Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What is the perfect BGE meal?

I'm talking appetizers, main course, sides and desert. Please include your choice of adult beverages and cigars, etc. I've really enjoyed cooking one item and now feel compelled to make a complete meal. Tons of expert opinions here and I know I can learn.

Comments

• flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    IMHO.... low and slow pork butt with sweet dry rub and a great bark  AND a dry rub brisket.  Love to eat both at the same sitting.  While those are resting in the cooler, put the home made baked beans in the dutch oven onto the remaining fire in the Egg.  Serve it all with Bunny Bread and a variety of sauces....
    Not much of a cooked appetizer person yet...
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    It kind of depends on what you like to cook and if you want to spend all day making one meal or lots of dishes. I will post links to a few of my favorites. We obviously like mexican food and it is great to make a bunch of sides and desserts along with the meat on the egg. 

Paella on the LBGE! is a really fun cook all in one pan. Sangria is a great complement. 

Pulled Pork one day / Carnitas the next I like to make Salsa, Guacomole, and tortillas I all make or at least roast vegetables and peppers on the egg. Beer or margaritas go well here. 

Pizza Parties are always a great hit for a crowd here we did 11 pizzas and two mini ones
    Baker's Dozen Pizza Party just some ice cold beer and punch for the little ones. 

This was a really fun cook and turned out to be a great day using the BGE
    Tacos al pastor Mexican beer and margaritas. 

Valentines Cook this was cooked partially on the egg and the dessert was really fun and a huge hit but I made the pasta and sauce on the stove. 

I usually try to do a fairly big cook on sundays and invite friends and family over. Sometimes dessert is made on the egg and sometimes it is made in the oven beforehand to concentrate on outdoor activities and the egg for the afternoon / evening. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited March 2013
    @Tjcoley all of those look great but I am really intrigued with the apple pie. I went and bookmarked your link and I will let you know when I make them thanks! Pig candy is on the list as well. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    @Solson005 you will not be disappointed in the Apple Pies.  My favorite dessert on the Egg and can really impress the guests.  I have my large family (5 brothers and a sister, average of 2 kids each plus grandchildren) addicted to Pig Candy.  I have to make it for every family get together, and have taught a few of them how to make it on a gasser.  
    @Tjcoley my cousins son who is 13 has been my helper on the past couple of big cooks and saw it on tv and has been asking about it so we will make pig candy soon. I like individual desserts so that is right up my alley. I made a apple crostata last night with my meatloaf but didn't do it on the egg so it would be flavors I love. 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Tjcoley said:
    @Solson005 you will not be disappointed in the Apple Pies.  My favorite dessert on the Egg and can really impress the guests.  I have my large family (5 brothers and a sister, average of 2 kids each plus grandchildren) addicted to Pig Candy.  I have to make it for every family get together, and have taught a few of them how to make it on a gasser.  
    I will vouch for these they are awesome I made them for christmas as my contribution at the inlaws.  the presentation blows people away, they are a bit labor in tensive but not bad.  I used a crumbled topping instead of pie crust and I think a threw a couple of shots of bourbon in for good measure.
  • Solson005
    @U_tarded I dig the bourbon idea, as there is usually a bottle of makers around the house. I like the labor intensive cooks and take a bit more pride in them when they turn out well. The pie crust I made for yesterdays Apple Crostata would be quick and easy but I like crumbled toppings as well. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Solson005

Nice pics.  I could eat that guac with a spoon, man.
    @nolaegghead that is Rick Bayless grilled garlic and orange guacamole and is my goto guac now. I get asked for the recipe by at least two people every time I bring it somewhere. The onions, peppers, and garlic get roasted up on the egg as it heats up. It is money! 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    oranges - interesting - adds some sweetness and complements the lime...me likey
    Getting supremes out of a orange isn't the most fun job in the world, but it is worth it @nolaegghead
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    My perfect BGE meal:

Plenty of Sam Adams beer while cooking.

Hickory smoked Boston Butt roast, made into pulled pork. With home made sauce.

Cole slaw

Corn on the cob

"Barbecue bread" - this is just a commercial white bread, very thick slices with sesame seeds on top. Not at all fancy, but so good with this kind of meal.

Iced tea

After all of the above, we are always too full for desert. :)

Tim