfect weather for chili. Cold and damp- 

Greensboro, NC
  • 1WVU
    1WVU Posts: 160
    Made this today.  Definitely a hit!  Only variation was red kidney beans instead of pinto beans. Thanks for the recipe!
    Roanoke, VA
    Large BGE Owner
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,427
    As a follow up. This chili was awesome.  We had a party where 50 were invited and we were providing most of the food.   We had a big stock pot of this brisket chili and two pots of white chicken chili.  After the party we were scraping the bottom of the brisket chili pot and it looked like only a few people had the chicken chili.  Almost two full pots went back in the fridge. 

Thanks for the recipe!

Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    I've never cooked a brisket but this looks so good. If I ever get the nerve to try one, I'm going to make this chili!
    This is the perfect thing to queue up for your first brisket cook - your brisket doesn't have to be good to make chili with - fixes lots of mistakes.  
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    I made this chili earlier this winter and won a chili cook off at work hands down. It is awesome! I need to smoke another brisket soon! Just a heads up for anyone trying to find the Knorr's tomato bouillon with chicken flavor - it was not with the other bouillons and soup in my grocery store but rather in the Hispanic foods section. 
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • @EggObsessed - just wanted to say thank you for sharing your recipe and tips. Made this for my crew at work and they were blown away. Lucky I saved a quart for myself at home!
    MN - Large Egg - Just getting started
  • Thanks so much, @dacolson.  So glad to hear it was a hit!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    I will say, my home does not have a lot of Chili fans besides me. 
    Until they tried chili from this recipe.
    Now everyone is on me to cook brisket, and make chili with the leftovers, every week.
    Bottom line, I am appreciative of this formula, it is the best I have ever made, and I will eat this chili, any season, any weather.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • @YukonRon, so glad the recipe made chili converts out of your family.  Enjoy!
    Kelley 
  • MCRyan
    MCRyan Posts: 167
    FYI - getting started on this right now and found the powdered tomato boullion on the Mexican food isle of a Kroger grocery store.   Can't wait to use the "so so" choice grade brisky I have from Friday nights cook in this stuff.  
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    @MCRyan   You won't be disappointed!  Made this for the 5th or 6th time  yesterday....
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    awwww....@smbishop, that makes me so happy!
    Kelley 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    @EggObsessed We keep a stockpile in the freeze, it is my 10 year old daughter's favorite meal.  :)  Thanks again for sharing your amazing chili!

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • MCRyan
    MCRyan Posts: 167
    @EggObsessed  hands down the best chili I have ever had!  Everyone else who ate it last night agreed.  Fun to prep and cook; especially with such a fantastic result.  

Thank you so much for this recipe.  I am craving it as I write this!!!  Thank god for left overs.  
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • EggObsessed
    So glad you and your guests enjoyed it, @MCRyan!  My pleasure to share the recipe!
    Kelley 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Here's my latest batch of this heaven in a pot! I "accidentally" added an extra pound of brisket so this batch ended up a little thick. Also, I ordered the Pendery's chili powder that the original recipe calls for. Previously, I used whatever I had in the spice rack. The Pendery's provides a much more complex flavor to this chili than your standard chili powder. If you've been on the fence about ordering it, I would highly recommend it.

L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • EggObsessed
    @minniemoh:  So glad you took the plunge and ordered the Penderey's.  We tried lots of different chili powder and this one really stood out in the crowd.
    Kelley 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    edited March 2017
    @EggObsessed - I just had another bowl for lunch today. SO GOOD! I simply cannot imagine a chili recipe that beats this. It seems like a lot of chili powder but if you're using the Penderey's the recipe calls for, it so balanced and not overly spicy/hot.

It's great right out of the pot but it just comes together so nicely after a couple of days in the fridge. If I were making it for a cook-off, I would definitely make it a few days ahead. I know I've said this before but thanks again for sharing this with us!
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Gonna be making another batch of this on Sunday.  Can't wait.  Thanks again for the recipe!!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• @YEMTrey, so glad you enjoy it!  It's getting to be "that time of year"!
    Kelley 
  • da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Didn't use Penderey's as I decided to make this at the last minute so no time to order and also had to improvise the on the tomato bullion. Added some green pepper from the garden to the veg sauté and some chopped tomatoes from the garden with the other liquids. Smells amazing!

Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • Made this Chili to go with my Smoked Brisket Sliders at the local "Taste" and won "Best Overall."  I stuck to the recipe pretty close except for substituting tomato soup for V8 (forgot to buy) and I used a standard chili powder (2 different store brands mixed).

I am in South Carolina so this was something new to many attendees - and they LOVED IT!!! Already had request to prepare for people for upcoming parties.

• SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    edited October 2017
    Just made it as I saved some of the flat from a brisket cook this last weekend.    Very good!  I can’t seem to ever just stick to a recipe though.  

I added some ground chuck, couldn’t find the tomato boullion with chicken flavor so just used chicken boullion and added 1 chipotle pepper with some adobo sauce.  Left out the diced tomatoes as my kids don’t like the chunks.  Served with a dollop of sour cream, shredded sharp cheddar, and fresh cilantro.  Will make this again for sure!
    XL BGE
  • Won my first chili cook off with this recipe. People literally freaked out over it. Terrific.
    many thanks!

LBGE, MM, KABs

Fort Worth, TX

If it's worth doing, do it low and slow.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    edited December 2018
    Bump for those that haven’t made this one yet- outstanding and perfect for this time of year. 

Greensboro, NC
  • I recently made this for a work chili cook off,  except I used 4 lbs of ground beef instead of brisket.  I cooked at °300 for about 6 hours of total cook time. I also smoked the ground beef on top of the other ingredients then broke it up into pieces and mixed it all together. Out of 7 entries mine got the most votes.
  • chadpsualum
    chadpsualum Posts: 409
    edited December 2018
    I used this recipe for our neighborhood chili cook off and took 1st. Added in a Poblano and Serrano but otherwise followed the recipe as is. Good stuff. 
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Won my first chili cook off with this recipe. People literally freaked out over it. Terrific.
    many thanks!

Entered another contest with this recipe, and took first place. @EggObsessed you made a lot of people happy!
    LBGE, MM, KABs

Fort Worth, TX

If it's worth doing, do it low and slow.