Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite winter brew?

Comments

• bvc
    bvc Posts: 37
    Dupont Avec les Bons Voeux
    Kenmore, WA
    Large and Small BGE
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    henapple said:
    Beer...with no moderation.
    This guy gets it.
    ^:)^
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Mauch5
    Mauch5 Posts: 33
    Mauch5 said:
    What is your preferred winter brew while egging? I am partial to Newcastle and Great Lakes Christmas Ale. I am looking to try a few others.

Great Lakes, yes! As a transplant down here in Houston, maybe the thing I miss most is Great Lakes beer. We have St. Arnolds which is pretty good but it's still no Great Lakes. I'm a fan of wheat beers, so always partial to Holy Moses.

Those winter ales are a bit tough though when it's 80 outside.

I hear ya.  My drink selection is totally different when it warms up.  Great Lakes has a great selection. 
  • @FlaskaBob -  you said "Yer right! I don't get out much however... Light beer????? at a premium price????? I don't get it. The brewers are selling a watered down product, telling you that it has less calories, giving you less barley and hops and selling it at the same price or higher sometimes. If you want to save some money buy regular beer, put in a few ice cubes and by the time you are finished, you will have consumed a lighter beer. Not only that, you would end up with more beer!"

You are right, the Liquor boards control the market thru price, not quality. Not sure the brewers have that much clout. Lights only sell at premium prices in Canada, although I'm not so sure about the prices in NY, Ohio, Mich. 
    In Washington state, I can get light beer at a substantial discount, 30 pack of cans or 24 bottles for <$20. The craft beers are usually had for <$25 for 24 bottles. And US 12oz bottles are 355ml, not that stripped down English 12oz, 341ml. Hell I can buy brewed in BC 24X11.5 US oz bottled Kokanee for <$20, pay $15 tax and still be less than what the BC liquor stores charge. (Sorry for the rant, but when it comes to alcohol us Canucks are dumb as a bag of hammers)
    OK there is something really really wrong here. #1.Yer agreeing with me???. You are usually trying to find fault with my logic and body slam me to the floor. #2. I'm not sure how old you are but you were either born metric or have completely forgotten about the Imperial system of weights and measures. Since a yankee gallon is smaller than an Imperial gallon, how can it be possible that a Merican oz is bigger than an Imperial oz? To be honest, the Merican 12 oz bottle is equivalent to 12.49 Imperial fluid ozs. of beer. So how can 12 ozs of Merican beer be 355 ml and the Canadian 12 oz bottle be 341 ml?. Oh yah! It must be that extra water they sneak in down there.  =))

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Imperial ounce and gallon is bigger than Merican.  You got more ounces in your gallon too.

Volume

In 1824, the United Kingdom adopted a unit similar to the ale gallon, known as the imperial gallon. It was based on the volume of 10 lb of distilled water weighed in air with brass weights with the barometer standing at 30 in Hg at a temperature of 62 °F (17 °C). In 1963 this definition was refined as the space occupied by 10 pounds (4.5 kg) of distilled water of density 0.998859 g/mL weighed in air of density 0.001217 g/mL against weights of density 8.136 g/mL. This works out to 4.546096 L, or 277.4198 cu in. The Weights and Measures Act of 1985 switched to a gallon of exactly 4.54609 L (approximately 277.4194 cu in).[17]

Table of volume units
    Unit Imperial
    ounce
    Imperial
    pint
    Millilitres Cubic inches US ounces US pints
    fluid ounce (fl oz) 1     1/20    28.4130625 1.7339 0.96076 0.060047
    gill (gi) 5     1/4    142.0653125 8.6694 4.8038 0.30024
    pint (pt) 20    1    568.26125 34.677 19.215 1.2009
    quart (qt) 40    2    1,136.5225 69.355 38.430 2.4019
    gallon (gal) 160     8     4,546.09 277.42 153.72 9.6076
    Note: The millilitre equivalences are exact, but cubic-inch and US measures are correct to 5 significant figures.

• We actually decided to catch up with the rest of the world and moved over to the metric system in the '70s. You Mericans are one of the few countries left on the planet that has not yet changed over. I think that it was a big conspiracy by our government when we changed so that they could change the prices of gas at will and it didn't seem so bad when it only went up a few cents per liter (25 to 30 cents a gallon seemed a lot worse. Even now we are paying $1.18/L converted to Gallons is $5.36 per minus a couple of cents for an merican gallon cause its smaller. and our dollar is higher as well $1.01 merican. What's this got to do with beer? 

1 large BGE, 2 small BGE, 3 Plate setters, 1 large cast iron grid, 1 pizza stone, 1 Stoker II Wifi, 1 BBQ Guru Digi-Q II, 1 Amaze N pellet smoker and 1 empty wallet.      Seaforth, On. Ca.

