Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grilled Spaghetti Squash & Roasted Garlic Bread

Options
Howdy,

My name is Brian, AKA WinnipEGGhead on the other forum. I have had my Large Egg for about 2 years now, my XL for 1 year and my Mini is about a month old. I have been lurking a lot lately and decided to start posting to the vegetarian forum as it seems it is vastly underused :-)

I've started doing a LOT more vegetarian cooks on the Big Green Egg lately. Tonight I did grilled spaghetti squash and a roasted garlic bread.

Never cooked a spaghetti squash before, it said on the instruction sticker (glad it came with instructions!!!) that it needed to bake at 375F for about 45 minutes. It wasn't close at 30 minutes so I upped the temp to 400F for the second 30 and it cooked great.

Here are some pics...

Turned out great! I would make this again for sure!

Happy Egging!
Brian
EGGhead from Winnipeg MB, Canada = WinnipEGGhead
wwww.winnipeggheads.com

Cooking on Mini, Large & XL Big Green Eggs

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice! Did you start them up put together and the. Open them up?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DamageCase
    Options
    Thanks!!!

I started them off cut in half and cleaned out. Brushed them with some olive oil and hit with some Italian seasoning.

The instructions said to put some water in the cavity to help them cook faster, but I didn't want to do that with the oil and seasoning, so that's why I upped the Egg temp to 400F and flipped them over.

Cooked them indirect the whole time over the plate setter.

wwww.winnipeggheads.com

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks. Spaghetti squash has looked interesting when others have cooked it, so I have wanted to try it for some time. Do you eat it just like spaghetti?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DamageCase
    Options
    Yeah, just like spaghetti. When it is done, it will get stringy and shreds with almost no effort at all. I just used a regular old fork to shred it.

I just whipped up a quick pasta sauce and topped with asiago cheese and fresh chopped basil. It has a different texture than pasta and a mild flavor, so you get more flavor from the sauce than the squash.

What I liked about it was that I like garlic bread but I didn't want carbs on carbs. So it was nice to have a plate full of veggies and some garlic bread on the side.

Brian
    wwww.winnipeggheads.com

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Looks great...will have to try that
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.