Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Fries Quatro Queso Dos Fritos

jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,528
edited December 2013 in EggHead Forum
If you have ever watched the show Psych then you may have heard of these.  Wife is having a "Psych Party" tomorrow so we tested them out today.  It is from episode 3-14 in case you want to check it out on Netflix. I found a recipe via a google search and I must say, they are very good; although they don't travel well(inside joke)...

Peal or not, I tried it both ways:
Deep fry for about 10 min depending on size of potato, you want it almost done:

Let cool. Cut top off and hollow out, stuff with cheese(preferably a four cheese blend, hence the Quatro Queso).  Replace top:
Coat in a beer batter, fry again (hence the Dos Fritos) for 1-2 minutes, coat again for extra crispiness (if desired) and fry for another minute or two till golden:

Serve with sour cream mixed with ancho chillie powder, crumbled bacon and cayenne pepper(optional but good). 
These things are pretty tasty and very unhealthy so anyways...just thought I'd share:D
In Manchester, TN
Vol For Life!

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 14,013
    What sorcery is this!
  • jls9595jls9595 Posts: 1,528
    What sorcery is this!
    lol, delicious sorcery :D  
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • DredgerDredger Posts: 1,453
    Holy cow! A few of my favorite things. We gotta try these.
    Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • Sean and Gus would be pleased. 
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,673
    Wow!! So what worked better? Peeled or not?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 6,925

Bookmarked. Thanks and nice post!

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 6,925

More info on the beer batter please, and how does replacing the top work when you drop it in the batter? Seems it would fall off. Maybe I am missing something....

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Twice deep fried cheese stuffed spuds, like twice bakers only with a lot more attitude. Thanks for sharing. 
    @Chubbs - not sure what the OP used for beer batter but simple is better. Equal parts beer and flour whisked together. For every cup of beer/flour add one tablespoon baking powder. Whisk and let sit covered for at least two hours at room temp. Fantastic. 
    Delta B.C. - Move over coffee, this is job for alcohol!
    I liked the way the peeled tasted but it is a subtle difference. The top stayed on no problem, I pushed it back on there pretty good and I guess the batter helps keep it in place. For the batter I used 1 cup flour 1 and 1/2 cup beer, 1 tsp garlic powder and 1/2 tsp pepper. It was just a little thin so you might want to adjust it a little. Also I would add some seasoning to the potatoes after the first fry, inside with the cheese. Maybe a little more seasoning to the batter as well. Really mash the cheese in too, it shrinks up a bit.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • lakewadelakewade Posts: 383
    Never seen those before and am definitely trying.  Thanks!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • jls9595  That sounds amazing the only thing I would change is I would fry it in Duck Fat 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    jls9595  That sounds amazing the only thing I would change is I would fry it in Duck Fat 
    duck fat you say?  sounds different(to me at least). I have a bucket of lard, not sure what animal it came from though. where do you get duck fat?
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • not sure my son is a chef and he gets it but I'm sure you can render down some ducks and get it 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
    It must be good, although I have never been duck hunting this is a good excuse to take it up. :D 
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • jls9595 yes thats true but you don't have to go duck hunting you can buy whole ducks in the super market 
    Long Island N.Y.
    Huh, OK, never looked for duck.  You have possibly opened up a whole new world for me, thanks!  :))
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!