• Troegs Mad Elf and, of course, Sam Adams Winter Lager.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Hands down Sam Adams Winter Lager!
  • +1 for Great Lakes Christmas Ale. Awesome!
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I don't care if it's in a thimble or a gallon jug as long as it's beer.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,041
    Little know fact "light beers" are actually brewed to a higher alcohol content then watered down to you standard 4.6% alcohol by volume +/- depending on brew. Kinda like moonshiner a proofing their liquer to get a consistent batch.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I prefer an ice cold Miller Light in every season. I am proud to be unsophisticated when it comes to beer.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • nolaegghead
    edited December 2012
    I loaded up a fresh 15.5 gallon keg of Stella Artois the Wed before thanksgiving.  It's an easy drinking beer.  I can only drink about one dark beer before I'm not ready for another.  The Stella is addictive.  My beer fridge is pretty full between all the beer and ciders, two trays of cured fish and a packer brisket right now.  We need to throw a party.
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Good question, love a good dark beer this time of year.  A few:

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale

Anchor Steam Christmas Ale

Port Brewing Santa's Little Helper

• (I realize celebration ale isn't a dark beer, but love it this time of year.  Also bourbon imp stouts always good)
  • Kilkenny Irish ale, Guiness and Maudite

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• We actually decided to catch up with the rest of the world and moved over to the metric system in the '70s. You Mericans are one of the few countries left on the planet that has not yet changed over. I think that it was a big conspiracy by our government when we changed so that they could change the prices of gas at will and it didn't seem so bad when it only went up a few cents per liter (25 to 30 cents a gallon seemed a lot worse. Even now we are paying $1.18/L converted to Gallons is $5.36 per minus a couple of cents for an merican gallon cause its smaller. and our dollar is higher as well $1.01 merican. What's this got to do with beer? 
    In truth the US and Canada were supposed to convert to metric at the same time. Canadians complained and the government rammed it down our throats. The Americans complained and the government scrapped the deal. What kind of govenment listens to the people that elected them? It's wrong I tell you just wrong

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    If it's any consolation, the US does use the metric system in scientific disciplines.  That's all we use at work. We're working on a new line of metric woodchippers to flood the Canadian market, oh yaaaah, ay?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2012
    @FlaskaBob -  you said "Yer right! I don't get out much however... Light beer????? at a premium price????? I don't get it. The brewers are selling a watered down product, telling you that it has less calories, giving you less barley and hops and selling it at the same price or higher sometimes. If you want to save some money buy regular beer, put in a few ice cubes and by the time you are finished, you will have consumed a lighter beer. Not only that, you would end up with more beer!"

You are right, the Liquor boards control the market thru price, not quality. Not sure the brewers have that much clout. Lights only sell at premium prices in Canada, although I'm not so sure about the prices in NY, Ohio, Mich. 
    In Washington state, I can get light beer at a substantial discount, 30 pack of cans or 24 bottles for <$20. The craft beers are usually had for <$25 for 24 bottles. And US 12oz bottles are 355ml, not that stripped down English 12oz, 341ml. Hell I can buy brewed in BC 24X11.5 US oz bottled Kokanee for <$20, pay $15 tax and still be less than what the BC liquor stores charge. (Sorry for the rant, but when it comes to alcohol us Canucks are dumb as a bag of hammers)
    OK there is something really really wrong here. #1.Yer agreeing with me???. You are usually trying to find fault with my logic and body slam me to the floor. #2. I'm not sure how old you are but you were either born metric or have completely forgotten about the Imperial system of weights and measures. Since a yankee gallon is smaller than an Imperial gallon, how can it be possible that a Merican oz is bigger than an Imperial oz? To be honest, the Merican 12 oz bottle is equivalent to 12.49 Imperial fluid ozs. of beer. So how can 12 ozs of Merican beer be 355 ml and the Canadian 12 oz bottle be 341 ml?. Oh yah! It must be that extra water they sneak in down there.  =))
    First off, I'm 62, I grew up with the Imperial version of the ridiculous system the US still clings to. I was agreeing with you in that in Canada light beers often carry a premium price because the price is artificially set by the Liquor boards. Who would pay more for less? You are right. 

No one was attempting to body slam anyone, if I offended, I am sorry. I know the US ounce is larger than an Imperial ounce, well because it is. Nola points this out in his post. Suggest the next time you hit the LCBO, check out Miller Genuine Draft in bottles or any other imported US beer, if it is made in the US it will be 355 ml or 12 US oz. Check a bottle of Molson, it is 341 ml. Imperial, American or Zulu ounces aside, ml's are ml's. Interesting if you buy cans, they are 12 US oz, Boxer Lucky Lager, Coors or Molson, hence 355 mls. Cans come off the same line for beer as they do for soda and are sized to US 12 ounce. After the US threw the King out, they used the standard they had, which I think is the wine measure prior to 1800. 
    You are correct, no question, the Imperial gallon is 160 ounces based on four 40 oz quarts. The US gallon is 128 Us oz based on four 32 US oz quarts. But, a US ounce is about 4% larger than an Imperial ounce. 
    Most of the world understands the US system, very few understand the Imperial system, Canadian government might have had it right, we had a choice, convert to the US system or convert to the global metric system. 
    Again if I offended , it was not my intent, I apologize. 
    here's another reference;

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Kilkenny Irish ale, Guiness and Maudite
    Kilkenny is very good. Sometimes I think I just like to watch it "boil" on a pour......
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    What the $@&amp;? is the imperial system. I remember as a kid the world tried to cram that metric &@$&amp; on us and we pimp slapped them down. Gotta keep your pimp hands strong.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple said:
    What the $@&amp;? is the imperial system. I remember as a kid the world tried to cram that metric &@$&amp; on us and we pimp slapped them down. Gotta keep your pimp hands strong.
    It is the system you used before you tossed his highness on his arse, in 1776.
    The metric system, although tough to swallow, is so much easier to use and understand. It is also recognized world wide. 
  • Sierra Nevada Celebration is awesome. Also, Rogue Santa's Private Reserve
  • Markers 46
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Also, pretty much any of the Arrogant Bastard ales from Stone.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • "Robert the Bruce" by 3Floyds in Munster, Indiana
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    A good black ipa otter creek brews a good one
  • @skiddymarker You are absolutely right! I had everything back assword (as is usually the case). I take everything back that I said.  ~:>