Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg gasket

Options
I might be a lucky person here and maybe holding a record. My large Egg is over 15 years old. It has been fired up hundreds of times cooking you name it. I have had it up to 800 degrees several times and many low and slow cooks. It has the same gasket that came with it and it does not leak. Imagine that.

Comments

• biznork
    biznork Posts: 112
    Options
    Is it still in good shape? I have my original gasket still, but it's pretty rough looking. There are small pieces missing.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    I might be a lucky person here and maybe holding a record. My large Egg is over 15 years old. It has been fired up hundreds of times cooking you name it. I have had it up to 800 degrees several times and many low and slow cooks. It has the same gasket that came with it and it does not leak. Imagine that.

Yes, you are a record holder for sure using the OE felt. I have a Rutland going on 7 years old now, but since it will withstand 2,200 degrees I'm not sure I have enough years left in my lifetime to post a challenge to you in the future to say who won!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • GreenhawK
    Options
    My original is 7 years old, but it is starting to look rough.  For about 2 years I only used the Egg to do low and slows, and used another grill for high heat cooks.  

I think that seasoned the gasket somehow.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • JWhirlwind
    Options
    My gasket is still doing it's thing. It is not as thick as when new but it does not leak. Until it starts leaking, I guess I will leave it alone. Lucky me. 
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited April 2015
    Options
    We just passed 3 years on all 4 of our Eggs here at the shop.  That includes a lengthy Pizza class cook every year that pushes them at +600° for 5/6 hours each year.  We can probably get another couple of years with no problem.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    That is good.  Really good.