Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paella on the LBGE!

Solson005
Solson005 Posts: 1,911
edited September 2012 in EggHead Forum
This weekend we decided to take a trip to Spain while staying in our backyard. 

Paella, Sangria, and Flan!

We have made Paella before but did it on the dutch oven table with a fire underneath. Now that we have the BGE it was time to figure out the best method to make it. As my dad put it The Naked Whiz is like the Consumer Reports of all things ceramic. So to the website we went and found everything we needed and much more, Paella on the LBGE

First we prepped everything, got the Saffron stock simmering on the stovetop, and made some Sangria. We used a bottle from the Rioja Region of Spain, some Pomegranate juice, sliced up oranges, apples, and the juice of a lime with a touch of simple syrup. 

On to the Paella:
First we got the temp up to 400° then closed the bottom vent completely. To achieve the raised grid we used firebricks. 

In goes the olive oil, chicken, and sausage. 

Once they are done remove them. 

Next goes the sofrito 
Next a little vino. I think that sofrito is half of the secret sauce and vino is the other half. Wine does a couple of things, it imparts a little tang to the paella and the acid from the wine helps to cut the oil and grease from the various meats used. 

The rice goes in next. 
Then add the liquid from the Saffron stock. 

Once you start building the soccarat its time to start adding in all the proteins 
first the chicken and sausage
Then the shrimp
Mussels and clams (the clams were steamed inside on the stove, last time a few didn't open while in the paella)
Almost ready..

All done!

You can't have a Spanish feast with out some homemade Flan to finish it off!

Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 

Comments

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Wonderful job. Something I still need to tackle.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Looks delicious.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737

That looks great. I'm new to the egg world. Glad to see you can cook with the lid raised. Can I ask a basic question. Why did you need to raise the grid? To put a little more space between the heat and the skillet? Thanks

LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Solson005
    edited September 2012
    Thanks @Griffin @LongboardR @Mike8it it was fun and delicious!

Yes @tulocay ,  a raised grid puts more space in between the fire and your food. It also gets the food higher in the dome so you get a more even cook with the lid is closed. It works really well for dishes like spatchcocked chicken when your cooking direct. I also like doing burgers raised because it is much easier to flip them when the grid is closer to you. Now you can cook with the dome up but when doing normal dishes you lose part of what makes the big green egg work so well, the convection oven even cooking.. The biggest learning curve coming from other grill is to try and open the dome as little as possible and cook to temp rather than a time. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Cozmo
    Cozmo Posts: 20
    Wow, that looks really yummy!
  • I want some. It will go on my to do lists.
  • Solson005
    Thanks @Cozmo and @EggerinLA it is very tasty and a fun way to do something different on the egg!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Opening the egg often doesn't make temp control impossible?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Solson005
    edited February 2013
    You have to get a full load of lump filled to the firebox to a even fire at 400° then shut the bottom vent completely and your fine. We closed the lid a couple times while cooking (no more red handles) but I don't think it is necessary. I've done it on a dutch oven table with a fire and this way was much easier and had better results. Naked Whiz might mention why it works with the bottom vent closed and the top open, I just know it worked for us. 

Think of it cooking over a fire rather than the usual fire control of your BGE. 
  • Now that's a thing of beauty!!!
    LBGE
  • Solson005
    Thanks @DocWonmug its a fun, different thing to cook on the BGE. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Yep. Like Griff still got to try that one.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Looks very good. Curious what was total time start to finish
  • Solson005
    edited February 2013
    @Mickey if I can move things around and make it to Salado, I'll make one and have other things going on my small. Unless you think it might not be enough servings, but it is a different cook on the BGE. How many spots are left for cooks? I don't know how much advanced time I'll have before I know if I can make it or not.. 
  • Solson005
    Looks very good. Curious what was total time start to finish
    I made this last September so I don't remember exactly, but I would plan on around two hours.. Everyone needs to be ready to eat, make some sangria and have everyone outside while you make it. It isn't a make before the guests arrive type of dish. I'll make one soon and I"ll let you know a more accurate time frame.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Impressive!
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Great looking dish!

I've been wanting to do Paella but don't have a pan yet. What kind is yours, size and where did you get it?   Also, how many people did that serve?

Thanks!
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • Sounds like perfect meal for good times with good friends. When I try will definitely have some Jerry jeff playing bc I like to get drunk with friend of mine when we get drunk on that sangria wine...
  • Solson005
    thanks @500 its fun and I need to do it more often. 

@SeeingSpots I got it at williams sonoma i believe it is the 15" one it was $20ish we had 8 hungry people over and had some leftovers. 

@Supercilious_in_5280 it is definitely a fun thing to do for a group of friends! 

• Solson005 said:
    thanks @500 its fun and I need to do it more often. 

@SeeingSpots I got it at williams sonoma i believe it is the 15" one it was $20ish we had 8 hungry people over and had some leftovers. 

@Supercilious_in_5280 it is definitely a fun thing to do for a group of friends! 

Seems like "they" would make a Paella pan with the handles bent UP, so that you could fit a bigger one on your Egg and still be able to close the lid.    The handle takes up a good 6-8 inches right?

Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • ...er...in case that's not invented yet...shotgun!  That works with patents right?   :)
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • Solson005
    @SeeingSpots works with me and I'm a notary if you need a legal copy... 

Eggheads have already thought of it.. Bending Paella Pan Handles I'll measure it tomorrow and see exactly which one it is. 

You don't need to close the lid, I don't know if it helped or not and burnt the red handles in the process not that it matters other than pictures.. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    Bravo! My wife loves all of those things - paella, sangria, and flan... and i love my Egg, so this looks like it will be done on the egg soon :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SeeingSpots
    SeeingSpots Posts: 151
    edited February 2013
    Dang-it!    Do you know how many things I've invented that already exist?  I could write a book about it.   Do'oh!   There's already a book about that too.

Oh well.   Anyway, seems like Nakedwhiz dropped the lid to get some smoke on the Paella at the end.    Also saw some other videos, etc where the lid got closed.

This one was my favorite:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-kBmToj-t0
    Flowery Branch, GA  LBGE
  • Solson005
    @caliking it is so good and more intimidating than anything. I am surprised there aren't more posts about it, I need to make it more often than I do. If I had cheaper access to fresh seafood I bet it would be made very often around here. I even got a new drink dispenser for christmas that is perfect for sangria! 

• Solson005
    @SeeingSpots that might have been the best 11mins i've spent on the internet in awhile. I will be making it again very soon and maybe searching around to find that pan to make the most I can at one time. I don't think finding extra friends to eat it will be a problem and if it is I need new friends.. Thanks for posting that video, now I'm hungry.. 
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    This is a lot of work, but well worth it!
    Thanks for the chance to bookmark!
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Need to try this
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Wow very impressive !! ^:)^
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......