Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg won't get hot

easttexasaggie04
easttexasaggie04 Posts: 108
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
My large BGE won't get much above 450 degrees, even with leaving the top and bottom vent open all the way.  I'm guessing because the holes in the bottom are clogged with ash? Or could it be something else?

Whats the best way to unclog it?

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Take out the grate, fire ring and fire box and vacuum out everything, including the grate holes, firebox holes. You can use a shop vac but be prepared to clog up the filter.  Reassemble and load with fresh lump, larger pieces on the bottom.  Shake out the screen if it needs it, or run without it.
    I'd bet it's clogged holes in the charcoal grate (like you mentioned).  If you don't want to take it apart, take a coat hanger or something similar and poke up through the bottom vent into the holes.  That'll usually do it.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Buy a high que fire grate and never look back!
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    Ignition, fuel, O2 are the components of fire.  You lack O2.  Put on the gook gloves and root through the (cold) lump pushing all the ash through the grate and clear the holes in the firebox then pull out the ash before each cook.  Less than ten minutes work.  You will never have another problem of this order.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Buy a high que fire grate and never look back!

Seems this is the best advice for you, since it seems you don't care to clean your Egg on a regular basis.   This High Que grate works well, and now the ash tool does all the clean up work for you.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Take out the grate, fire ring and fire box and vacuum out everything, including the grate holes, firebox holes. You can use a shop vac but be prepared to clog up the filter.  Reassemble and load with fresh lump, larger pieces on the bottom.  Shake out the screen if it needs it, or run without it.
    To not clog up your shop vac, learned this from a neighbour in Villa Park Il. He used his vac all the time to clean his fireplace, I asked how he kept the filter clean. He slipped a cheapo $1 canister vac bag over the standard $20 shop vac filter, held it with a rubber band. Works like a charm. Reduces the suction, but then "dead lump" is not that heavy.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    If the top is 'open all the way', sounds like the daisy is still on, just all the way open. Is that right? If so, lose the daisy
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Second to lose the daisy wheel, also clean out ash, pull the guts out and shop vac, if nothing works! I use the ash tool before each cook to move the d Old lump around letting the tiny pieces fall down then double checking all holes in the firebox.
  • James MB
    James MB Posts: 359

1. Wiggle stick

2. dry lump

3 Use it more often - an unused egg can absorb moisture (lump and egg) so takes longer to get up to temp, as Stike pointed out on another post.

A good de-ashing can help with all this but it is really just a combination of the above - putting on dry lump and getting good airflow.

• bobstaff
    bobstaff Posts: 2
     I'm guessing because the holes in the bottom are clogged with ash?

Whats the best way to unclog it?
    I found a quick (2 second) blast from a leaf blower into the bottom vent would clear the holes and allow the temp to rise.

It stirs the ash up a little of course (but not too badly) so I'd be careful if you already have food on the grill, but if you're just trying to get it up to temp before baking a pizza for example, it worked for me.

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    bobstaff said:
    I found a quick (2 second) blast from a leaf blower into the bottom vent would clear the holes and allow the temp to rise.

It stirs the ash up a little of course (but not too badly) so I'd be careful if you already have food on the grill, but if you're just trying to get it up to temp before baking a pizza for example, it worked for me.
    This made me laugh (I'm sure it will work)!! I had visions of an ash covered cook!!  Sorry, sometimes I just think funny (to me) thoughts
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• bobstaff
    bobstaff Posts: 2
    This made me laugh (I'm sure it will work)!! I had visions of an ash covered cook!!  Sorry, sometimes I just think funny (to me) thoughts
    I kept the dome closed otherwise it might have been more exciting.

I had the convector in and a pizza stone on the grill and just had a couple of pieces of ash on the stone to brush off.

Afterwards the temp went from 400  to 550 pretty quickly.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    I wonder if the OP is still having issues?
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • The_Stache
    bobstaff said:
    I kept the dome closed otherwise it might have been more exciting.

I had the convector in and a pizza stone on the grill and just had a couple of pieces of ash on the stone to brush off.

Afterwards the temp went from 400  to 550 pretty quickly.
    No offense brother!  I'm really thinking about this now... Hey Buddy, could you stand over there (downwind)???  Of course I would only do this with a cold grill!

The excitement of seeing the "BGE Volcano" spewing ash is just tooo tempting!!

Welcome to the insanity!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• The_Stache
    PS... Ag-X Class of 73
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    I don't think I'd want to use a leaf blower - especially when the grill is lit.  I have a wiggle rod which works very well. You could make your own from a metal coat hanger, or order a very nice one from thirdeye at:

http://www.thirdeyeq.com/products---pricing.html

Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    The leafblower comment reminds me of the video where guys use a leafblower on a ceramic chiminea.

Language Warning!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K8FwMlkoxjI
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,531
    Toxarch said:
    The leafblower comment reminds me of the video where guys use a leafblower on a ceramic chiminea.

Language Warning!
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K8FwMlkoxjI
    Wow this video just saved me from buying the BBQ dragon.   =)
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• HofstraJet
    HofstraJet Posts: 1,155
    I have a small Sears shop vac with the fine ash filter and it never gets clogged. Works great and takes just a few minutes every so often. With the KAB, I just lift and vacuum.
    Two Large Eggs, 6 gal Cajun Fryer, and a MiniMax in Charlotte, NC - My New Table
    Twitter: @ Bags
    Blog: TheJetsFan.com
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    I wonder if the OP is still having issues?
    We may never know. He hasn't logged in since August of 2013. One thing is for sure, he has missed out on some great commentary and anus recipes. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,109
    Whenever I get down to close to empty on lump I go ahead and take it apart for cleaning- ~4-6 months.  I use the leaf blower to get the final amount of ash out.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president.