Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So frustrated..

bccomstock
bccomstock Posts: 338
edited April 2013 in EggHead Forum
Yesterday, I did a batch of ribs most of the day at 235 or so and the Egg was holding temp great.. Finished that cook and let the Egg stay at that temp or around there (250 or so) till I was ready to throw a 5 lb pork butt on.. I decided I needed some more lump so I poured that in.. Last check before bed around midnight and the temp was at 300.. Figured it would cook way too quickly and I'd have the wireless monitor going off in the early morning, so I closed the vents a little and hoped it would get back to 250 or so.. Wake up around 6 and the butt is at 178 internal.. Go outside and the dome temp is right around 200.. Get it rolling again at 250 or so and it finished around 10..

We had some places to go today, but I thought we'd be back within 5 hours or so.. So I FTC'd it.. We don't get back for over 8 hours.. The butt's barely warm.. Into the trash it went.. Didn't want to chance one of us getting sick.  And now I'm sick cause of all that went into it. 

X(
LBGE
MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Woa, the butt was still warm, even if just barely.  I suspect you were perfectly safe.  You aren't even talking raw meat, it was partially cooked.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Now he feels real bad..throwing out a perfectly cooked Butt. I would of ate it
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    It would be good to know what the internal temp was before tossed.  You go into a great long stall usually where the temp can even go down.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Consult the forum before chuckin it.  Many of us have been dere.
    +100000000000000
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I'd have pulled it and reheated.
    Charlie tuna Posts: 2,191
    Really you held good low temperatures for the ribs, that's a good thing, but anytime you adjust the vents, for ANY.reason you really need to wait until the egg settles out which might take an hour or so! Consider turbo cooking your butts and get away from overnight problems.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    If it makes you feel any better I'd ate it. It was cooked. Not raw meat sitting out.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Is it still foiled?? I'd assume so. Get it out of the trash and put it in the fridge for lunch tomorrow :-\"

XLBGE 
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    The meat spent hours at 160-190+ degrees before you foiled it.  By the time you wrapped it in foil it was essentially sterilized.  Nothing much can happen in the 1-2 hours it may have dropped below 140 within the sterile envelope you stored it in. 

You can't compare the above to scenario to leaving some chicken out for hours that was only cooked to 160 for 5 minutes.
  • egger ave
    egger ave Posts: 721
    been there done that, scanned this forum, reheated and no one died.
    1 Large BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Minimax BGE, Original wife and 3 dogs living in the heart of BBQ country in Round Rock Texas. 

"The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Albert Einstein
  • bccomstock
    Everything I read said not to chance it if over 5 hours and internal temp is below 140 after FTC..

I was trying to rationalize it as it was just like cooked meat left out all day..

It also had a slightly off smell to it.. Still had the smoke scent, but something was different about it.

I did eat a few pieces before dumping it, so I guess we'll see if I get sick..
    LBGE
  • Consult the forum before chuckin it.  Many of us have been dere.

well said.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Or at least call Nola and he can arrage to feed it to his neighboor's dogs.....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    If you look at the four hour rule and give it a couple of hours more for the salt in the rub and the smoke that it is sitting in that is a pretty good guide

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    While I'm inclined to agree that the meat was still O.K. to eat, I remain a strong believer of

"When in doubt, throw it out." No when ever puked from that.

And that doubt should be quintupled if those who might eat the food are toddlers, elderly, or already sick.

Food safety is a really complex issue. As it happens, cooked food will go bad from contamination faster than uncooked. The very coarse food safety rule is hold the uncooked meat between 40F and 140F for no more than 4 hours, but only 2 hours if cooked.

The reason I'm inclined to think the meat was OK is that it was still quite hot, above 180F, when wrapped. Any contamination from handling would be cancelled in a few minutes within the packet.

But!!! If somehow something like S. Aureus was not wiped out, perhaps because the meat was contaminated at a temperature below 120F, from sitting awhile at room temp, after 8 hours, there might have been a million cells from just 1. What I've read indicates possible sickness at about 100K cells. Longer than 4 hours could be a hazard even w. safe handling.

I think a better solution then FTC in this situation, and maybe most others, is bag the meat, fill the slow cooker w. hot water, and set it on Low or Keep warm. Not a great solution, but hazards would really be reduced.
  • bccomstock
    edited April 2013
    No puking yet.. I typically err on the side of caution as it is.. Another lesson learned.
    LBGE
  • At least give it to a neighbor you don't like.

Maybe you need a better cooler? I have a Yeti and I FTC'd two big pork butts for 8 hours and they were steaming when I opened them up. Also, make sure your cooler is full when you close it by adding more towels if necessary. I live where it is cold so I bring my cooler indoors to warm it to room temp before adding the meat.
  • bccomstock
    At least give it to a neighbor you don't like.

Maybe you need a better cooler? I have a Yeti and I FTC'd two big pork butts for 8 hours and they were steaming when I opened them up. Also, make sure your cooler is full when you close it by adding more towels if necessary. I live where it is cold so I bring my cooler indoors to warm it to room temp before adding the meat.
    Yeah, it's definitely a cheap cooler, and I didn't add any extra towels.. Or pre-warm it.
    LBGE