Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fat Cap on Brisket: Remove?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My recent brisket cook went well, overall and I really appreciate all the feedback from everyone...[p]Question...do most of you leave the cap on and if so how thick?...if left on would it ever burn off or do you just remove it when slicing?...also, I cooked it with fat cap up - any opinions on this?[p]Thanks again...[p]Dr. No

Comments

• Parrothead
    Parrothead Posts: 101
    Dr. No,
    It's funny you post this question at this moment. I just fired up ol' humpty to put on two flats before going to bed. I bet you get a few different opinions on this one. My opinion is that I leave the cap alone, and cook with cap facing up. I will sometimes trim it, but for the most part I leave it alone. I am by no means a pro at brisket, but I have been very pleased with the results on the ones I have done.
    I haven't heard of anyone saying they burned the fat cap off. Normally, brisket gets pulled off at around 190-200* internal.
    Just my two pennies!![p]
    Wobbly pops to ya,[p]PH

Wobbly Pops to ya, Chris
  • Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Dr. No,[p]Do mine fat cap up after trimming to about 1/4 inch all around. You will still have some fat to trim after pulling off.
  • Citizen Q
    Citizen Q Posts: 484
    Dr. No,
    You got it, fat cap up, untrimmed for best results. If you want to trim the fat after cooking, you can pretty much just scrape it off with the back of a kitchen knife, but you want to leave a little bit on there, brisket tends to dry out quickly after cooking, especially when reheating, if you don't have a little extra fat (or sauce) to help keep it moist.[p]Cheers,
    C~Q

• James
    James Posts: 232
    Dr. No,[p]I also Leave the fat cap alone until the briskett is cooked.. cook it fat side up.[p]
  • drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Dr. No,[p]I trim very little and cook fat side down. The radiant heat comes mainly from the bottom so I feel that letting it be absorbed by the fat cap is a good idea. The fat cap is easily trimmed after cooking.

Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • Madhatter
    Madhatter Posts: 139
    Dr. No,
    Leave it on, fat side down, pull about 185...[p]YMMV...