5 blocks firm/extra firm organic tofu 2 teaspoon vegan poultry seasoning (or more to taste) 1/4-1/2 cup fresh chopped herbs (I use savory, rosemary, sage and basil - but any herbs will work.) 1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable stock powder (or vegetarian chicken flavor if you can find it) salt and pepper
Marinade Ingredients (use vegan versions):
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar 1/4 - 1/2 cup vegan red wine 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (same as you used in tofu) 1 tablespoon veg stock powder dissolved in a couple tablespoons of hot water salt and pepper to taste 1 teaspoon of vegan mustard (Dijon or seed works best) add a sprinkle of hot pepper flakes if you like (I always do) InstructionsTurkey:
1. Blend tofu in blender or food processor until lumps are gone. You can mash by hand, but I prefer to blend it for a better consistency.
2. Transfer to a large bowl, stir in herbs, poultry seasoning, stock powder and salt and pepper.
3. Line a medium, round bottomed colander with one layer of cheese cloth or a clean dish towel. Put the tofu mixture in colander and fold remaining cheese cloth over the top. Place the colander on a plate (to catch excess water being squeezed out) and put a heavy weight on top. Put in the fridge and press for aprox. 2-3 hours or overnight if possible.
4. After pressing and with the tofu still in the colander, scoop out the center, leaving about an inch of tofu around the edges. Place your stuffing in the cavity. Put the tofu mixture you scooped out over the stuffing and press down firmly.
5. Flip the formed turkey on to an oiled cookie sheet, use the excess tofu to form the "turkey legs and wings" for an added turkey look. Brush the whole turkey with the marinade.
6. Cook at 350° for about 1.5 hours brushing with marinade every 15 min or whenever you remember to.
The "turkey" can cook for as long as you need it to. once, I let mine cook all day, basting it about every half hour or so and it turned out great. I usually put it in the oven as I'm starting the rest of the meal... by the time the potatoes and all the veggies are done, the "turkey" is ready to go.
1. Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together (or blend in the blender if you prefer)
2. taste it.
3. adjust the spices if you feel the need NotesNumber of Servings: 6Time to Prepare: 30 prep