Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Icing the breasts

I plan to spatchcock, raised direct at 350-400 dome temp, a 13lb turkey that has been injected. I see that some people ice the breasts. I have never done that before (which, of course, doesn't mean anything). How do you do it? How does that play into the whole bringing the meat to room temperature before putting on grill thing?
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• The theory of icing the breast is to cool it down so the white and dark meat will reach final cooked temp at the same time, I have done once with ok results. If you are planning to spatchcock the bird I do not see any point in icing the breast.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You don't need to ice spatchturk, but you do need to orient the bird so the dark meat is closer to the back of the egg where it's hotter.  The dark meat needs to cook to 180 and the breast to 160.
    Put ice into ziplock bag (1 gal).  Place bag over turkey breasts (or put turkey breast side down on bag of ice).  Wait 30-60 minutes.  Remove ice and cook bird.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Nolaegghead.... can you explain about orientating the bird for dark meat cooking?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The back of the egg is the hotter than the front.  So you put the bird in so it's ass and legs are towards the back and the breasts and front of the bird is facing you, like it wants to attack you for cooking it.  This is it's rotation.  You still cook it with the inside of the bird facing down.
  • You don't need to ice spatchturk, but you do need to orient the bird so the dark meat is closer to the back of the egg where it's hotter.  The dark meat needs to cook to 180 and the breast to 160.
    I agree no need to ice a spatchturk or spatchcock, looks great if you present it before carving. Family is now ho hum about presentation, they just want to get into the eating. Over the past few months, I "chop shop" the bird, parted out into six pieces. (2 X leg/thigh, 2 X breast, 2 X wings).

The leg/thighs go on first and within 10 to 15 minutes, the breasts go on and then in 10 to 15 minutes the wings. Everything cooks to the temps you note, much easier to handle and a better cook, IMHO. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • I agree no need to ice a spatchturk or spatchcock, looks great if you present it before carving. Family is now ho hum about presentation, they just want to get into the eating. Over the past few months, I "chop shop" the bird, parted out into six pieces. (2 X leg/thigh, 2 X breast, 2 X wings).

The leg/thighs go on first and within 10 to 15 minutes, the breasts go on and then in 10 to 15 minutes the wings. Everything cooks to the temps you note, much easier to handle and a better cook, IMHO. 
    Skiddy, that cut up method sounds great.  I may do this and put the cut pieces on a root veggie bed so the veggies roast and cook in the turkey juices.  This would sure make carving a breeze.  Do you split and half the breast or leave whole.   What is the total cooking time?
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited November 2012
    @Austin_Egghead, Great idea with the root veggies, must try that - I like carrots and turnips. Anyway, breast is split so two pieces total, I leave the keel bone in one side, it is easier to get the meat off after it is cooked. Once off the grill and set up, I use a fillet knife and remove the entire breast from the bone, then carve by cutting across the grain. As you note very easy once the wings are off. This way, every piece of breast has a little skin/rub. If it is a small bird <10 pounds, I sometimes only cook 1/2 the bird, does the two of us for at least a couple of meals. Cooking time can vary depending on the bird, but  <10# is done in <90 minutes temp at 325-350. Smaller pieces cook faster I think - but always cook to temp. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!