Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Getting ready for my first cook

I am new to smoking but am a firm beliver if you are going to do something, do it right! So, I bought a large BGE. I have everything put together and am preparing to cook on it this weekend. My question is, what is the best meat to cook for my first cook ever on my new BGE?
Large BGE and new to the egghead world! 
Orlando FL.

Comments

• id start off with something simple. try burgers or chicken and try to keep it at a certain temp to get your feel on temp control on the egg.
    Nashville, Tennessee
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Agree on the pork butt, great way to learn to control the temp of the egg and results will be great.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • PORK BUTT thats what I broke in my LBGE with and since that is hands down my favorite think to cook on my Egg and as Hapster says very forgiving just try to keep temp and get a feel for your egg ,fasten you seat belt and enjoy the ride keep looking forward never look back ,and welcom to the world of Eggheads 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • keep it simple for your first few attempts. Allow yourself some time to get aquainted with the newest love of your life. its really like dating for the first time. You need to get to know each before you go all the way... My suggestion is to go to your butcher and have them grind up some ribeyes and make some fantastic burgers. Oh!!! and make sure you have a beer in hand at all times or you are sure to ruin whatever it is you choose to cook! Welcome and best of luck
    Go Gamecocks!!!
    1 XL, 1 MM
    Smoking in Aiken South Carolina
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Pork butt is very forgiving.  If the temp varies from your desired setting by +/- 50* for an hour while you are learning to dial in the egg, it doesn't matter; you just adjust the time to done.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    The first thing I cooked on my large BGE was a mail order steak from Allen Brothers, probably cost around $40, for a ribeye. Thought it would be a nice treat. I burned the hell out of it. One side was completely black. Completely ruined, my worst cook by far on any grill. Everything else has turned out pretty good though.

Go with something nice, easy, and cheap until you get a hand on things. I would recommend chicken.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    If you are cooking indirect for your first cook pork butt, if you are grilling direct, spatchcock chicken.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Best hint for newbies. Make sure you let the charcoal heat up for a while, 20 minutes or so, before you put your meat on. It needs to burn off all the bad stuff first. You can tell by the smell of the smoke. As soon as it doesn't have that harsh smell, you are good to go.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162

Welcome aboard.  Enjoy the journey.  WRT-what to cook-all good suggestions above.  Spatchcock chix is a favorite as it doesn't take too long.  All that said, here a link that you should give a good look.  The ceramic section will answer most of your questions, the recipe section has lots of good ideas (including spatchcock chix) and there is a wealth of other usefeul materials:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm  And no affiliation here.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I tried to tackle a brisket for my first cook. It was an experience for sure due to my lack of experience controlling the temp. Good luck! You'll get better and better the more cooks you do! I'll second the pork butt suggestion.
    Houston, TX
  • Not much more I can add but I'd go with chicken and burgers for the first few cooks
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

I didn't feel comfortable enough to do low and slow for my maiden voyage.  I was hesitant with all the unknown variables when jumping from primarily gas grill cooking to the egg.  I chose to start off with chicken thighs.  They're easy, forgiving and noticeably better on the egg. 

Congrats on the grill and enjoy.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Welcome... Whatever you decide, just try to start low and raise the temp slowly. Have fun.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Concur with all above, I used a Pork Butt to break her in. Welcome to the club.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • spatchcock chicken for first cook.
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    I'm presuming you don't have a bunch of eggcessories. If you don't have a Plate Setter or similar stay with chicken or pork chops. Break it in slowly.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I vote for 2 cooks. First make yourself some steaks,chops or chicken boobs, really anything you would cook direct Once your done start to dampen the egg down till you get about 250-275* and throw a butt on. This will ensure you have a good firefor your first long cook.make sure it is settled in for at least 1hr before ploppin the butt on the grid. That is if you want to to an all nighter. If not i would go turbo with a boston butt. If you choose the first method make sure you fill the lump to the top of the ring where your plate setter sits in order to have enough fuel.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Excellent ideas everyone, thank you very much! I decided to go with chicken quarters with a Carolina sauce to finish. I figure if I burn then no real loss. Have a place setter and going indirect with the egg somewhat dialed in at 400. Here is my first photo of the egg and chicken cooking, couldn't be happier! :)
    Can't wait until tomorrow, gonna show cook a Boston butt! Any rub or marinade suggestions?
    Orlando FL.
  • Finished product!

P.S. it tastes amazing and its cooked perfectly!
    Orlando FL.
  • boy is it nice to see a white inside of the Egg it wont  be like that for long 
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Looks great, welcome to the forum. Looking forward to your next cook.
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Uh oh, now how in the heck do you get this thing out, lol. I've shut the bottom vent and put the ceramic lid on top and it won't snuff out or even drop in temperature, still at 400?
    Help!
    Orlando FL.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    If you have shut the bottom vent and put the ceramic cap on you are good to go. It will take a couple of hrs for it to cool down because all the hot ceramic is holding heat right now. No worries!!

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Ok, thanks Matt...I'll wait patiently but keep posted just in case, ha.
    Orlando FL.
  • Ragtop99

Ok, thanks Matt...I'll wait patiently but keep posted just in case, ha.
    That's why you want to bring the temps up slowly for low and slow.  Once the ceramic heats up, it stays hot for a while.
  • Good call rag, I'll remember that this weekend when cooking my BB. Any suggestions on the best way to get the temp up slowly? Today I started the fire, shut the lid and it was at 350 in 8 minutes and this was with the vents shut to half.
    Orlando FL.
  • Ragtop99
    edited October 2013
    Low and slow requires very little air.  You'll have to experiment to see where your grill settles in.  Once the fire is established you can be at 1/4 to 1/2 on the bottom vent and close the lid, Once the grill hits 225*, you can figure that the bottom vent will need a 1/2" or less, so.  DW holes half open to open.  After that you'll need to watch it.  It will take a while to get all the hot.  If smoke is clear and smell is nice, put the food on.  Don't panic that it will read low, maybe only 200*, for a while.  You have a lot of ceramic to heat and the meat is absorbing heat.  So long as you can tell the fire is going, it may take as much as hour to come to temp.  Check it every 15 minutes so you get a feel for how the grill reacts and see where it is settling in.  After you gain experience and comfort with the grill it will be much easier to set and forget.

On my XL, my bottom vent settles in at 3/8" opening with the DW holes half closed.  That will yield a stable 250 - 275* after about 90 minutes of putting the food and indirect stone (e.g. platesetter) in it.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    @BGE_beginner_1 how did you start the fire? Depending on ambient air temperature, humidity, age of charcoal, etc. fires can grow quick or slow.  If cooking low and slow I typically shut the vents almost all the way when the dome gets to about 225* degrees.  I use fire starters similar to what BGE sells. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.