Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse Sear Ribeye & Asparagus

Options
R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
I put a 2" thick ribeye that was labeled as a "roast" (it only had one bone so I call it a thick steak) onto the Small indirect at about 250-275 dome with a chunk of red oak for smoke: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Cooked it to about 117 IT, removed the Woo, and seared it a minute/side on the cast iron grid: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

A couple mins after pulling: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

While the steak rested the asparagus went on. I'm enjoying the veggie clips that I first saw @Doc_Eggerton use: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

After removing the asparagus and a few more minutes of rest, I sliced off some ribeye for my wife: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Then moved the rest of the steak to my plate: Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

It was a tasty meal. Thanks for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    look at the marbling in that steak! Beauty!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    Looks AWESOME!!! I think this is my absolute favourite meal.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    That looks delicious.
  • dpittard
    dpittard Posts: 126
    Options
    Would someone mind linking where to buy those veggie clips?  I've seem them pop up in a number of dinner posts and I'm thinking about picking up a set.

LBGE with a massive wish list
    Athens, Ga.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Great cook, beautiful steak. 
    @R2Egg2Q How do you keep your asparagus tips from burning? 
    I've always had to foil them or the tips are charred before the stalk is tender crisp. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    yummy!!

XLBGE 
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    dpittard said:

Would someone mind linking where to buy those veggie clips?  I've seem them pop up in a number of dinner posts and I'm thinking about picking up a set.

They're from Sur La Table: http://m.surlatable.com/product/PRO-876995/
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options

Great cook, beautiful steak. 

@R2Egg2Q How do you keep your asparagus tips from burning? 
    I've always had to foil them or the tips are charred before the stalk is tender crisp. 
    Thanks Skiddy! I just try to keep the stalks over the center of the grill and tips towards the outer perimeter where it is slightly cooler. The clips helped in quickly flipping and rotating which helped as well.

Bay Area, CA
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options

" I just try to keep the stalks over the center of the grill and tips towards the outer perimeter where it is slightly cooler."

Exactly.  This is where it pays off to have some heat/temp differences across your grill and to know where they are.  Just line the asparagus up with the stalks over the hotter part and keep the tips cooler.  On my XL, depending on what I am cooking and the size and location of the center of the fire, it could be hotter in the back, or in the center or wherever.  I've actually cooked them "semi-direct" with the plate setter in place by putting the stalk end over the open area where the heat flows around the plate setter and the tips over the plate setter to block the direct heat to the tips.

When my friends see me take that much care to line up the asparagus just right they then tend to fall into 1 of 2 camps.  Some of them mumble something to the effect of "that's too much thought/work - I just throw the food on the grill" and others are impressed with the detail and how it ultimately leads to a better meal.  It's times like that when I realize the the entire group here (well maybe with the exception "Mickey the wing killer") is part of the top 1% of grillers.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Options
    I have a large and moving the hot platesetter is possible just not very fun.  Is starting the cook indirectly a necessity or could i just get the temp up to within twenty of my target before searing?  we eat well done in my house so i have to get it up to around 155 eventually.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    That is a thing of beauty.   I want one!!!   :((

Phenomenal pics...that last pic is a magazine cover for sure.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• MrCookingNurse
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Beaumonty said:
    I have a large and moving the hot platesetter is possible just not very fun.  Is starting the cook indirectly a necessity or could i just get the temp up to within twenty of my target before searing?  we eat well done in my house so i have to get it up to around 155 eventually.

you lost me here.

I just put on gloves, regular leather work gloves and grab it, already having a place picked out to sit it.  I also have some welder gloves, but don't use them as much as I thought I would.  And I have soft women hands like @eggceslior does

Beaumonty said:

Blasphemy!!!!  :-t

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @MrCookingNurse

I always make sure I lotion well. Cotton gloves at night.
  • Beaumonty
    Beaumonty Posts: 198
    Options
    Beaumonty said:

you lost me here.

I just put on gloves, regular leather work gloves and grab it, already having a place picked out to sit it.  I also have some welder gloves, but don't use them as much as I thought I would.  And I have soft women hands like @eggceslior does

Beaumonty said:

Blasphemy!!!!  :-t
    I know, I know.  well done is blasphemy I give the folks what they want. \m/ I like MW, actually.

I though that the sear adds quite a bit of heat to the steak.  I may be confusing it for how the Trex method does so.  I suppose I just need to get it fairly close to my target, remove plate setter (I use an "Ov Glove" inside BBQ gloves), then let steak rest while I ramp up the heat in the egg for the final sear.

• MrCookingNurse
    Options

@MrCookingNurse

Really gotta take care of your hands during winter months and changing gloves and washing hands all day can make your skin dry and crack. I do a good paraffin wax treatment at least weekly.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @Beaumonty

The "sear" in Trex and reverse sear do the same thing. It does pound the steak with heat but for a fairly short time. If you have the ability to go "raised direct", you can put the meat on a raised grid and cook to around 20 degrees from target. Rest it for the ramp up and then blast it on the lower grid, where it will raise 10 degrees(or do the plate setter way - I've done both) It will raise the remaining 5-10 degrees with the rest.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Looks delicious.  I like a touch of char on my asparagus.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Beaumonty said:

No... You don't need the platesetter for this cook at all. In my LBGE my set up is... Make sure your lump is 2" below the top of your fire box. I start the fire and I place my 13 1/2" grill extender on the top of the fire box, it fits like a glove. Then I put my 18" grid on top of the fire ring. When the temp is stable at 350 degrees I put the meat on and close the lid. Remember now, you are baking the steaks, not grilling them at this point. When the meat temp gets to 85/90 degrees I open the lid and flip the steaks and then close the lid. When the meat gets to 110 degrees I open the lid and remove the steaks and place them on a plate. I open the bottom vent wide open and remove my 18" grid. At this point there will be very little browning on your steaks. Also be aware the lid will stay open for the rest of the cook. While your fire is ramping up take this time to blot your steaks with a paper towel to remove any water that may have rendered out of the meat. You want to sear them, not steam them. Paint the side you are going to sear first with beef love and on to the red hot coals it goes. Also be aware that with the meat being 2" from the flame, because you took the time to fill the fire box just right, you don't need a roaring fire like on the Trex method. It will only take a very few minutes to get that meat to 135 degrees and give it that beautiful dark mahogany color. Before you flip your meat when it is down low... Paint the other side with beef love. That... Is how I do it! Now for you and your family liking well done meat... Take your meat off of the top grid when your meat gets to 125/130 and finish it off from there. You need a thermapen or something like it for the searing. Leaving your Maverick probe in down low like that is not recommend. Forget about your platesetter when cooking steaks, you don't need it at all.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Farkin beautiful cook! You're a meat and bbq photography master. The last pic needs to be published somewhere. What a steak!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • chris123stock
    Options
    Looks awsome, good cook.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448
    Options
    Yeah boy, that's about as good as it gets. Big fan of the reverse sear.
  • HogHeaven
    HogHeaven Posts: 326
    edited April 2013
    Options
    @MrCookingNurse

Really gotta take care of your hands during winter months and changing gloves and washing hands all day can make your skin dry and crack. I do a good paraffin wax treatment at least weekly. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

That picture reminds me of when I was in a real bad car accident and really injured my hand. That wax treatment was a part of my therapy and I loved it. That really, really feels good.
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Great looking cook as usual! I need to try reverse sear one of these days.

I love those clips and use mine all the time!
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • R2Egg2Q
    Options
    Thanks all for the compliments!
    Beaumonty said:

The platesetter is optional. I've done reverse sear cooks using just a drip pan and also raised direct (but at a little higher temp initially).

Bay Area, CA